PDA

View Full Version : Re-wiring grizzly g1022

Randall Coggin
03-07-2016, 6:52 PM
I just bought an older grizzly g1022 table saw but it is currently wired for 220 and I need to re-wire it for 110. Anybody know how I do that? I am not electrically inclined at all

daryl moses
03-07-2016, 6:54 PM
It should have a wiring diagram on the motor.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-07-2016, 7:22 PM
Go to the Grizzly website and find the manual for your exact model saw. Here's a link to one model of G1022 http://cdn1.grizzly.com/manuals/g1022_m.pdf pages 43 and 44 show how to wire the saw for several versions.

It's important to get the right manual for the proper wiring.

Randall Coggin
03-07-2016, 8:48 PM
Thanks. That helps

Ken Fitzgerald
03-07-2016, 9:43 PM
Randall,

I don't know that is the correct manual. Get the exact Model number off the manufacturer's plate on your saw, go to the Grizzly website and download the absolute correct manual. Then determine if there are wiring instructions for it.

scott spencer
03-08-2016, 6:36 AM
The wiring schematic is usually on the inside of the wiring junction box on the motor.

Michael Dye
03-08-2016, 7:55 AM
If not on the jbox cover, you'll find the wiring diagram on the data plate. Get a magnifier as the diagram can sometimes be hard to see. FYI..... you will use more electricity and not have as much grunt in the 110 configuration as you would in the 220 mode. You might want to find a good source of 220 juice. Good luck

Myk Rian
03-08-2016, 8:15 AM
I just bought an older grizzly g1022 table saw but it is currently wired for 220 and I need to re-wire it for 110. Anybody know how I do that? I am not electrically inclined at all
Find someone that knows electricity and wiring. Really.

Jim Tabor
03-08-2016, 10:08 AM
I don't understand how a dual voltage motor will use more electricity when wired for 110 volts than wired for 220. A 2HP, 16A, 110 volt motor would use 1760 watts of power (that's what the electric company charges for) and the same motor is 8A at 220 volt, also 1760 watts. An I missing something? thanks, Jim

Ken Fitzgerald
03-08-2016, 10:31 AM
Jim, generally you are correct that the power consumed is the same whether a dual voltage motor is wired for 120vac or 240vac. However, though I have never seen one, I've read that there are motors that when wired differently do consume different amounts of power when wired for 120 and 240.

David L Morse
03-08-2016, 10:48 AM
A dual voltage single phase motor has two run windings. There are both designed to operate from 120V. For 120V operation they are wired in parallel so each winding gets 120V. For 240V operation they are wired in series so each winding gets 120V. Motor windings are not very smart, they only know how much voltage they're getting, not how it got there.

Of course if you're using a seriously undersized extension cord then the greater current will cause more voltage drop in 120V operation. So, sure, if you're powering your saw through a hundred feet of 18 gauge lamp cord then 240V will outperform 120V operation.

Chris Padilla
03-08-2016, 7:45 PM
FYI..... you will use more electricity and not have as much grunt in the 110 configuration as you would in the 220 mode. You might want to find a good source of 220 juice. Good luck

Common misconception...as David clearly explained.

Myk Rian
03-08-2016, 8:57 PM
Read this:
http://what-when-how.com/electric-motors/single-phase-induction-motors-electric-motor/

Earl McLain
03-08-2016, 10:19 PM
Jim, generally you are correct that the power consumed is the same whether a dual voltage motor is wired for 120vac or 240vac. However, though I have never seen one, I've read that there are motors that when wired differently do consume different amounts of power when wired for 120 and 240.

I've not seen one in person either Ken, but have seen pictures of motor plates where the high voltage draw was more than half the amps of the low voltage. For example, the 110/120v was perhaps 14, but the 220/240v was 8 or 8.5. Thinking it must have been old table saws since that is what i lust after most, but it's been a while.

earl

Mike Ontko
03-08-2016, 11:40 PM
Randall, I've got a G1022ZFX with a 2hp motor. Mine is currently configured for 110V but I plan to switch it to 220V at some point. The wiring diagrams below (for SM and Z model motors) come from the G1022 manual, which you can--and should--download from the Grizzly.com site. You didn't mention what specific model saw you have (SM, Z, ProZ, ZF, etc.) or whether the motor is the original Grizzly motor or some other brand, and what it's hp rating is. So it's hard for anyone to provide completely accurate info for you. But checking for a diagram on the inside of the junction box (props to Scott Spencer) is probably a good start. Just be sure you unplug the thing first ;)

Cary Falk
03-09-2016, 2:28 AM
Jim, generally you are correct that the power consumed is the same whether a dual voltage motor is wired for 120vac or 240vac. However, though I have never seen one, I've read that there are motors that when wired differently do consume different amounts of power when wired for 120 and 240. I have seen discussions on a specific Delta motor that was 1.5hp on 110V and 2hp on 220V. I don't recall the details on how that was achieved.

Myk Rian
03-09-2016, 10:18 AM
I have seen discussions on a specific Delta motor that was 1.5hp on 110V and 2hp on 220V. I don't recall the details on how that was achieved.
Not possible.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-09-2016, 12:04 PM
Myk,

I saw those same discussions to which Cary refers. According to the thread that specific motor had different windings that didn't function like most motors as in 3 sets of windings of which only two were used at once. IIRC.

David L Morse
03-09-2016, 1:05 PM
I've not seen one in person either Ken, but have seen pictures of motor plates where the high voltage draw was more than half the amps of the low voltage. For example, the 110/120v was perhaps 14, but the 220/240v was 8 or 8.5. Thinking it must have been old table saws since that is what i lust after most, but it's been a while.

I have seen discussions on a specific Delta motor that was 1.5hp on 110V and 2hp on 220V. I don't recall the details on how that was achieved.

It's just marketing. A 20A plug on a 120V consumer item is a product killer. A 2HP motor needs to be derated to 1.5HP to operate on a 15A circuit. Nothing changes inside the motor, it just a change on the nameplate.

As has been said here many times before, the horsepower drawn from a motor is entirely dependent upon the operator. Tool, workpiece and feed rate determine the torque taken from the motor. That torque causes a corresponding amount of current to be drawn from the electrical supply. The nameplate horsepower rating tells you how much torque you can take before something goes out of spec. That can be temperature or current or both.

Again, you control the power that the motor consumes (or more accurately, the power that the motor converts so that you can consume it). The nameplate tells you the maximum you SHOULD consume. You can always take more if you're willing to accept the consequences.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-09-2016, 2:09 PM
David,

Care to explain this? https://www.centuryelectricmotor.com/Motor-Doctor-Article.aspx?LangType=1033&id=766

In the vast number of cases, there is no gain in horsepower by using either 240 over 120 vac. You will get no argument from me. I would use which ever was advantageous to me personally.

David L Morse
03-09-2016, 3:02 PM
David,

Care to explain this? https://www.centuryelectricmotor.com/Motor-Doctor-Article.aspx?LangType=1033&id=766

In the vast number of cases, there is no gain in horsepower by using either 240 over 120 vac. You will get no argument from me. I would use which ever was advantageous to me personally.

That type of motor is designed for voltage speed control. It's what you might have in a ceiling van or adjustable speed HVAC blower. As the article says it operates with very high slip. The type of motor used on a table saw would burn up under these conditions but the variable speed motor is made with high resistance (smaller wire) windings. These limit the current to safe levels.

When input voltage is reduced the Volts/turn applied to the Iron is also reduced thus reducing the magnetic flux density. The torque produced by the motor is proportional to current times flux so to maintain torque current must increase. To increase current slip has to increase and so speed is reduced.

You can also change speed by keeping voltage constant and changing the number of turns with taps or extra windings. This changes the Volts/turn and thus, as above, the speed.

The speed change then is accomplished by decreasing the torque available at any given speed and so of course the horsepower changes. If you put an external speed control on your router it will produce much less horsepower at reduced speeds than at full speed.

The motor used by a table saw (or most other stationary tools) is designed for very good speed regulation and efficiency. Either voltage configuration of the windings results in the same Volts/turn applied to the Iron and so from the mechanical side there is no measurement you can make that will tell you which way it's wired.