PDA

View Full Version : Plane Iron Assistance!

Josh Nelson
03-05-2016, 9:16 PM
I picked up a beautiful standing fillister plane or skewed rebate plane today (has spot for a nicker, skewed, depth stop, no fence) today at a garage sale for $5 but of course there is no iron and no nicker. I'm mystified as to where I can pick up a decent iron for this beauty. I slid a standard Stanley blade in where I could, and I'm guessing from the thickness of the wedge, that this is essentially going to be a thicker iron (and skewed of course). Being skewed the seated length of the blade extends down the right side (if you are looking from above) so are the Lie-Nielsen moulding plane replacements going to be my best bet?

Jim Koepke
03-05-2016, 10:59 PM
A picture would sure help to understand what it is you need.

How wide is the blade?

This is one of the reasons I shy away from old wood bodied planes without blades.

A picture of the area where the blade rests with and without the wedge might help someone know if they have something to fit.

jtk

Mike Henderson
03-05-2016, 11:32 PM
An old plane without an iron can become an expensive plane - when you finally find an iron to fit. It's always best to only buy a plane with an iron.

Mike

Kees Heiden
03-06-2016, 3:40 AM
How about finding a big, worm eaten round moulding plane and use the blade from that one?

Jim Koepke
03-06-2016, 12:55 PM
How about finding a big, worm eaten round moulding plane and use the blade from that one?

I have some old skew rabbet planes and the tail on the iron is in the center. My hollow & round molding planes tend to have the tail on one side.

If Josh does have a side tailed blade on his, then he might be in luck.

jtk

Kees Heiden
03-06-2016, 1:32 PM
I thought moving filister planes had the stem of the iron on the side too. They are not build like a normal rabbet plane.

Jim Koepke
03-06-2016, 1:50 PM
I thought moving filister planes had the stem of the iron on the side too. They are not build like a normal rabbet plane.

That may be the case.

jtk