PDA

View Full Version : Coreldraw X3 and Windows 10

tony mazzone
03-07-2016, 9:04 AM
Hi,

I just bought a new laptop that has windows 10 on it. I tried to loan Coreldraw X3 and am getting an error message. I tried doing an online search and it looks like windows 10 doesn't work well with this version of Coreldraw. Does anyone have any suggestions? I only do laser engraving part time and didn't want to spend the money to upgrade to the new version.

Thanks,
Tony

Keith Winter
03-07-2016, 9:56 AM
Downgrade to windows 7 if available, some higher end pcs/latops (business computers) have this option since many businesses do not want to upgrade because it breaks software just as you are experiencing. Other than that you might have to upgrade your corel unfortunately.

Hi,

I just bought a new laptop that has windows 10 on it. I tried to loan Coreldraw X3 and am getting an error message. I tried doing an online search and it looks like windows 10 doesn't work well with this version of Coreldraw. Does anyone have any suggestions? I only do laser engraving part time and didn't want to spend the money to upgrade to the new version.

Thanks,
Tony

Lee DeRaud
03-07-2016, 12:16 PM
The good news is, even if you have to pay for it, you can get an OEM copy of Win7 for about half what the Corel upgrade costs. (I'm assuming Corel will even allow you to upgrade a version that old.)
The bad news is, you may run into a Catch-22 installing Win7. One laptop I tried that trick on, the default network and USB drivers didn't work, which made it impossible to install the vendor-specific drivers the laptop needed to run properly. It would boot in safe mode, with reduced screen resolution and no contact with the outside world, but otherwise it was a brick.

Bill George
03-07-2016, 12:55 PM
It always amazes me the number of people who want to jump on the Windows 10 bandwagon. So its a "free" upgrade? Look at the amount of problems posted on here and online with Win 10 and USB, Win 10 and older software. Now there will be a bunch of people pipe up and say it works fine for me. But for everyone that posts there will be 10 who won't.

My wife works in software support for some specialized software, their programmers won't even consider making changes until MS gets all the bugs worked out and a stable platform for Windows 10. The Beta testers are the early adapters!!

Michael Hunter
03-08-2016, 5:29 AM
Worth checking on the Corel site to get all the updates/patches for X3.
(I seem to remember that there were at least two major ones and that these were necessary for stable operation with Windows 7).

I've upgraded my lasering PC to Windows 10 and X3 continues to work fine.

Jerome Stanek
03-08-2016, 7:45 AM
It always amazes me the number of people who want to jump on the Windows 10 bandwagon. So its a "free" upgrade? Look at the amount of problems posted on here and online with Win 10 and USB, Win 10 and older software. Now there will be a bunch of people pipe up and say it works fine for me. But for everyone that posts there will be 10 who won't.

My wife works in software support for some specialized software, their programmers won't even consider making changes until MS gets all the bugs worked out and a stable platform for Windows 10. The Beta testers are the early adapters!!

I don't think he upgraded as he said it is new and came with Windows 10
w

Ross Moshinsky
03-08-2016, 9:08 AM

Windows 10 works fine. I find it more ridiculous that people are afraid of Windows 10.

Lee DeRaud
03-08-2016, 9:35 AM
Worth checking on the Corel site to get all the updates/patches for X3.
(I seem to remember that there were at least two major ones and that these were necessary for stable operation with Windows 7).

I've upgraded my lasering PC to Windows 10 and X3 continues to work fine.Sounds like you did an in-place upgrade to Win10. I think his problem is a bit trickier, in that you can't update/patch what you can't install. Even if X3 runs fine under Win10, if the install program balks, you're kind of painted into a corner.

Lee DeRaud
03-08-2016, 9:37 AM
Windows 10 works fine. I find it more ridiculous that people are afraid of Windows 10."Afraid of" and "dislike" are vastly different things.

Ross Moshinsky
03-08-2016, 11:24 AM
"Afraid of" and "dislike" are vastly different things.

Have you ever bothered using a Win10 machine running Classic Shell? People don't even know I'm running Win10 or Win8 on two of my machines because they essentially function like Windows 7 machines.

Jerome Stanek
03-08-2016, 11:29 AM
Sounds like you did an in-place upgrade to Win10. I think his problem is a bit trickier, in that you can't update/patch what you can't install. Even if X3 runs fine under Win10, if the install program balks, you're kind of painted into a corner.

That's the problem I have I am lucky enough to have a windows 7 computer that I can run X3 on. Will not let me install on my new computer that came with Windows 10

Lee DeRaud
03-08-2016, 12:41 PM
Have you ever bothered using a Win10 machine running Classic Shell? People don't even know I'm running Win10 or Win8 on two of my machines because they essentially function like Windows 7 machines.For some arbitrary value of "essentially".

Wasted the better part of a week on that exercise, and I assure you it's not the same thing. Win10 may be able to emulate some default configuration of Win7 well enough to satisfy some people, but I'm not one of them.

Bill George
03-08-2016, 1:03 PM
Well if you took the trouble to "upgrade" to Windows 10, why would you need a shell? PS I have been working with computers since the TRS-80 Model One, been there and done that. Afraid or just smarter?

Kev Williams
03-08-2016, 2:23 PM
98se and XP for me. 7 isn't bad but it still won't even run my HP laserjet or older Quickbooks. It will at least run my machines.

However, this 8.1 I'm using is a total joke. Not because of the 'interface', but because it if it doesn't connect with a USB it's useless, and more importantly, because it takes WAY more time for this computer to do ANYTHING that any of my XP's will do. This computer takes a full 8 seconds to access a folder on another networked computer that all of my XP's do instantly. I can't use Corelx4 with this computer. The simple act of zooming in with the mouse wheel in Corel is completely frustrating: roll the mouse, then wait 3 seconds to see what it did... unbelievable. And Classic Shell will fix none of this BS.

And giving MS unfettered access to my computer via Win10 doesn't work for me. MS want's nothing to do with my XP's, and I like it that way.

My XP's will do ANYTHING I need it them do, 8.1 does almost nothing I need it to do (not even POP email without an act of God), and it can't even keep up with my 500mhz HP running 98se. I expect no better from 10.

I'm not afraid of win10. I simply have absolute zero use for it.

Ross Moshinsky
03-08-2016, 2:46 PM
For some arbitrary value of "essentially".

Wasted the better part of a week on that exercise, and I assure you it's not the same thing. Win10 may be able to emulate some default configuration of Win7 well enough to satisfy some people, but I'm not one of them.

So I'll take that as a no. Pretty much what I expected.

Well if you took the trouble to "upgrade" to Windows 10, why would you need a shell? PS I have been working with computers since the TRS-80 Model One, been there and done that. Afraid or just smarter?

Because I like the interface on Windows 7 but find Windows 10 running the show not to be problematic for me at all? Windows 10 works fine. People complaining about Windows 10 tracking your information use Google and smart phones which do exactly the same thing. I use Windows 10 and it does minimal tracking the way I have it setup and there is no functionality issues.

98se and XP for me. 7 isn't bad but it still won't even run my HP laserjet or older Quickbooks. It will at least run my machines.

However, this 8.1 I'm using is a total joke. Not because of the 'interface', but because it if it doesn't connect with a USB it's useless, and more importantly, because it takes WAY more time for this computer to do ANYTHING that any of my XP's will do. This computer takes a full 8 seconds to access a folder on another networked computer that all of my XP's do instantly. I can't use Corelx4 with this computer. The simple act of zooming in with the mouse wheel in Corel is completely frustrating: roll the mouse, then wait 3 seconds to see what it did... unbelievable. And Classic Shell will fix none of this BS.

And giving MS unfettered access to my computer via Win10 doesn't work for me. MS want's nothing to do with my XP's, and I like it that way.

My XP's will do ANYTHING I need it them do, 8.1 does almost nothing I need it to do (not even POP email without an act of God), and it can't even keep up with my 500mhz HP running 98se. I expect no better from 10.

I'm not afraid of win10. I simply have absolute zero use for it.

You either have a faulty machine, a poorly spec'd out machine, or you're doing something wrong. Also you can't fault a machine for not using analog communication anymore. That's just the evolution of technology. Digital is superior and that's why analog has been phased out.

Lee DeRaud
03-08-2016, 3:19 PM
So I'll take that as a no. Pretty much what I expected.Take it however you want to, but that's not what I said. If you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question.

Lee DeRaud
03-08-2016, 3:31 PM
Because I like the interface on Windows 7 but find Windows 10 running the show not to be problematic for me at all? Windows 10 works fine. People complaining about Windows 10 tracking your information use Google and smart phones which do exactly the same thing. I use Windows 10 and it does minimal tracking the way I have it setup and there is no functionality issues.

You either have a faulty machine, a poorly spec'd out machine, or you're doing something wrong.So what you're basically saying is, if anyone doesn't have the same transcendent Win10 experience as you, it's their own fault? Good god, even Bill Gates isn't that arrogant.

Also you can't fault a machine for not using analog communication anymore. That's just the evolution of technology. Digital is superior and that's why analog has been phased out.Exactly what form of "analog communication" are you talking about? Did you just pull that comment out of the air?

tony mazzone
03-11-2016, 9:38 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. I checked with coreldraw support and they don't even deal with x3 anymore. They just wanted to sell me an upgrade to corel draw x7.
I upgraded to Windows 10 on my wife's laptop yesterday as an experiment. It was running Windows 8.1and had coreldraw x3 loaded on it already and it works fine with the new Windows 10. I need to figure out how to get it to load on my new computer unfortunately.