PDA

View Full Version : LN Edge Trimming Plane

Gary Herrmann
09-13-2005, 9:14 PM
Has anyone bought or used this plane? It looks like it would work well - I assume it would be manufactured to their usual high tolerances. But is it a gimmick? Would I do just as well with any plane and a shooting board? I would imagine a plane and a shooting board would be much easier for a long board.

This isn't a criticism, I'm just not all that knowledgeable about planes - specialty planes in particular. That said, I am really liking my LV LA planes...

Mike Wenzloff
09-13-2005, 9:50 PM
Hi Gary,

I have the pair. I use them for squaring long grain edges for both long and short boards. For long stock after shooting if the board is already straight, just to insure a square glue surface for edge joining.

They do work for end grain. But like you mention, a shooting board is much easier. I have used them to pare short tenons to fit. But other planes work as well.

Judging one can find originals in the wild, they had more than a passing fancy--Stanely made them from 1911 to 1961.

Mike

Alan Turner
09-14-2005, 5:41 AM
I don't have one, but have thought about it. I thought they were for making adjustments in already joined or grooved work, where you could not get the piece onto a shooting board, but could be wrong.

Derek Cohen
09-14-2005, 7:56 AM
Hi Gary

The LN Edge planes used to be on my Wish List. However I really cannot justify them since there are other ways, better ways, to trim edges.

On end grain I prefer a shooting board with a LV LA Jack and low angle blade.

On long grain and long boards, a useful jig is the Stanley #386 guide, used here on a #5 1/2. These can be hard to find. LV make a version of this, and I believe that they are throwing them in with the new BU Jointer.

But the most inexpensive option for squaring edges of long grain is the lowly Stanley #78 or, as in picture below, a Record #778. This does a fantastic job (in addition to being a rabbit plane).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Gary Herrmann
09-14-2005, 9:52 AM
but I guess the answers wouldn't change too much. Thanks for the input, guys.

Robert Tarr
09-14-2005, 10:39 AM
I have the LN version and have used it. I like the plane and it works great. Having said that, I would reach for a long plane (a #7 in my case) every time I need to true a long edge, up to the length of the plane. What this plane can do really well is angled edge etc. by adding a wedge to the inside face. I would not rely on this plane for jointing boards for glue up.

If I had it to do over again, I would probably still pick up the same style plane, but probably from LV, as the LV will do a full 1", versus the LN which is about 3/4". I don't use the plane often, but it does work well.

Robert

Tony Zaffuto
09-14-2005, 12:06 PM
I would agree with what Robert Tarr said. I also have the LN version, and the cut length is a minor issue.

The plane is a "fun" plane to use. I basically use it only for clean up purposes and very minor tweaking of an edge. My five year old just loves the thin, tight curlies that come out of the plane.