PDA

View Full Version : How to clean Funnel top Pressure pot for smaller media?

Travis Centers
03-06-2016, 2:21 PM
Got a pressure pot from a guy that was using a mixed sand to blast with I ran the sand out shook the pot and ran a bunch of air through. I thought that I got the pot emptied, but nope.. out of no where the sand came through stopped up my nozzle. I started running air through again like last time and tons of sand still coming out.

The sand had to be stuck some where because I went through nothing but 180 Silicon carbide for a few minutes. So this sand is holding me back is there a way to clean a funnel top 40lb pressure pot other then running air through?

Yes, I should have gotten a different pot, but I got it for $20 used.

Thanks guys.

Travis Centers
03-06-2016, 4:05 PM
Was blowing it out with a pressure hose. It seems like the sand he was using is stuck on the inside walls.

I am guessing it is time to just buy a new one. I don't know how I would get it all out of this one without vacuuming and spraying day on end.

Then if I didn't get it all out I would just be getting more clogs

Mike Null
03-06-2016, 5:34 PM
I'm guessing that there is moisture in the tank that is causing the sand to clump. You might try a heat gun then try blowing it out with air.

Did you also remove the hardware at the bottom and try to clear it from there?

Travis Centers
03-06-2016, 8:24 PM
Yeah I will try that later. I said heck with it and got a new one. I found out that a pressure pot is a thing you have to learn. Like keeping an old car running. Might as well start fresh.

I have done two pieces today for testing. They came out really well.

John Bion
03-07-2016, 5:32 AM
HI Travis, as Mike says, there will be clumping on the sides due to moisture, in fact the inside of cheaper pots tend to rust too, which aggravates the situation and hinders flow of the media. I too use a heat gun around the pot when I have moisture problems and have even reforested to a rubber mallet. The key is to ensure you have good moisture traps in your air line (or a dry air compressor). When you first start your compressor, open the inlet valve slowly, thereby minimising the amount of condensation.
It just takes some PT to get the clumped media out :(
Kind Regards, John