PDA

View Full Version : Laguna 14 Twelve Segmented Belt

Tom Ellison 8
03-06-2016, 10:35 AM
Has anyone run a segmented belt on a Laguna 1412 band saw? If so, what size? The current belt measures about 9/16" wide. I have heard of some people using segmented belts on 1412s and have also heard that you cannot use a segmented belt on a 1412. I am trying to avoid having to remove the lower wheel to replace a damaged drive belt. It also seems like an opportunity to upgrade the belt. Any information would be very much appreciated.

Raymond Seward
03-06-2016, 1:00 PM
I have not done it but would be interested in the results if you do.

Curt Harms
03-07-2016, 7:25 AM
Why do you want to switch the belt out? If you're trying to reduce the 'set', some people recommend notched or cogged V belts over link belts. They are supposed to not take a set, like the link belts. The label will show something like Ax, Bx and they'll look like this:

http://www.vbelts4less.com/Classic-Cogged-AXBXCX-V-Belts_c_8.html

I have a couple machines with link belts and if I were doing it again I'd probably put cogged belts on instead. They're generally less expensive to boot.

Bruce Page
03-07-2016, 1:18 PM
Maybe I'm missing something.:confused: The Laguna 14/12 owners manual shows a ribbed drive belt. You would have to change out the pulleys to use a segmented belt.

Raymond Seward
03-07-2016, 2:16 PM
Maybe I'm missing something.:confused: The Laguna 14/12 owners manual shows a ribbed drive belt. You would have to change out the pulleys to use a segmented belt.

I looked at mine....yes, you would have to change pulleys. In retrospect not worth the effort and I'm surprised at myself for not realizing that in the first place.

Tom Ellison 8
03-07-2016, 6:59 PM
Thank you all for the replies. I needed to change the belt because the current one is damaged (came with saw that way). I was wishfully thinking that if I used a segmented belt I wouldn't have to remove the lower wheel. I just got the saw and am not thrilled about taking it apart to replace the belt before I get a chance to put it through its paces. I just spoke with Laguna and they are sending a replacement.

Thank you again for the replies each time I post I am reminded how nice these forums are for beginner woodworkers.

Bruce Page
03-07-2016, 8:49 PM
Tom, if the lower wheel doesn't come off easily, use a gear puller to pull it off. Don't use a hammer.

Erik Loza
03-07-2016, 9:12 PM
Tom, if the lower wheel doesn't come off easily, use a gear puller to pull it off. Don't use a hammer.

+1^^^

Pulling the lower wheel of a bandsaw is not that big of a deal if you are mechanically inclined. I've had to do it more than once at trade shows. You read/hear that there is some voodoo to getting the lower wheel cambered correctly but not in my experience. Think of it like changing a flat tire: One of those things that we all ought to know how to do, even if we never have to. Best of luck with it.

Erik