PDA

View Full Version : Taping Bamboo cutting boards

Ron Sleeman
03-05-2016, 3:45 PM
Hello Everyone: I have bamboo cutting boards that have a finish on them. I would like to engrave them and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions as to what kind of tape to us that will stick to the board. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have tried the MT Main Tape from Trotec and it won't stick to the wood. I have used this tape on unfinished wood and it sticks good, but not to finished wood.

Thanks Ron Sleeman

Brian Lamb
03-05-2016, 9:17 PM
Blue 3M masking tape? Works for me.....

Andrew Holloway
03-05-2016, 9:27 PM
You could try taping tightly all the way around the board so the tape is sticking to itself. It won't be a perfect seal over the wood but will stop most smoke marks. And if the finish is smooth, any marks should wipe off fairly easily.

Joe Pelonio
03-05-2016, 9:32 PM
I have engraved a lot of bamboo using R-Tape High Tac transfer tape without any problems sticking. I wonder if the finish on yours is an oil. If so, not much would stick.

Ron Sleeman
03-05-2016, 9:39 PM
Thanks all, Joe they are oil finished on them. I will put them through my dual head sander to take the oil off.

Bert Kemp
03-05-2016, 10:36 PM
just curious as to why tape them at all. I never taped any I have done.

Ron Sleeman
03-05-2016, 11:12 PM
Hello Bert: I want to paint them black

Bert Kemp
03-06-2016, 12:34 AM
You want to paint the engraving black? I lower my table about 1/8th inch out of focus and the engraving is almost black. Then I just wipe off the smoke residue with a wet cloth. No Tape No Paint.

Hello Bert: I want to paint them black

Bill Reibelt
03-06-2016, 4:40 PM
You want to paint the engraving black? I lower my table about 1/8th inch out of focus and the engraving is almost black. Then I just wipe off the smoke residue with a wet cloth. No Tape No Paint.
Does the black wipe out when you us the damp cloth?

Bert Kemp
03-06-2016, 4:46 PM
I wipe the smoke residue off the top of the board , the engraving itself is deep and the wood is charred. Never tried to wipe that out. I would imaging if you tried to wipe down into the engraving some of the charr would come off. If you sealed it after engraving it would stay the same . I'll have to try and wipe it out.

Does the black wipe out when you us the damp cloth?