PDA

View Full Version : ADVs or EDVs......wiring......

Ken Fitzgerald
03-09-2016, 5:40 PM
I just purchased an Ingersoll/Rand automatic drain valve/electronic drain valve for my air compressor.

Those who have installed them, did you just plug it into a wall outlet or did you wire it through the ON/OFF switch of your air compressor?

BTW....ADV or EDV....Bruce has the same model I ordered. Apparently it was originally called an "Automatic Drain Valve hence the ADV abbreviation". Now it is referred to as an "Electronic Drain Valve" hence the abbreviation EDV.

Bruce Page
03-09-2016, 6:59 PM
Ken, I mounted a lighted rocker switch into the top of the belt guard. I did not wire it into the compressor electrics.

Jim Becker
03-10-2016, 11:33 AM
Mine is just plugged into an available wall outlet and is on 24x7. That's the point of the "ADV"... :)

Bruce Page
03-10-2016, 1:58 PM
Mine is just plugged into an available wall outlet and is on 24x7. That's the point of the "ADV"... :)
My compressor can go unused for days at a time. I didn't see any point in cycling the ADV 24/7, causing undue wear & tear on both systems. I turn on both when ever I am using air and turn off both when I'm done.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-10-2016, 4:52 PM
My EDV-2000 is supposed to deliver tomorrow. I think what I will do is test it. If when it is shut off, it allows liquids to drain, I will wire it into the On/Off switch of my air compressor. If it doesn't allow the tank to drain when it doesn't have power applied, I will plug it into a nearby wall outlet.

Bruce Page
03-10-2016, 5:06 PM
The valve should be in the closed position when the power is turned off.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-12-2016, 10:55 PM
It arrived yesterday. I installed it today. It was as you stated Bruce, closed when powered Off.

It worked well! Here's hoping for a long life for the automatic drain!

Bruce Page
03-13-2016, 2:57 PM
How did you end up wiring it?

Ken Fitzgerald
03-13-2016, 9:26 PM
Bruce,I just plugged it into another close by outlet. I don't know if I will put a switch on it or not. I'm still considering it.

One thing that surprised me was the amount of water that was expelled after allowing my 26 gallon tank to recharge one time! I didn't expect to see that much!

I noticed in your photo that you had a container of sorts. For kicks and giggles, I took an empty Folgers plastic coffee can and drilled two 3/4" holes in the plastic lid and put the hose in that. When I came back into the shop later, the coffee can was still where I left it but the lid was blown to the other end of the shop behind my lathe.:eek: I drilled another 7 or 8, 3/4" holes in the lid, shortened the timer to 10 minutes and watched what happened. Every thing stayed in place this time. I think I will hit my professional painter neighbor up for an empty 6 gallon paint bucket and use it for the final container.

Bruce Page
03-13-2016, 9:52 PM
My first version was a one gal plastic milk container, it didn't work out. . .:rolleyes: I bought a 5 gallon plastic kerosene can, modified the vent to accept a 1/4" barbed thingy and ran 1/4" tygon tubing between the barbed thingy and the ADV.

Jim Becker
03-14-2016, 10:34 AM
What little moisture I get is just spit out on the floor of my cyclone/compressor closet. It's pretty much not even noticeable and no container was necessary. But mine does run 24/7...

Ken Fitzgerald
03-14-2016, 10:16 PM
Hey Bruce.... Do you know how high an old man can jump when that EDV/ADV cycles at 140 psi while you are sitting on a stool sipping on a cup of coffee?

I was proud of myself that when I jumped, I managed to not get coffee on anything but the floor! LOL!

Bruce Page
03-14-2016, 10:43 PM
LOL, it's gotten my attention more than once!

Jim Becker
03-15-2016, 10:31 AM
One of the benefits of having the cyclone and compressor in their own little room is that unless one is doing something in that little room, the auto drain "sound" isn't noticeable in the shop. :D