PDA

View Full Version : What they use in Japan to saw joinery

Tony Wilkins
03-05-2016, 6:26 PM
I'm curious from our Japanese to experts what the Japanese use to cut fine joinery. I know that many western woodworkers use dozuki to cut dovetails but I think I fember the saw being designed for another task. I usually use my 210mm ryoba if I use a Japanese saw for fined work.

Brian Holcombe
03-05-2016, 6:36 PM
Various sizes of ryoba would probably do fine for most, and a few special saws for odd situations.

Stanley Covington
03-05-2016, 7:18 PM
I'm curious from our Japanese to experts what the Japanese use to cut fine joinery. I know that many western woodworkers use dozuki to cut dovetails but I think I fember the saw being designed for another task. I usually use my 210mm ryoba if I use a Japanese saw for fined work.

Really a matter of personal preference.

I know craftsmen (not carpenters) that don't like the ryoba when sawing boards because the off-side blade tends to hang up in deeper cuts, and the off-side teeth scores what would otherwise be a very clean cut. This is true, but not always important. I have seen sashimonoshi do everything but cut tenon shoulders with ryoba.

Whatever joiners use in the shop, all of them I have seen use a small ryoba in the field for installation for speed and convenience. Both shallow rip cuts and crosscuts are needed, and one saw with both blades is very efficient.

Not much help.

I think purists like kataba, and generalists like the ryoba. But nothing can take the place of fine dozuki.

Stan

Tony Wilkins
03-05-2016, 7:24 PM
I need to go read Odate again. What were dozukis original purpose?

Jim Koepke
03-05-2016, 7:53 PM
I need to go read Odate again. What were dozukis original purpose?

Maybe I should read it once.

I have no idea what a sashimonoshi or a kataba might be. I have an inkling of what a ryoba and a dozuki might be, but I could be totally wrong.

Even though Japanese saws are occasionally used in my shop, I have no idea what they are called.

jtk

Tony Wilkins
03-05-2016, 7:58 PM
Maybe I should read it once.

I have no idea what a sashimonoshi or a kataba might be. I have an inkling of what a ryoba and a dozuki might be, but I could be totally wrong.

Even though Japanese saws are occasionally used in my shop, I have no idea what they are called.

jtk

Kataba is a one sided backless saw
ryoba is a two sided backless saw - rip one side, cross cut the other generally
dozuki is a backed one sided saw

Jim Koepke
03-05-2016, 8:16 PM
Kataba is a one sided backless saw
ryoba is a two sided backless saw - rip one side, cross cut the other generally
dozuki is a backed one sided saw

Well my idea of what a ryoba might be was right.

jtk

Tony Wilkins
03-05-2016, 8:30 PM
Well my idea of what a ryoba might be was right.

jtk

Here is Wilbur Pan's advise when I bought my Ryoba. There's a good picture of all three saws I listed on it.

Jim Koepke
03-05-2016, 8:32 PM
Here is Wilbur Pan's advise when I bought my Ryoba. There's a good picture of all three saws I listed on it.

Is there a link in there somewhere? I couldn't find it.

jtk

Tony Wilkins
03-05-2016, 8:53 PM
Is there a link in there somewhere? I couldn't find it.

jtk

http://giantcypress.net/post/533383638/the-problem-with-buying-a-japanese-saw

Stanley Covington
03-05-2016, 10:51 PM
Sorry for using so many Japanese terms. I don't speak or think much in English nowadays.

Tony's description of the saw terms is of course spot on. Sashimonoshi is a craftsman that makes sashimono, a very understated and refined style of furniture, casework, boxes etc. that heavily influenced several famous Western architects and designers including FL Wright, the Green brothers, and J Krenov. http://itot.jp/interview/216

These guys are considered the very best in their field in Japan. A defining absolute rule among them is to use no metal fasteners.

Stan

Pat Barry
03-06-2016, 8:29 AM
Stanley, very interesting article. I especially liked the furniture. Can you tell me what the piece of furniture is in the second image. It is a stacked set of three boxes made from light colored wood with legs made of contrasting dark wood. What is it used for.

Stanley Covington
03-06-2016, 9:25 AM
Stanley, very interesting article. I especially liked the furniture. Can you tell me what the piece of furniture is in the second image. It is a stacked set of three boxes made from light colored wood with legs made of contrasting dark wood. What is it used for.

I believe it is for containing kimono and kimono accessories in preparation for dressing. The three paulownia wood boxes nest inside the darker wood frame for ease of carrying clothing from storage chests or cabinets to dressing area, and can be removed and spread out for easy access.

Here is an interesting youtube video of a Tokyo Sashimonoshi at work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5pJxeT3rEo

Notice how the old boy is using a humble azebiki saw to cut secret mitred dovetails, and pretty much ignores his rough layout lines. He's been doing it this way longer than I have been alive.

Here is another link to a TV program in English on the subject of sashimonoshi. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsLo4aaaMds

Stan