PDA

View Full Version : Captured Hollowing Modification

Dave Fritz
03-09-2016, 8:00 PM
Wondering if anyone has done a modification on the laser light on a Jamison style hollowing system? The tubular 7/8 metal just doesn't want to stay put. Curious if anyone has done anything to improve it?

Thanks,

Rick Bailey
03-09-2016, 10:03 PM
Wondering if anyone has done a modification on the laser light on a Jamison style hollowing system? The tubular 7/8 metal just doesn't want to stay put. Curious if anyone has done anything to improve it?

Thanks,

Dave,
You could try a 3/8x3/8 steel bar like Monster has.

Dave Fritz
03-10-2016, 9:21 AM
Rick, thanks for the suggestion. I've read posts on modifications back in 2004 and wondered if anyone came up with a solution they're happy with. I'm also trying to decide if I want a laser or a TV camera set up like the visualizer. In any case I'll stick with a captured system, but modified quite a bit.

Ralph Lindberg
03-10-2016, 9:00 PM
I've been working on prototypes to use the McNaughton laser on the Jamison. My prototype "joiners" have all been wood, but the final will be a chunk of 1-1/2 x 3 x 3 plastic I have. But it's going at the same location as the Jamison

Dwight Rutherford
03-11-2016, 12:09 AM
With the help of a friend with machining skills. I wanted three things, 1.The arm needed to hold its setting, 2. Wanted to be able to change vertical height (clear through the steady rest) 3. Hold the laser element and battery box. This is what we came up with.

Ralph Lindberg
03-11-2016, 7:30 PM
Dwight, the way you did the junction "joiner" a different way then I am (or the original). I'm having troubles getting a tight fit "wrapping" around the junction due to the sloppy welds
My issues may be related to the problems Dave is having

Dave Fritz
03-12-2016, 9:43 AM
Dwight, thanks for that. It looks really solid. Ralph, you're correct, the tubes don't seem to fit tightly into the holders and with just one thumb nut there's some slop.