PDA

View Full Version : Clamp down guides? Dados/square ends

Dean Lapinel
03-09-2016, 2:16 PM
I have multiple furniture projects going and a greater need for numerous dados and square end boards (for dovetails)on boards that are from 15" to 18" wide. I don't have a sliding table for my PM TS; I don't have a large enough sled (nor do I want one (limited space to store).

I have used a generic clamp down guide that didn't work well for me as it had movement even when clamped. I could have used wood clamps behind the guide but I would prefer a good system for the tablesaw or router that works accurately for the max width of 18". I don't work with plywood so I don't need the big festool tracks.

Any recommendations for a guide/ track system for the router? Other simple options so I can use the table saw with my dado set?

Hoang N Nguyen
03-09-2016, 2:20 PM
https://youtu.be/7j4vGS4HY-8

You can try and make this jig to create your dado

Tom Ewell
03-09-2016, 2:55 PM
Hard to beat a decent old fashioned C clamp for good clamping pressure, just need to make sure that pads are used to prevent marring the surfaces.
Most any straight edge system like the one Hoang suggests can work for the dados, for years I used a clamp on T square guide jig to true/clean up edges with a router after roughing out the length, now a track saw gets used for most of the time for the wider stuff.

pat warner
03-09-2016, 5:30 PM
"Any recommendations for a guide/ track system for the router?"
Did a track system for the router.
Not hardly a slam dunk, in fact, heroic.
Took months of study, testing materials, methods and clamping schemes.
(Not for sale, nor are there any plans). (http://patwarner.com/images/new_router_table1.jpg)
But with the sled (and another not shown), I can rout up to ~2" x 13" x 25"" with the work immobile and flat, held x toggles.
The router is on its own track independent of the work sled. The router is driven on a 45° dovetailed track/platform.
It is possible!
Have ~ a year on it, ready to scale up, should I choose too.

glenn bradley
03-09-2016, 5:47 PM
Make a sled big enough and tear it down when your done.

Don Jarvie
03-09-2016, 7:16 PM
Buy a good clamp down guide at least 48 inches long. Sounds like using a router to make the dados is what you need.

Todd Davidson
03-09-2016, 8:12 PM
When I had a bazillion dados to cut for a wine cellar I made for a client I purchased the Router Wizard from Eagle Jigs. It can be set for any width dado and made repeat dado cuts a breeze.

Andrew Hughes
03-09-2016, 9:29 PM
How about a Richline Machine they have a machine that uses a router that can cut some pretty long Sliding Dts.

http://richlinemachines.com/news.html

Dean Lapinel
03-09-2016, 10:10 PM
Hoang N Nguyen- Thanks- That's a nice looking jig for variable width dados. In my case I can just use a bit without a bushing so I was hoping there might be a crosscut track system with a universal guide for a router. With so many dado's I get fatigued...don't know I'm tired until I make a mistake and wander off my guide if it isn't "guided'. It would be nice to use a system that could square an 18" edge on a heavy 48" length board. Need perfect squares for dovetails.
Tom Ewell- Thanks- What track system are you using?
Pat Warner- Thanks- Very clever table! Larger scale would be awesome but man...that's a lot of work to make. You seem to be a combination of an artist with an engineer's way of thinking.
Glenn Bradley- Thanks- I thought about that but the density of the wood I'm working is high and with the longer lengths I don't think their would be enough support for a sled. I probably need a sliding table for my PM 66 but I don't know what's out there. Been a neanderthal too long.
Don Jarvie-Thanks- That's an option but I don't know which clamp downs are good and I would love the option of a track guide for the router or even circular saw (for squaring the edge).
Todd Davidson -Thanks - Looks interesting but the page says "Product close-out. Due to changes with our web site we presently cannot take orders on line."
Andrew Hughes- Thanks but that's too pricey of an option for me.

Tom Ewell
03-09-2016, 11:03 PM
The T square thing was just a shop made jig held with C clamps, I've also put together the adjustable dado jigs, one for straight on and another for angular stair plows.

The track system is older Festool with MFT which allow cross cuts up to a little over 24" but many variations are available now and it's not too complicated to do a shop built jig following the same principles of saw/router guide. Smaller versions could be done using bench dogs to align the stock and track perpendicular to each other.