PDA

View Full Version : Sounds fishy to me....

Raymond Seward
03-05-2016, 2:24 PM
So, I put my Unisaw for sale on CraigsList and got the following text from "someone"

"Ok I will pay youvia Paypal and i will have my shipper come pick it up but i can't get cash across to my shipper directly because i willbe out of state for work and they don't use paypal so i will add extra money tothe payment for my shipper so that you can pay my shipper on my behalf, send me your paypal info forpayment if you have one so we can proceed.that you can pay my shipper on my behalf, send me your paypal info for payment if you have one so we can proceed."

Strange to say the least...obviously some sort of scam....they did not talk to me. I did not answer the text nor plan to...The only thing I can think of is they are trying to get PayPal info.....anyone ever come across this?

Jim Koepke
03-05-2016, 2:30 PM
The sad part is this could be some innocent person who is unaware of how much it comes across as a scam.

If they are that unaware, they will likely remove a limb with the Unisaw and then try to find a lawyer to sue you for not warning you of every possible danger.

I would pass on this. Too many ways it can go bad including Paypal's willingness to cancel a transaction after the fact.

If it is "their shipper" they should have a good relationship with them to handle the payment.

This is too much like the cashiers check scam of old. Where they not only get the item you were selling, they also get some of your money.

jtk

Lenore Epstein
03-05-2016, 7:24 PM
I'm with Jim.

True, the guy may not realize that what he's asking is just plain silly, but there's a simple solution: he sends you the money first, including shipping, so you can pay the shipper with the buyer's money instead of fronting him both the shipping and item for free. It's not rocket science...

chase standifer
03-05-2016, 7:35 PM
It is a well known craigslist scam, I have had almost the exact same message on three or four different items I have sold. The would most likely ask to use a check and then to pay their shipper via money order. By the time the bank figures out the check isnt any good the money from the money order is long gone.

Brian Ashton
03-06-2016, 5:44 AM
So, I put my Unisaw for sale on CraigsList and got the following text from "someone"

"Ok I will pay youvia Paypal and i will have my shipper come pick it up but i can't get cash across to my shipper directly because i willbe out of state for work and they don't use paypal so i will add extra money tothe payment for my shipper so that you can pay my shipper on my behalf, send me your paypal info forpayment if you have one so we can proceed.that you can pay my shipper on my behalf, send me your paypal info for payment if you have one so we can proceed."

Strange to say the least...obviously some sort of scam....they did not talk to me. I did not answer the text nor plan to...The only thing I can think of is they are trying to get PayPal info.....anyone ever come across this?

Can you trace where the response is coming from? If that's a cut n paste that you've done there I'd say they're not English speaking.

Maybe you could send a message back saying you want direct deposit because you aren't able to open a paypal account. Open up a new account at a different bank and let them have at it. If anything shows up in the account immediately withdraw it. Don't give them a real address (maybe the local police dept...)and see where it goes. Scam the scammer I say. If after they deposit any money and they respond back tell them you need a verifiable address and phone number to move forward.

dennis thompson
03-06-2016, 6:20 AM
We are moving so I put a few items on Craigslist. I got the same message as you on each one. It's a scam.

Robert Engel
03-06-2016, 6:33 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but what are they trying to do, break into your PayPal acct?

Tell them to send a money order with their shipper.

Raymond Seward
03-06-2016, 7:47 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but what are they trying to do, break into your PayPal acct?

That's the only thing I can guess....I have no intention on answering the text.

Erik Loza
03-06-2016, 8:09 AM
LOL, this basically sounds like every time I have tried to sell something worth any money on CL: Cars, camera gear, you name it.

"I will be delighted to hear back from you with all haste so that we may deposit the Western Union check for double the selling price into your account. Yours very truly, Agent for Prince so-and-so, of such-and-such African country...."

Erik

Mike Cutler
03-06-2016, 8:41 AM

Look up "Nigerian Scam" and it will explain how it works. This is a variant of the scam.
This is only the beginning of it, as it goes along there are more promises of additional monies.

Jim Becker
03-06-2016, 9:02 AM
There are key things in this wording that speaks to it being a reiteration of a long time scam...not local, sending their "shipper", sending extra money, etc. I personally wouldn't reply. It's generally best to specify "local only" and stick to that when selling via Craig's List and other similar listing services.

Jay Jolliffe
03-06-2016, 9:17 AM
I put a table saw on Craig's List & received almost the same e-mail .....Told them cash only & didn't hear anything else from them .

Peter Kelly
03-06-2016, 9:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QdPW8JrYzQ

Grant Wilkinson
03-06-2016, 10:16 AM
Robert: You may have your answer in the other posts, but it works like this. Say you are selling for $500 and shipping is $100. The buyer sends you a paypal payment of $600. You pay the shipping company $100. The buyer contacts Paypal and says he never got the saw, so they cancel his payment to you. You have nothing and you are out the $100 to the shipper. If the shipper actually picks up the saw, you are also out the saw.

Bill ThompsonNM
03-06-2016, 10:50 AM
So, I put my Unisaw for sale on CraigsList and got the following text from "someone" "Ok I will pay youvia Paypal and i will have my shipper come pick it up but i can't get cash across to my shipper directly because i willbe out of state for work and they don't use paypal so i will add extra money tothe payment for my shipper so that you can pay my shipper on my behalf, send me your paypal info forpayment if you have one so we can proceed.that you can pay my shipper on my behalf, send me your paypal info for payment if you have one so we can proceed." Strange to say the least...obviously some sort of scam....they did not talk to me. I did not answer the text nor plan to...The only thing I can think of is they are trying to get PayPal info.....anyone ever come across this?
Standard scam. I've seen it for cars, horses, power tools....

Judson Green
03-06-2016, 11:31 AM
craigslist is been good to me but only cash in hand. nothing else is even considered. well i guess i'd consider a trade but that hasn't come up.

Greg R Bradley
03-06-2016, 12:28 PM
ZERO chance this is legitimate. Multiple indications that show 100% chance of scam plus numerous indications of likely scam.

Frederick Skelly
03-06-2016, 8:39 PM
That TED video was pretty darn funny Peter. That Brit was hilarious!