PDA

View Full Version : Old Biesemeyer??

Dick Brown
03-08-2016, 9:15 PM
Did some work on a fella's Powermatic and he gave me what looks like a Biesemeyer fence and rails. A bit diffrent than I have seen before though. Very early one maybe? Angle irons look same as on my saw with all the mounting holes and scallops for miter grooves, etc. Rail is the usual 2"x3" tube. Rather than the plastic like pads with two mounting stubs that go near each end of the "T" on the fence, there is "Formica" strip glued full length to the top of the rail and also on the front of the rail where the cam do-hickey clamps. Formica also on the adjusting tabs behind the rail. No sign of there ever been pads on the "T" angle so it sets on and rubs the full 16" length on the Formica strip when moved. Think it is an early Biese. or some other make?? Am cleaning up the rail and will put normal style pads on it.

Matt Day
03-08-2016, 9:54 PM
Powermatic has their clone called the Accu-fence. Probably what you're talking about.

Joe Jensen
03-08-2016, 11:46 PM
I had an early Biesemeyer fence on a used Unisaw I purchased in 1984. Their small factory was in Mesa AZ near me. That fence had white formica glued where you say it is on yours. They were super nice BTW. I bought a new PM66 in 1990 that came with the standard width rails. I went over to Bies in Mesa and they traded my rails for a set of custom rails almost 10 ft long. I had the PM66, a PM26 Shaper, the narrow extension wings they ship with, and another 20" wide or so Powermatic extension table that I bought when a large wholesale dealer went out of business. I had like 9 ft of solid cast and I could rip 8 ft wide with the fence. I also have a Bies Radial Arm saw fence and table system with 10 ft to the right and 9 ft to the left of the blade.

glenn bradley
03-09-2016, 12:14 AM
+1, yes to Formica on early Bies fences.

Harold Weaver
03-09-2016, 9:20 PM
+2 on the early Biesemeyers using the Formica pads. I'm on my 5th Biesemeyer.....yes, I have an old machine habit. Sell off the excess machines and keep the Biesemeyers and sell them separate or hoard them. Now I'm down to only 2. One on my Unisaw and one just in case I need a "spare". Keep it, they take up very little room in the corner.