PDA

View Full Version : is Incra router plate good stuff?

Mark Burnette
03-08-2016, 6:10 PM
I need to upgrade my lexan plate to something more substantial for a bigger router. The Incra with the "magna lock" inserts looks to me like the best available without going the expense of a lift.
It's received good reviews so I'm baffled why nobody carries it. Online only--with stupidly high shipping.

Is there something wrong with this insert? Is Incra on hard times? Or is it that their distribution, marketing, or margins sucks?

John Aperahama
03-08-2016, 6:36 PM
Have one, got the table top at the same time. Very happy with it. Picked it up 'will call' direct from Incra.
Thinking about getting the extra magna lock plates.

Steve Peterson
03-08-2016, 7:17 PM
I added in a few extras when I ordered my lift and the total price came to around $360. They had a 10% discount for new customers. Shipping was $32 and there was no tax added. I was happy.

I bought my stuff from incrementaltools. They have a signup for promotional and sales info. Sign up and wait to see what shows up in your inbox within about a week.

I am not sure why their stuff is not easily available in stores. It could be that they are not allowed to compete against Woodpeckers. They are obviously working together. I like the Incra version of the PRL-V2 better because of the magnetic inserts.

Steve

Doug Ladendorf
03-08-2016, 7:56 PM
The Magna lock inserts with dust collection holes are great. I think Incra, Woodpeckers and Jessem all work together as North American manufacturers. They sell each other's stuff and I believe the Incra router lift is made by Jessem. They may have free shipping at times. Maybe Woodcraft could order it?
Doug

Mark Burnette
03-08-2016, 8:36 PM
Maybe Woodcraft could order it?

I stopped in after work to ask. They can special order it--but shipping will be same as if I ordered it myself so no savings.

I'll try signing up for specials. I'm not in any great hurry--I've been planning to mount this bigger router for over a year!

Bill McNiel
03-08-2016, 10:06 PM
The "Clean Sweep" inserts are the bomb!

Earl McLain
03-08-2016, 10:12 PM
I stopped in after work to ask. They can special order it--but shipping will be same as if I ordered it myself so no savings.

I'll try signing up for specials. I'm not in any great hurry--I've been planning to mount this bigger router for over a year!

Carbide Processors is a Friend of the Creek--and Tom is often a visitor here. Coupon code "creekers" should get you 10% off on your order, and generally free shipping at $149 purchase. Might be worth a call. (no personal interest, but i've had good dealings with them)

earl

Bill Sutherland
03-09-2016, 8:12 AM
Either Incremental Tools or Carbide Processors are great to deal with. If you live in their State they are supposed to charge sales tax if applicable.

Mike Hoyt
03-09-2016, 9:12 AM
I recently purchased the Masterlift 2 from Incra and I have to say that while their stuff is a bit spendy I was amazed at how heavy duty this thing is. I realize you are just looking for the plate but if its anything like the plate on the lift you wont be disappointed. The magnalock inserts are really nice and the customer service was fantastic. I did receive the 10% off for being a new customer which made it cheaper than I could by locally by a bunch.

Jack Lemley
03-09-2016, 9:15 AM
The Incra lift with magnetic inserts (the new ones designed to improve chip removal are great. I have had the lift for 8+ years and bought the modified inserts as soon as they came out. Great lift with outstanding dust collection.

Jack

Earl Rumans
03-10-2016, 4:15 AM
I have the Incra Mast-R-Lift II, the clean sweep inserts and their clean sweep system. They are fantastic and you really can't go wrong with any Incra products.

Mark Burnette
03-10-2016, 12:07 PM
I hadn't planned to get the skeletonized inserts--but that might be because I don't understand them. Won't they allow chips to blow right up into my face?

Chris Merriam
03-10-2016, 2:02 PM
They're for dust collection, and they do work very nicely.

The only annoying thing about the magnetic inserts is when I go to change the bit, the magnets always grab my wrench. I angle the wrench off the table a bit to keep it from happening.

Chris Padilla
03-10-2016, 3:17 PM
I love Incra's products. I have many of their items adorning my shop.

The magnetic inserts with the extra slits in them are quite interesting as I have the original ones.

I hadn't planned to get the skeletonized inserts--but that might be because I don't understand them. Won't they allow chips to blow right up into my face?

Mark, assuming you have a vacuum under the router plate (like here (http://www.incrementaltools.com/category_s/335.htm)), it serves as extra area to suck in chips so the exact opposite will happen.

Chris Padilla
03-10-2016, 3:18 PM
The only annoying thing about the magnetic inserts is when I go to change the bit, the magnets always grab my wrench. I angle the wrench off the table a bit to keep it from happening.

Time to make a wrench out of wood, eh?! LOL

Chris Merriam
03-10-2016, 3:38 PM

Ahh, that could be the next Woodpecker's One Time Tool!!!

Mark Burnette
03-10-2016, 3:49 PM
Mark, assuming you have a vacuum under the router plate (), it serves as extra area to suck in chips so the exact opposite will happen.
No. Safer to assume I have a vacuum above the plate, like everyone USED to do it, but rarely use it since I mostly do edge work on the table and chips come off sideways at such velocity the overhead/behind hood doesn't catch much.

Alan Schaffter
03-10-2016, 11:13 PM
I love Incra's products. I have many of their items adorning my shop.

I love INCRA products, too. Especially the I-BOX! :D

Clint Baxter
03-11-2016, 5:48 AM

You don't need a wooden one. Just need to get one made from titanium�� No worries bout the magnet grabbing it.

Clint

glenn bradley
03-11-2016, 8:24 AM
No. Safer to assume I have a vacuum above the plate, like everyone USED to do it, but rarely use it since I mostly do edge work on the table and chips come off sideways at such velocity the overhead/behind hood doesn't catch much.

It sounds like you are edge routing without a fence, yes? With a fence port the cut is basically surrounded on edge profile cuts and very little spoil escapes. Adequate dust collection under the plate and adequate clearance around the bit handle the bulk of the collection work.

I have the original Woodpecker PRL and so have no slotted throat plates for captured cuts ;-( I use an insert that is as close to the bit size as possible but, still allows enough airflow past the bit for chip collection.

Mark Burnette
03-11-2016, 10:05 AM
I'll have to consider sucking dust down through the plate. I've been using my Woodsmith-plan cabinet for 20 years and it looks like it'd be a simple thing to seal the airflow slots and convert one to a vac port.

I always considered a router table to be patterned after a shaper. Have shapers also gone over to this downdraft approach?

Chris Padilla
03-11-2016, 12:35 PM
I love INCRA products, too. Especially the I-BOX! :D

Alan, I picked one up many moons ago but finally got around to using it a couple weekend ago. Pretty cool and easy to use once I got the hang of it. Nice job on the design and I look forward to using it some more!