PDA

View Full Version : Louvers in a hot air register.

fRED mCnEILL
03-06-2016, 12:53 PM
I am building hot air registers for the floor and have made some using a router to cut the slots. However I have seen some where the slots/louvers are cut at an angle. Is this possible with a regular hand held router or one in a table. If you know of any plans or utube videos that would be a bonus.

Thanks

Fred

Shawn Pixley
03-06-2016, 1:07 PM
Easy. Glue it with paper to a wedge angled at angle desired for louvers. Rout on table through wedge and louver material. Break wedge away from louver. Plane surface smooth. Work slowly to avoid breaking bit.

fRED mCnEILL
03-06-2016, 8:55 PM
Thanks Shawn. But I am having trouble envisioning how you describe it.Can you elaborate or is there a sketch somewhere.

Thanks

Fred

Cary Falk
03-06-2016, 10:05 PM
I made a 4" round one for a friend using a glue up. I think it would be much easier. Cut the strips at the desired angle then glue spacers on each side between the strips. The ones in my house are similarly built.

Clint Baxter
03-07-2016, 6:02 AM
I purchased my Bosch Colt in a kit with a tilt base. You'll would beable to roule angled slots with one. I'd probably set it up with a jig to ensure my slots were evenly sized and spaced.

Clint

Cary Falk
03-07-2016, 7:35 AM
I can't see doing it without a plunge base.