PDA

View Full Version : Two new friends

Brent Cutshall
03-07-2016, 11:00 AM
Well, I came across two nice planes recently in a flea market and I'm glad I didn't keep walking. I'm not sure but I think the jack is a Wards Master no.7 and I don't know what the rabbet plane is. After hours of sanding rust, filing nicks, replacing screws, and sharpening the iron, I can take the jack and make paper with it. I will probably re-stain the totes. Now I've got to start on the rabbet plane, luckily it doesn't need much work. It is "rabbet plane" isn't it?

Jim Koepke
03-07-2016, 11:35 AM
There is barely any of the lateral adjuster visible, but it looks like your Wards Master may be made by Stanley.

jtk

Brent Cutshall
03-07-2016, 12:47 PM
Oh, sorry Jim, here you go.

Chris Hachet
03-07-2016, 12:48 PM
There is barely any of the lateral adjuster visible, but it looks like your Wards Master may be made by Stanley.

jtk

I would concur...I have a non Stanley #5 and the Tote is further back in the sole. Looks Stanley to me also.

Brent Cutshall
03-07-2016, 1:01 PM
Y'all think maybe someone put a Wards Master cap on it? Forgive me if I sound like a greenhorn, my foot's just started in the door of the world of planes but boy am I warming up to planes. Yeah, the lateral adjuster looks like it's Stanley made.

Jim Koepke
03-07-2016, 1:55 PM
I may have been wrong. That looks more like the folded end used by Sargent.

Would actually need to see more, but it looks more like a Sargent made plane. Not sure if Sargent used the rib at the heel and toe of the body.

Here is a site with some information on Sargent planes:

http://www.horizontalheavens.com/418vs418VBM%20Comparison.htm

jtk

Jim Koepke
03-07-2016, 1:56 PM
Y'all think maybe someone put a Wards Master cap on it? Forgive me if I sound like a greenhorn, my foot's just started in the door of the world of planes but boy am I warming up to planes. Yeah, the lateral adjuster looks like it's Stanley made.

All of the major plane makers also made planes for retail outlets with private brands.

jtk