PDA

View Full Version : ULS driver corrupted after windows 10 updates?

Allan Longson
03-09-2016, 7:13 PM
We recently upgraded to Windows 10, now every time there is a Win10 software update the ULS driver gets screwed up. If you run a job it looks fine in the ULS page but on the job sheet things cut at random all over place, double up or just don't cut at all!!!!!
Universal are no help, "only some users experience this and then it's generally only once." Overnight had a second Win 10 update, 2nd time things have screwed up with the ULS driver. A remove and reinstallation of the ULS driver fixes it but this isn't really a long term solution.
Anyone else ever had this happen? Just wondering if it is a Win10 issue or is a deeper problem although we were previously using Win7 and never had this problem. And is it constrained to just this type of ULS machine?
Using a VLS 6.60.

Mark Sipes
03-09-2016, 7:26 PM
I have a computer that has Win10 loaded on it but there are several print drivers for 10 that do not work properly. Are you sure the computer it self was tested to operate with Win10..... I know Dell and HP list the older computers that were tested for use with 10. "Just saying" Even though 10 loaded that's no guarantee the computer can fully handle it.

Mark Taylor2
03-10-2016, 2:55 AM
Allan,

Give some serious thought to rolling back to Win7 if you can. There are many issues with Win10 and drivers at this point. Some of the more common ones are USB ports and Wifi. They seem to be random as I've not seen any reports regarding brand, clean install, or upgrade to Win10.

Allan Longson
03-10-2016, 6:01 AM
Laptop is 2 years old, Dell XPS 17. It was certified by Dell for Win10. There are no other issues with any other programs or ports or wifi or anything else. And again it's not a consistent issue, it only happens when windows does an update. Between updates the system runs fine and jobs print fine. The local ULS rep did hint that this is an issue that happens on other windows versions besides Win10 but ULS have no idea why it happens or what causes it, yet.
I wish I could roll back but can't as I have some other programs that are optimised for Win10.

Bill George
03-10-2016, 9:15 AM
You need to check with Ross Moshinsky on here, he has all the answers for Windows 10.

Lee DeRaud
03-10-2016, 11:45 AM
You need to check with Ross Moshinsky on here, he has all the answers for Windows 10.The laser is probably just afraid of Windows 10.

Art Mann
03-10-2016, 11:57 AM
I don't have a laser but I can't count the number of times over the last decades that I have upgraded the operating system only to find that a printer driver didn't work. It is incumbent upon the creator of the device driver to maintain compatibility. The development and release of newer operating systems can't be held back to verify compatibility with hundreds of thousands of device drivers written but thousands of companies. The problem and its solution belong to Universal. I am running Win 7 on the computer that controls my CNC router (WinCNC). I won't upgrade to Win 10 until WinCNC verifies that it will work. Microsoft developers have probably never even heard of WinCNC or Universal for that matter.

John Noell
03-10-2016, 9:03 PM
FWLIW, Microsoft automatically "updates" many drivers when doing updates, but not always with working ones. Toshibas in particular have had terrible problems with the sound drivers from Microsoft. And if you download and install working drivers, MS often "updates" them to ones that do not work. Since most people cannot turn off automatic updates in Win10 it is extremely aggravating. I am writing this on a Win10 box that works quite well. However, my lasers are only connected to Win7 boxes. :)

Lee DeRaud
03-10-2016, 9:41 PM
FWLIW, Microsoft automatically "updates" many drivers when doing updates, but not always with working ones. Toshibas in particular have had terrible problems with the sound drivers from Microsoft. And if you download and install working drivers, MS often "updates" them to ones that do not work. Since most people cannot turn off automatic updates in Win10 it is extremely aggravating. I am writing this on a Win10 box that works quite well. However, my lasers are only connected to Win7 boxes. :)^ this.

Allan, it's probably worth going into the Device Manager (I'm assuming that still exists in Win10) and checking the parameters (filename/date/etc) for the ULS driver chain while it's working, including the low-level USB driver for whatever hub/port it's attached to. Repeat after it updates and fails to see if the update replaced ULS's stuff with something generic.

It could well be ULS is using a perfectly good low-level USB driver that doesn't have an actual MS-issued signature. Some interesting reading: https://www.osr.com/blog/2015/03/18/microsoft-signatures-required-km-drivers-windows-10/