PDA

View Full Version : Router Table Top - Buy or Make?

Steve Mathews
03-08-2016, 2:13 PM
Because I already have an Incra Twin Linear fence I plan to buy or make an offset table top, probably 27" x 43". I figure materials will cost a little over half of what an Incra table will cost delivered assuming no mistakes are made. Being new to woodworking, would purchasing the top be more reasonable than attempting to make one? I still plan to make the base regardless.

Tony Leonard
03-08-2016, 2:51 PM
Well, I guess it depends. There are several good techniques to learn in building a router table. But, if you'd rather be building furniture (or whatever), then by all means buy one. I bought my first table because I wanted to build other stuff and my time was very limited. Still using it after 20 years or so (Woodhaven). Another consideration is fundage....half a router table is a lot of dough for other items if your funds are limited.

Tony

Prashun Patel
03-08-2016, 3:04 PM
Here we go. You're going to get a lot of passionate opinions about this. Here's mine:

WAIT.

Make your own cheap table top and fence. Use it for a while before deciding to buy or build. This will inform how you can proceed. I would wait until the answer becomes obvious to you.

For my part, I chose to buy the Incra LS system and table and lift. It has a precision and micro adjustability that suit my style of working well. I like to sneak on joint and door fitting, and this allows that easily. As you know from your Linear fence, Incra tools tend to require a lot of screws to be adjusted, so they can be fiddly and annoying to some. Also (and this is something I've never heard anyone mention) the LS fence clamp can pinch your skin if you're not careful. I've been nipped many a time when working too fast.

John TenEyck
03-08-2016, 3:27 PM
I somehow have managed to turn out pretty fair work with a home built router table, now actually an extension on my TS. No lift, no micro-adjust fence, not even a commercial router plate, just a piece of 1/4" aluminum I mounted my router to. I decided to spend my money on tools I couldn't make. I have friends with commercial setups and every accessory imaginable. They do good work - but no better than mine.

John

glenn bradley
03-08-2016, 4:20 PM
I like Prashun's answer. I did this when I was trying to decide on a DP table and on a workbench; I went shop made but, without a lot of fancy work. Once I had used the "test" versions for awhile I was in a much, much better position to determine what I really needed. This method really saved me some cash by giving me some real hands on experience that led to a very different choices than I would have made without that experience.

Jim Becker
03-08-2016, 8:08 PM
"Yes". Buy or make. :D

There are advantages of both and material matters, too. Mine is purchased. It's case iron which is not something I could fabricate. ;) My previous router table tops were shop made from two layers of 3/4" MDF and surfaced with plastic laminate.

Steve Mathews
03-08-2016, 9:07 PM
I may end up making the top because of the following...

The Incra Twin Linear Owner's Manual calls for the front edge of the pattern to be 22" from the center of the router hole. That would leave about 3" of unused travel at the base and would seem to limit the maximum usable range of the fence. In other words the maximum range of travel would be about 19". If the base was extended another 3" that would place the base beyond the edge of a 43" long table, which is the recommended table length. To add more confusion, the box that the fence system came in states that it is a 21" Range System. Anyone else experience this confusion with the Twin Linear?

Patrick Curry
03-08-2016, 10:18 PM
"Yes". Buy or make. :D

There are advantages of both and material matters, too. Mine is purchased. It's case iron which is not something I could fabricate. ;) My previous router table tops were shop made from two layers of 3/4" MDF and surfaced with plastic laminate.

Hey Jim, I'm going to try the same MDF setup you described. Did you apply the plastic laminate on top of that white coated MDF board or just the unfinished stuff. I'm assuming the white but then again, adhering the top might be more difficult (glue). Also, is this plastic laminate Home Depot stuff?

I'd like the iron top but...I could also use a larger router, still need a fence, and then there are all the bits I'd still like to own one day.

Patrick Curry
03-08-2016, 10:24 PM
Here we go. You're going to get a lot of passionate opinions about this. Here's mine:

WAIT.

Make your own cheap table top and fence. Use it for a while before deciding to buy or build. This will inform how you can proceed. I would wait until the answer becomes obvious to you.

For my part, I chose to buy the Incra LS system and table and lift. It has a precision and micro adjustability that suit my style of working well. I like to sneak on joint and door fitting, and this allows that easily. As you know from your Linear fence, Incra tools tend to require a lot of screws to be adjusted, so they can be fiddly and annoying to some. Also (and this is something I've never heard anyone mention) the LS fence clamp can pinch your skin if you're not careful. I've been nipped many a time when working too fast.

This has worked well for me, and with tools too. Gives me a greater appreciation for the better design.

A lot of people say 'buy it right the first time', and that's hard to dispute but I've enjoyed the experience of contrast

Don Morris
03-09-2016, 2:41 AM
I made two router table tops out of double MDF. I was pretty satisfied, but after years went by, it did sag a little. I have the PC beast, the 7518, pulling it down. Then I got a pocket screw system and the tutorial for making a router table cabinet using that system. The guy started out by saying that it just didn't pay to make your own top, because of the availability of good, cheap tops, but you could design your own table under the top with drawers, etc. Also, I wanted a good metal drop in top (Bench Dog) for the 7518. So, I got a thick phenolic top with a precut hole that would let me exactly fit that system to support my 7518. I built the pocket hole table under it and have been happy for years now.

Jim Becker
03-09-2016, 8:58 AM
Hey Jim, I'm going to try the same MDF setup you described. Did you apply the plastic laminate on top of that white coated MDF board or just the unfinished stuff. I'm assuming the white but then again, adhering the top might be more difficult (glue). Also, is this plastic laminate Home Depot stuff?

I'd like the iron top but...I could also use a larger router, still need a fence, and then there are all the bits I'd still like to own one day.
Plain MDF. The material you are describing is Melamine coated sheet and you can use it without adding laminate, although it's not quite as durable.