PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected uses for laser

John Blazy
03-05-2016, 4:43 PM
Since getting my laser, I have found myself using the laser in place of other machining / cutting operations that I need to do, and now have a new mindset when confronted with a part I need, adding "can this be cut / made with the laser?" to my usual list of tools/processes going through my mind.

After seeing the thread about retreading worn out soles on sandals, shoes, boots etc, I have wondered what other uses that those of you (who have had your laser for many years) have come up with.

I recently needed to cut a new gasket for one of my spray guns, and had an extra pc of foamed Teflon from the last gasket I made (with a razor knife - PITA, but it worked), and simply measured it, programed it and cut it perfectly with the laser.

Another time, I needed two bushings for a mini paint roller to accept larger DIA paint roller tubes - laser did it perfectly from acrylic.

What other cool shop uses have you all come up with?

Just thought of this: Mothers day is coming up quick, and need to make a card for mom from the laser.

What have you all done? I assume gaskets of all sorts, maybe some rubber washers of certain shapes / thickness.

Gotta bunch of Baltic birch in the ready, waiting for some future uses besides my templates.

Joe Pelonio
03-05-2016, 9:58 PM
I cut some little ABS oval screw covers for the trim round the windshield on an old car when the old ones broke during removal. I have made several acrylic inserts for different sewing machines for my wife. The most fun has been engraving food, such as cookies, Halloween Jack-o-Lanterns bananas (peels) and a few others.

Leo Graywacz
03-05-2016, 10:08 PM
I cut some little ABS oval screw covers for the trim round the windshield on an old car when the old ones broke during removal. I have made several acrylic inserts for different sewing machines for my wife. The most fun has been engraving food, such as cookies, Halloween Jack-o-Lanterns bananas (peels) and a few others.

$12 worth of work on a 30 cent cookie :rolleyes:

John Blazy
03-05-2016, 11:12 PM
Halloween Jack-o-Lanterns bananas (peels) and a few others.

OOOhh - pumpkin carving!! Halloween is not exactly around the corner, but I want to see how deep a laser will cut a pumpkin. Maybe ill try a zucchini. Maybe make square pancakes. Maybe make star shaped pancakes.

alan corder
03-06-2016, 7:15 AM
Haven't done it yet but was thinking of cutting leather tap washers. I've got some old belts lying around.

Bob Davis - Sturgis SD
03-06-2016, 8:00 AM
I've recently discovered you can engrave a design into Delrin, then use the Delrin as a die to stamp designs into leather. Works surprisingly well.

Bob

Joe Pelonio
03-06-2016, 2:02 PM
$12 worth of work on a 30 cent cookie :rolleyes:

My own homemade sugar cookies, for fun, not profit. ;)

Doug Hoffman
03-06-2016, 2:39 PM
If you want to see some stupid uses for the laser check out, Will it Laser on you tube.
They even laser on human skin.

Mike Chance in Iowa
03-06-2016, 3:39 PM
Check out the following thread that Joe started some time ago.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?181056-Household-uses-for-laser

Since then, I have made countless gaskets for various vintage vehicles. (Including the cute little red one above..) I have made more measuring tools out of acrylic to help with alignment. I made an elbow pad harness for a senior dog - cut the fabric & foam shapes on the laser and stitched it together. Now she's set for the roller derby. Made some tissue box holders out of scrap alder wood to cover those stylish cardboard tissue boxes.

While the laser isn't always the right tool for the job, sometimes it makes the job more fun. :-)

Joel Ifill
03-07-2016, 1:55 PM
I do a lot of tab and slot construction of wooden things. I also do live hinges in wood. Made some lovely wood veneer christmas cards that way.

John Blazy
03-11-2016, 4:27 PM
Had a lot of bills to pay today, needed to open a dozen envelopes and the laser was already set up to cut veneer . . .

Bill George
03-11-2016, 5:26 PM
My own homemade sugar cookies, for fun, not profit. ;)

You could also figure out the settings for raster or engraving that will bake the cookie and then vector cut it. I can see the sign now--- Custom Laser Cookies ---- while you wait?

AL Ursich
03-13-2016, 2:45 PM
A little off topic but I believe this is a hand held laser.... as a RUST remover....

Has a interesting possibility if you cut a foil mask like a sand blasting mask....

https://www.facebook.com/Ads305Miami/videos/1033660573358655/

David Somers
03-13-2016, 3:45 PM
I like the Rust Remover Al!!! Very cool.

I am afraid the limit of my silliness on the laser so far has been lasering our dog's name on his biscuits for his Birthday. His tail was wagging hard and he snarfed them down as fast as he could so I am sure he appreciated the effort.

John Blazy
03-13-2016, 4:14 PM
+1 on that hand held laser. I had no idea they existed. I always wondered if you could get a handheld unit. similar in danger to a nail gun - you have to intentionally shoot someone, although it looks like you could get accidentally hurt or hurt others too easily.

Otherwise - for the certified professional, that system is awesome!!! Maybe they will make a single beam unit for cutting thin materials on a jobsite. I am currently cutting wood veneers, and there is no way any other tool (razor knife, veneer saw, T-saw) will cut veneers as well, or as fast. I simply program a straight line cut, and feed the veneers in to a stop block or by eye. Gotta be similar needs for a portable unit at a construction site, like cutting insulation or something.

Al - is there any more info on this unit? the FB video didn't seem to link to any company. Nevermind - I found them - Worldlasers.com - Surface Preparation & Cleaning with Laser Machines (http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.worldlasers.com%2FYAG-Laser_Laser_Cleaning_Machines.htm&h=qAQGgzaoP&enc=AZMg34Aq1lthETCqsD6ZdhqHcYxwmWlj_3_4kBGY69q6wY LFk2shYtW257cO71-PicBhlDMCCnZIRJ57FnT7gUaRaNv3L8yp2c4MMlLzL6FmwX9Oj JUl8LGuKKLo5Elyp64I_MTccuPWd9U2YzleiaknqdkLp4RhvkE kPVudmPoD8g&s=1)
Laser cleaning Machine: Laser cleaning technology provides a safe, environmentally friendly and very cost effective way to improve cleaning, surface preparation and paint removal processes. Laser Cleaning applications & advantages at Worldlasers.com. (http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2FWorldlasers.com%2F&h=UAQHuV8I8&enc=AZOBQLPe2sFDKPE7bb8p_F8yvt9_4e6GDiPWdhLqpanj5l S6PNLYcl_Kxak5jZboT3Tx10xp-yX9zFH6Aq1nC4MrxoHCQY9NveLHKc4AMjkuHh3m47Yt3Zp4bPa O0D00UNaB4lGJOizIQW4ucfXSyz8Y_pnwLVGlohXJkAyMFL5Uf w&s=1)
worldlasers.com

Scott Challoner
03-14-2016, 6:09 PM
I did something similar with my galvo fiber. Worked pretty well on a honey knife my brother got at an auction. I had to do it in sections.

John Blazy
03-14-2016, 9:03 PM
333834I jus tried this on my rusty steel weight plate. Works as well as the video that Al posted. did 50mm/second @ 90% power on the last one and it takes rust off perfectly on all settings. I let it out of focus a bit too.

David Somers
03-14-2016, 9:40 PM
That was with your Rabbit John?

Hmmmm!

I have a friend who used to be a large engine mechanic and has lots of metal toys in his shop. He has been lusting after either a laser or a CNC to play with. This might tip him over the edge! Will see if I have something rusty kicking about to try this with on my 80W CO2 machine.

John Blazy
03-15-2016, 5:54 PM
Yep, my bunny laser. Seems like the surface is ready for a nice epoxy primer, then topcoat. I picked at it, and nothing coming off, and the lasered area appears to be lower than the rest, so it definitely took the rust layer off.
Although a wire wheel on grinder would likely do just as well, but a grinder wont do the whole surface with a simple press of a button.

Tempt your buddy - I approve. Then cut a few gaskets for him.

Bert Kemp
03-17-2016, 2:08 AM
Now I am going to get all my rusty tools into to laser:D

David Somers
03-17-2016, 1:35 PM
John....he may actually need me to cut a gasket or two for him. His wife will surely blow a gasket if he goes to her about buying a laser!!! He will need a replacement gasket at that point. <grin>

And Bert! Fortunately, my Chinese laser has a very deep Z on it. I think I can get things like the lawn mower in there after it has sat unused through this long, wet Seattle winter! (after our drought last summer we just broke the recorded records for rain Oct through March! And still two weeks to go in the season too!!)

And now, with the advent of some sunshine our lawn has gone nuts and needs to be mowed. Sigh. That extra hour of sunlight from daylight savings time really gets the plants going doesn't it? I have always thought that has to contribute to climate change. An extra hour of sunshine, during the warmest part of the year??? It HAS to have an effect, huh? (grin)

Mike Chance in Iowa
03-17-2016, 6:51 PM
And now, with the advent of some sunshine our lawn has gone nuts and needs to be mowed. Sigh. That extra hour of sunlight from daylight savings time really gets the plants going doesn't it? I have always thought that has to contribute to climate change. An extra hour of sunshine, during the warmest part of the year??? It HAS to have an effect, huh? (grin)

.... you mean you haven't modified your laser to cut your grass? Sheesh! You're slacking off now. (This being written by someone who has lawn mowers at the ready and can open the farm gate and say "go eat" when the grass is getting a bit long...;) )

David Somers
03-17-2016, 8:20 PM
Hey Mike!

Just because I haven't gone out with a Kickstarter Campaign announcement yet doesn't mean I haven't been busy developing things!!! I got a used 400 watt Kern laser and took it apart. I mounted in on a long rail that runs the length of my yard with the lens facing parallel to the ground at a perfect height for cutting the lawn. Since using the standard lens for the unit would have been silly......who wants a lawn laser cut a mere 2 inches away after all, I had to design a new lens system that created a tight, parallel beam of highly focused light that contained all the energy of the laser along its entire length. Once I had that done I placed protective steel coatings around all the plants my wife wanted to allow to grow and then tested it. It took very little time to laser cut the entire lawn, while leaving the plants and flowers standing upright. My next step is to set it up on a motion detector so it will act as a soliciting reduction system. I had that in place today and I think it worked OK. At least the disembodied feet in shoes remaining on my walkway at the entrance to the yard just past the "No Soliciting" sign would suggest it worked. The tops of the feet remaining were exactly the height of the neatly trimmed lawn which is a good sign. I will keep testing to make sure that both aspects of my system, lawn mowing and solicitation prevention, are working well.

Ooooooh. I need to run out and shut it off for now. The wife just got home from grocery shopping and is walking up to the gate!!! More on my project later!

.................................................. ......................

Paul Phillips
03-18-2016, 11:05 AM
Ha, ha, David, Hope you wife made it in with the groceries! Thanks for the comic relief. I'm thinking something like that would be great for a Halloween set up in the yard with some red LED lasers sweeping the path to the door mimicking deadly lasers, of course you would need the fake severed feet just at the start (evil grin!)

David Somers
03-18-2016, 1:20 PM
Oooooh! Great idea Paul!!!! Bwahahaha!!!

Mayo Pardo
03-19-2016, 2:37 AM

You have to do this within a day or two of the event - I have found that the lasered area tends to grow as it ages, and starts to look pretty bad. They also become quite sticky and will stick to themselves and the plastic from the bag they come in. As for the taste, it's nothing like completely roasting one over a campfire - and in fact it's barely noticeable.

Melissa Wollenweber
03-21-2016, 8:57 PM
Pumpkins work surprisingly well! But they are time consuming and take some tricks to engrave evenly. I did successfully cut through some pumpkins. Areas that were extra thick and didn't quite cut through, I just finished off with regular pumpkin carving tools. Got great compliments from people and sent some down to a big promotional event. Good project to have fun with. I'll be putting my pumpkin pictures back up on my website (under construction today, check back soon) but in the meantime, here's some Facebook photos of pumpkins I've done. The Jackalope is my favorite. https://www.facebook.com/PrismoDesigns/photos?ref=page_internal

John Blazy
03-22-2016, 9:53 AM
Those are cool, Melissa! Now Im thinking that dried out gourds will cut / engrave pretty well too.

Matt McCoy
03-22-2016, 12:06 PM
Here's some original artwork engraved on a pumpkin this past Halloween. It was fun and a bonus: Smelled like pumpkin pie.

John Esberg
11-08-2016, 7:31 PM
My most unique application was with Delrin. I had 1/4" sheet stock. I made raster engraved and then vector cut parts for R&D in a medical device company. It took me 8 hours to make all of the samples. I beat the Chinese prototype parts from mold injection by at least 2 weeks.

Chris DeGerolamo
11-09-2016, 8:31 AM
Delrin does do well, doesn't it? I have also had good results with 3-ply baltic birch for "temporary" use stamps. One fun thing I did was engrave a pic of Reagan in 3D mode (into wood) to produce an actual portrait stamp - it worked surprisingly well.

added [crumby cell phone] picture...

bill liscombe
11-09-2016, 11:41 AM
Ive engraved a leather mat for the Fanorona "board" game, Frag Plug stands for growing coral, light sabre internal parts, Rifle cleaning stand . Gaskets for farm machinery ( Chesterton gasket take 3 cuts ).

Gabriel Holmes
08-31-2018, 9:27 AM
I did some surface cleaning/prep tests with steel and aluminum using my 30W fiber laser - works pretty good! I was using a 110mm lens, 90% power. A second pass on the steel actually removed the pitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgLdP4xL5Jw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRDJXRfjl20

Tim Bateson
09-05-2018, 9:27 AM
I needed an exhaust gadget for my tractor. One day while cutting carbon fibre for aircraft brakes, I thought why not an exhaust gasket? Made a spare too, but the original one is working great even after several years of use.

Jerome Stanek
09-05-2018, 9:45 AM
I was working on installing a patio door and the brackets for my vertical blinds broke so I went out and cut some out of 25 mm clear acrylic

Ali Alali
09-05-2018, 8:44 PM
I'm new with the fiber metal 20w laser. 2 weeks with it. I'm making a custom design on stainless steel bottle then I sell it in my page on instagram

Keith Outten
09-06-2018, 8:19 AM
I have been cutting gaskets for many years. Most recently I cut gaskets for a sulky style tractor built in the 1930's. The carburetor gaskets were very small and delicate, cut them from file folder material. In this case making the gaskets was the only option, they are not available anymore. I made a few other gaskets for this machine that my friend is rebuilding. Awhile back I shared pictures of the wheels we rebuilt, the original rims were rotted away so we found newer wheels and robbed the rims by welding them to the original spokes.

Kev Williams
09-06-2018, 1:03 PM
Last week I engraved a toilet tank lid in the Triumph, as an experiment for a new customer- I was hoping the fiber would engrave it, but it turns out vitreous china is pretty much Kryptonite to my fiber at least- but 80 watts and slow going chewed thru the surface quite nicely. Painted the logo with 2 colors of enamel and it looked really nice when it was done-

But this tank lid was just a test to see if I could engrave the actual product: Urinals... And yes, they're new :)

They're going in the bathrooms of our county's new Mosquito Abatement District's building. When I'm done, there'll be a big black mosquito engraved in the bottom to.... you know :D

And because of the Triumph's no-moving-table design and my alterations, setup will be no big deal...

Bill George
09-06-2018, 4:31 PM
So I have these little things on my arm, the dermatologist takes off with liquid nitrogen. Which would be better the co2 or fiber laser? Low power of course.

Jerome Stanek
09-06-2018, 6:12 PM
So I have these little things on my arm, the dermatologist takes off with liquid nitrogen. Which would be better the co2 or fiber laser? Low power of course.

I think you would need a lot more power that way the arm comes off with one pass

Kev Williams
09-06-2018, 6:17 PM
C02 Bill :D

One of my customers last week, honestly, wanted me to let her put her hand under the fiber beam... first, I explained the fiber was the wrong wavelength for engraving organics like her hand, second, do you see what it's doing to that piece of metal there?? And third, a 30w C02 that IS the right wavelength for meat, even at 1% power, I can only imagine what that would feel like! She assured me she's probably endured worse. I've known her for years, and she probably has!

I know that tattoo removal by laser is pretty spendy, what does one charge for tattoo application by laser? ;)

Katie m Pierce
09-14-2018, 3:21 PM
when I laser engraved my cookies I thought they tasted funny :) loving this thread though. Im not the only one that has tried food :)

John Blazy
09-14-2018, 8:01 PM
I did some surface cleaning/prep tests with steel and aluminum using my 30W fiber laser - works pretty good! I was using a 110mm lens, 90% power. A second pass on the steel actually removed the pitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgLdP4xL5Jw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRDJXRfjl20

Dayamm. That really removes stuff. Cool!!

I needed an exhaust gadget for my tractor. One day while cutting carbon fibre for aircraft brakes, I thought why not an exhaust gasket? Made a spare too, but the original one is working great even after several years of use.
So many uses, so little time. Its the programming that takes forever, and laser cut time only only seconds. But we still do it.

I was working on installing a patio door and the brackets for my vertical blinds broke so I went out and cut some out of 25 mm clear acrylic
Perfect use!!!! one inch thick acrylic? Really? If it works, then cool. Never underestimate thickness. You can just do multiple passes.

I'm new with the fiber metal 20w laser. 2 weeks with it. I'm making a custom design on stainless steel bottle then I sell it in my page on instagram
Another great use.

I have been cutting gaskets for many years. Most recently I cut gaskets for a sulky style tractor built in the 1930's. The carburetor gaskets were very small and delicate, cut them from file folder material. In this case making the gaskets was the only option, they are not available anymore. I made a few other gaskets for this machine that my friend is rebuilding. Awhile back I shared pictures of the wheels we rebuilt, the original rims were rotted away so we found newer wheels and robbed the rims by welding them to the original spokes.
Yep, gaskets are truly needed when you weigh the time/expense of ordering custom.

Last week I engraved a toilet tank lid in the Triumph, as an experiment for a new customer- I was hoping the fiber would engrave it, but it turns out vitreous china is pretty much Kryptonite to my fiber at least- but 80 watts and slow going chewed thru the surface quite nicely. Painted the logo with 2 colors of enamel and it looked really nice when it was done-

But this tank lid was just a test to see if I could engrave the actual product: Urinals... And yes, they're new :)
They're going in the bathrooms of our county's new Mosquito Abatement District's building. When I'm done, there'll be a big black mosquito engraved in the bottom to.... you know :D

And because of the Triumph's no-moving-table design and my alterations, setup will be no big deal...
I would soooo pee into one of your urinals. Need to right now. Where are they again?

So I have these little things on my arm, the dermatologist takes off with liquid nitrogen. Which would be better the co2 or fiber laser? Low power of course. Burn it NOW!!

C02 Bill :D

One of my customers last week, honestly, wanted me to let her put her hand under the fiber beam... first, I explained the fiber was the wrong wavelength for engraving organics like her hand, second, do you see what it's doing to that piece of metal there?? And third, a 30w C02 that IS the right wavelength for meat, even at 1% power, I can only imagine what that would feel like! She assured me she's probably endured worse. I've known her for years, and she probably has!

I know that tattoo removal by laser is pretty spendy, what does one charge for tattoo application by laser? ;)

Sounds like an untapped market. Imagine how fast laser tattoo would be, and how accurate. Just inject Ceramark under the skin, then laser away, then "rinse" the remaining ceramark using liposuction tech. Hurts just typing that out.

when I laser engraved my cookies I thought they tasted funny :) loving this thread though. Im not the only one that has tried food :)
Need to install hickory veneer between the laser and the cookie, or the meat, or whatever. I grill with hickory between my flame arrestors and the grate, so think in reverse. The ultimate rare cooking of tenderloin - laser the surface of the filet through hickory veneer for the flavor. Make sure to soak the veneer in water first.

Such cool uses for laser! Lately I have been making my laminates for gun grips and knife handles, but recently marked out my solid CF for cutting with wet diamond. Sent some to Aston Martin today. Laser doesn't cut CF, but it marks it quite well for cutting. I also mark out steel for cutting by sprinkling powder coat powder on the surface, and the laser melts it into the cut lines.

Bill George
09-15-2018, 12:29 PM
I am sure you have all seen the advertised blue or purple ultra small laser in a cube, about the size of the old school childrens wood block with a little fold out stand. Shows a lady burning/engraving a coaster for a gift.... at her desk or the other when a guy is laser marking the foam on top of a cup of coffee. Neither one had safety or protective glasses. This was on Facebook and if its on there it has to be Special.

Kev Williams
09-15-2018, 10:22 PM
Not exactly an UN expected use--

Ever since I got this for the wife's birthday a few years ago (and forgive the pics, it was almost dark and the thing needs a wash!)

--I've wanted to get some Wile E. Coyote emblems for it :)
-but all I've found is a white sticker some guy made for his truck-
--nah...

I'm supposing trademark issues is why no one's selling them...
since personal use doesn't constitute infringement, I decided to take a stab at making my own...

Not bad for a first draft- I didn't want just a sticker, so what I did was sandwiched a glossy photo in between 2 pieces of 1/16" thick plex. The adhesive I used was Rustoleum clear enamel. ;) - The tricky part creating the cut path for the laser, and hoping it would line up good- It cut out near perfect. But overall it needs work...

First, the back piece needs to be solid black, the clear is okay but it creates a double-vision mirror image of the car when viewed from the side..
Second, I either need to cut out the white between his arms and legs, or paint them black on the photo...
And the clear enamel air-bubbled badly, going to use Loctite Go2 glue next try.

vic casware
09-16-2018, 9:29 PM
There is a You Tube video of a Russian getting NHL tattoo in a laser engraver :eek: