PDA

View Full Version : SATA to USB cable question

Raymond Fries
03-07-2016, 2:05 PM
I need to get one of these to get some data from a hard drive from a desktop computer. Thedrive hasthe SATA connections. I am unsure which one to buy. Will this one work? If not,pleae recommend one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J01I1G?keywords=sata%20to%20usb%20cable&qid=1457376934&ref_=sr_1_14&sr=8-14

The drive has a long and short connector and every one of the cables I find only has a socket for the short connector. I am assuming. only the short one is necessary.

Please advise.

Thanks

Raymond Seward
03-07-2016, 2:12 PM
That should work for you Ray
Best
Ray

Brian Elfert
03-07-2016, 4:16 PM
I would get something like this instead: http://www.amazon.com/iDsonix-U3102-Drive-Docking-Station/dp/B00FDLCTQO

This is slightly more money, but you're not just running the drive laying on a desk or something. These are sold under many brand names, but I bet most are made in the same Chinese factory.

Myk Rian
03-07-2016, 5:33 PM
Don't bother with the doodad you'll only use once. Get the cable.

Or; Plug it into a SATA connector in the computer to do it.

Jerome Stanek
03-07-2016, 6:28 PM
Don't bother with the doodad you'll only use once. Get the cable.

Or; Plug it into a SATA connector in the computer to do it.

I use one like that to connect to my hard drive

David L Morse
03-07-2016, 6:44 PM
The narrow connector on your drive is for data. The wide connector provides power to the drive. You need both.

The adapter you linked to will work.
From left to right are the power cord followed by the power supply. The power supply has a cable with a Molex connector that provides power to older IDE drives. Next is the USB data adapter. It includes a connector for plugging directly into an IDE drive as well as a connector for a SATA cable. The fourth item is a power supply adapter that converts the Molex power connector to what the SATA drive requires. Last is the SATA cable that connects from the USB data adapter to your SATA hard drive. You will need all of these.

I have one of these. It's a bit of a kludge. Brian's link is cleaner.

Important note: The cable on the power supply includes a switch for the 12V supply to the hard drive. Make sure this is on. It's easy to miss. DAMHIK

Tom M King
03-07-2016, 7:54 PM
I have found this set very handy to have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

Curt Harms
03-08-2016, 8:59 AM
+1 on the power supply. I bought one of those cables that didn't come with a power supply and had to make my own that plugged into a PC power supply. A dock setup is interesting for moving data and also as a backup device. 2.5" hard drives can be powered by a USB port (or 2). 3.5" drives cannot, they require 12 volts and USB only supplies 5 volts.

Raymond Fries
03-08-2016, 2:27 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone. Glad I asked because I did not knowabout thepower supply requirement. I think for 5 bucks more that Brian's suggestion looks pretty appealing. And then this is really a one time thing (at least I think so).