PDA

View Full Version : Handheld Power Planer Recommendations?

Donald Alles
03-06-2016, 12:51 PM
I am about to purchase a handheld power planer to work the top of a 4" thick live edge stump slab (soon to be a coffee table). The sticker simply said "Hard Maple". It is.
Does anyone have brand recommendations for me? I've seen the price ranges and would like to spend $100 or less. Any thoughtful advice is appreciated!

John Lankers
03-06-2016, 1:07 PM
I have a Bosch that I used maybe once in 10 years. I'm not aware of any handheld power planer suitable for anything but rough carpentry work. Unless you are going for a very rustic look I would not use one.

Joe O'Connor
03-06-2016, 1:14 PM
I have a makita that I've been happy with. I don't use it often.

Tom M King
03-06-2016, 2:27 PM
I have a couple of Makita's. One I keep for rough work, and the other I keep good blades in. They're probably twenty years old or older. I don't use them that much, but they come in good sometimes. I'm not sure how well even the one with sharp blades would do on end grain.

Chris Fournier
03-06-2016, 3:10 PM
I use a DeWalt and have used it for tonnes of slab work including end grain hard maple - no fun. It's always been ready to work though. The finest cut possible with a sharp set of blades on the end grain and you might really want to consider a router sled and ball mill as an alternative.

Bill Ryall
03-07-2016, 9:02 PM
Bosch or Makita. I have both, used both extensively and have been very happy with both. I've used both in applications like you just described. However, you may want to consider a router and straight bit in a flattening jig for this operation. it will take longer, but you will likely get a better result.