PDA

View Full Version : Half moon coming from laser tube?

Ken Smith Jr
03-09-2016, 9:12 AM
Was cutting some material and getting double lines. Cleaned all mirrors etc, still double lines. Looked for any blockage, none. Went to then check alignment backwards from the laser head to the tube and the half moon burn starts out of the laser tube itself? Kind of stuck now as I'm not sure what to try next?? Is the tube going bad? Is it an adjustment with the tube or first mirror? Thanks for any help!
Ken

Dan Hintz
03-09-2016, 11:46 AM
Two possibilities: 1) Internal optics are hosed, or 2) Gas is hosed. Either way, it means a new tube is in order.

Kev Williams
03-09-2016, 11:56 AM
Is it possible a piece of dirt, or a spider, or some other foreign object has been fried against the end of the laser tube, and is diverting the beam?

One day when starting a job in the Triumph, when the laser started firing, a very warm miller flew out of the lens tube! And part of his self was burned to my lens...

Ken Smith Jr
03-09-2016, 3:33 PM
Thank you. Yes I'm guessing it's the tube. Was hoping it wasn't.

Rich Harman
03-09-2016, 4:49 PM
Agree about the tube, unless you are firing it at very low. At low power it can make funny shapes. Fire at medium to high power into a piece of clear acrylic for a couple of seconds to check for sure. Make sure that it is not close to the output window so that it remains clean.

Ken Smith Jr
03-10-2016, 10:08 AM
The only reason I even noticed something wrong was when I was doing outlines or cutting and it was doubling or shadowing the actual line. Using it normally to engrave wood / plastic (Fill / Scan mode) it was working okay, haha. Thing is I replaced the tube last May! I'm in contact with the place I bought it from and sent pics and info off the tube, so we'll see if they can help. Again thanks for the help!