PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Super Dust Gorilla

Patrick Harper
03-09-2016, 2:44 PM
I just purchased a 3hp Oneida Super Dust Gorilla, and I plan to go with the wall mount. Unfortunately, the best place for me to mount the cyclone is on a wall adjoining the house. Fortunately, this corner is furthest away from any bedrooms. I would still like to minimize noise transfer while mounting the beast securely. For anyone who has done this before:

1) Is a 2x4 structural wall sufficient to mount this thing? If not, what did you do? I could imagine securing 2x6's to the existing wall and securing the mounting bracket to that.
2) How much noise transfer is there really? Is it even really worth worrying about if the kitchen is the only thing on the other side of the wall? I could imagine using something like this: http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/03533494

Thanks in advance.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-09-2016, 2:55 PM
Patrick,

My 3HP Super Gorilla is bolted directly through the 1/2" plywood wall to the 2x6 studs lag bolts .I don't notice any huge amount of noise outside the shop but I have a standalone shop.

Patrick Harper
03-09-2016, 3:29 PM
Thanks Ken! Fortunately, there is insulation on the other side. From the db stats on Oneida's site, I don't think it will be any louder than my current Delta DC.

Patrick Harper
03-09-2016, 8:07 PM
Will a 2x4 studded wall be sufficient for the bracket or should I add more to the structure?

Ken Fitzgerald
03-10-2016, 4:56 PM
Patrick, I don't feel qualified to answer that question. You might try calling Oneida's customer service. They answered a lot of questions for me. As I stated earlier, mine is mounted through 1/2" plywood into the 2x6 walls studs using lag bolts.

Charles R Johnson
03-10-2016, 8:52 PM
Patrick,
If your wall is a normally constructed 2x4 wall with studs 16" on center i don't think you will have any problems with the load. I would run 2 ea 2x6 horizontally and catch a minimum of 3 studs, one at the two heights to match the bolt pattern for the wall bracket. I personnally think you are going to have quite a bit of noise transmission into the house. I went out and felt mine and there was definitely some vibration transmitted into the wall. I don't think it would fly at my house. I don't think those rubber connectors are going to do much.......... Best way to isolate would be with springs in a hanging fashion but that might be more than you want to deal with. CJ

Patrick Harper
03-11-2016, 9:45 AM
Thanks guys. I secured the mount directly to the wall last night. It was easily able to support my weight. However, it does creak ever so slightly when applying weight, but I'm pretty sure it's the drywall between the bracket and the studs.

Jim Dwight
03-12-2016, 7:46 AM
I don't know what is above the shop but a 2x4 wall is fully able to support another floor and the roof load. So if the shop is 1 story without a finished floor above, the wall is lightly loaded and shouldn't notice the weight of the DC. My shop has a finished floor and roof above it but if I get a DC, I wouldn't worry about the weight on the wall. As long as it is built right, it will be fine. The floor loads are 30 or 40 lbs/square feet by design. That is how everything is sized. But nobody has that kind of weight in their room except maybe in a spot or two. The room above my shop, for instance, is rarely occupied and has a bed and a couple dressers in it. Maybe 300-400 lbs of stuff in a room over 200/square feet. So it is designed for 6000 lbs, at least, and hold less than 10% of that. Point loads would be a little higher but you get the idea.

Patrick Harper
03-14-2016, 9:58 AM

Here's what I ended up doing. I secured 2 x 2x6's across four studs using 5" lag bolts. Then I attached the mount to the 2x6's. The mount can easily support my 210lbs without any protests from the walls.

Jim Andrew
03-16-2016, 9:06 PM
I had my cyclone attached to the wall as the pic above for 12 years, and changed to a 3hp cyclone this winter, and have the new to me one installed on legs. It is quieter than the old 2hp unit attached to the wall. It is installed in a storage room next to the shop, and I installed an outside air dump, which is working out very well. No way I would buy less than a 3hp unit.

Patrick Harper
03-28-2016, 8:06 AM
How did everyone mount the magnetic starter box?

Ben Rivel
03-28-2016, 11:06 AM
How did everyone mount the magnetic starter box?
Cant you just mount it on the wall? Or if you mean how does one do that, you take off the white/light grey front cover and the wall mounting holes are accessible under that.

Patrick Harper
03-28-2016, 1:54 PM
Yes! I didn't realize that. There wasn't anything in the instructions and I didn't want to open it up if I didn't have to. Thanks!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-28-2016, 2:07 PM
Patrick,

A little late but here's some photos of my installation. Yes, you mount it to the wall.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?77637-Finally-some-DC-progress