PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1642 Vacuum

Loy Hawes
09-14-2005, 12:05 AM
In my quest for vacuum I contemplated where I should place the gauge and the valve for adjusting pressure. I thought why not place it where the other controls are. On the headstock. I went to a large electronics store called Fry's and found a 5" magnetic CB antenna mount. I stripped off the mounting post and cable.This left me with a chrome base. Since I am not a big fan of chrome and also wanting to protect the finish on the headstock, I coated the entire piece with Polyshield rubber coating.

While the Polyshield was drying I went to Home Depot and picked up the valve and all of the fittings I would need. All I needed now was a way to mount the plumbing to the base. I dove into my miscellaneous bin and came up with a bracket from a Rancho lift kit for an old Toyota 4x4 I once owned. It was a perfect fit. I finished the plumbing, then I mounted the 2.5" gauge that I found online at a surpluscenter.com.

All I have left is to build a filter and I plan on copying Bill Esposito's design for that. Anyways,I am almost there and I thought you guys might find this idea useful.

Jack Hogoboom
09-15-2005, 1:53 PM
Loy,

Very slick. I just finished one for my Jet 1442. I used pipe hangar strapping to attach it to the lathe. Worked out well.

How do you intend to ever get a 5" magnet off of your lathe???

Jack

Loy Hawes
09-15-2005, 6:03 PM
Come off!?!?

Seriously though, it takes a little muscle but it does come off. I chose the 5" magnetic CB mount because it was a basic design that allowed me to modify it easily.