PDA

View Full Version : Should I keep Incra Twin Linear?

Steve Mathews
03-05-2016, 9:37 PM
I just acquired a new in box Incra Twin Linear router fence system. The box from Woodpeckers shows it to be s 21" range Complete System Package. I'm new to woodworking and have never used anything like this. I also don't have a router table yet to put it on. Should I keep it and learn to use it or start my routing with something simpler? If the former, what router table is recommended?

Steve Mathews
03-05-2016, 10:15 PM
I like the idea behind the router table shown in the link below. It allows for a relatively quick assembly of the base unit while the drawers and interior cabinet work can be done later.
http://lumberjocks.com/projects/82766

Matt Evans
03-06-2016, 12:13 AM
If I remember correctly that is a darn good fence. I'd personally say keep it, build a router table and install it. Most prebuilt router tables are junk, but the a shop made table and a good fence can be a joy to use.

Use the router to build your cabinet/router table. Routing freehand and routers in tables act differently, since you approach them very differently to achieve the same tasks, but it'll give you some ideas as to the routers limits and tendencies.

Steve Mathews
03-06-2016, 8:08 AM
Thanks Matt! I wasn't expecting the comment regarding the router table. Does that include the top as well as the base itself? After reading some of the manufacturers claims, Incra for example, the top seemed like the exception in that they are made with equipment not normally available to the hobbyist and are better. Is that true? As mentioned before, I like the idea above of using the Incra stand as a frame to get the router up and running and then add the shelves and drawers later. Can the shop made frame be that much better?

Matt Evans
03-06-2016, 8:34 AM
The Incra stand looks ok, but would definitely need to be beefed up a bit. The top looks decent, but I haven't had the opportunity to use one of those tables in person. I like the fact that it has a miter slot with the aluminum rail inserted in it. I also like the mounting plate and dust cabinet. It could well be one of the exceptions and be a really good router table.

In my experience, Melamine tops to router tables are subject to a lot of wear, and become more difficult to use as the melamine gets worn away. Wood slides on the top very nicely when new, but there is a marked dip in performance as the top is used more and more.

Aluminum tops tend to be "grabby", unless flat and brushed. Cast iron tops are awesome, but make sure you get one with a good miter slot or you'll be kicking yourself later.

Keep in mind that this is coming from someone who uses a shaper frequently, and will run about 200 linear ft per week through either a shaper or router table, so wear is very important to me, as is overall machine vibration dampening, base stability, etc.

Mike Cutler
03-06-2016, 8:52 AM
Definitely keep it.

Incra makes very good equipment. It may look a little foreign to you now, but once you get more familiar with the router, and woodworking, you will find out how valuable that fence will be. Leave the fence in the box for now, it's not eating anything.
You would be hard pressed to replicate that fence system, and be kicking yourself in the behind in a few years, if you got rid of it.

Don't build a cheap router table. You'll only end up building it again. A well built router table is a joy work with.