PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Tool Purchase on Craigslist - Opinions?

Ryan Schwab
03-05-2016, 1:49 PM
Hello SMC! Looking for a little advice on a group of tools I found on Craigslist. I'm looking to add to/upgrade existing tools in my workshop that I'm building. My main question is how fair of a price is this for what's described? Let's assume everything is in working condition. Doing some rough math, it seems we're in the ballpark but I wanted to get a second opinion on both value and if what I'm buying is even worth owning. Let's say for the sake of this argument $2000 is the settled price.

Any/All opinions welcome! buffalo.craigslist.org/tls/5418769030.html

For reference, I'm using a 113 Craftsman with some upgrades and a run-of-the-mill craftsman bandsaw & RAS. A jointer & planer have been on my radar for a bit and the plan is to sell what I may not use. Also, I am handy enough to do some refurbishing, repairs, re-assembly, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Dan Friedrichs
03-05-2016, 2:09 PM
I wouldn't buy any of that stuff, but I suppose it depends on what you need/want.

The jointer is only 6" and short bed - questionably useful. For $875, you could get a brand-new 8" jointer: http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-x-72-Jointer-with-Mobile-Base/G0656W

The planer might be OK, as might the bandsaw. On the craigslist in my area, either of those could be had for $200, though.

The dust collector is way too small to be useful. I wouldn't pay $20 for it.

Ditto for the table saw.

I see similar drill presses on my local craigslist for $20-$50.

The RAS is pretty useless. A cheap saw to begin with, and RAS's, as a design, aren't especially useful or great at holding settings.

The wood might be worth something, depending on quality and your local prices on cherry and oak (and is it white oak or red oak?). That pile could be worth $200 or $1k - can't tell without looking much, much closer.

So, I'd pass on it. They were cheap, low-quality tools 15 years ago, and they haven't aged well.

I think people get the idea that they need "lots" of machines, but really, a quality table saw, jointer/planer, bandsaw, miter saw, and drill press is nearly all you need. Invest in quality, and you'll only pay once - buy cheap stuff, and you're paying for it again and again and...

William C Rogers
03-05-2016, 2:16 PM
Not anything to add from what Dan said. I think he said it all.

Ryan Schwab
03-05-2016, 2:58 PM
Thanks for the prompt response Dan.

I'll keep my eye out for a better jointer/planer then unless I decide it's worth buying new.

Bruce Page
03-05-2016, 3:32 PM
Some of the wood, maybe. None of the machinery looks like it was very well taken care of. I had that 12" planer, it was a complete piece of junk. It did a nice job as long as you had a sacrificial 6-8" of board length because it sniped so bad on each end. I would pass on all of it.

Robyn Horton
03-05-2016, 4:34 PM
Ryan ... it looks like your from the Buffalo area so you may want to take a look on the other side of the river on the Canadian side for tools too where your dollar is worth almost 40% more . Take a look on the Kijiji its just the same as craigslist and use St Catharines for the area
it might save you some money

Jerome Stanek
03-05-2016, 6:21 PM
Ryan ... it looks like your from the Buffalo area so you may want to take a look on the other side of the river on the Canadian side for tools too where your dollar is worth almost 40% more . Take a look on the Kijiji its just the same as craigslist and use St Catharines for the area

The trouble with that is customs getting it across the border

Allan Speers
03-05-2016, 7:12 PM

Not only that, but the Canucks have a lot of used "General" brand machines, which are super high quality. (Not the newer import "General International.")

Jeff Keith
03-05-2016, 7:15 PM

One way to bypass customs is to transport your Canadian booty by using a French voyageur type canoe, camouflaged as a beaver lodge. Launch the canoe at Port Colborne; go slowly making sure to hug the shoreline of lake Erie - you don't want to end up in Cleveland. If anyone gets suspicious, bring the canoe to a stop and rotate the bandsaw blade on a fresh piece of poplar - sounds just like a beaver having dinner. Works every time.

Wade Lippman
03-05-2016, 10:18 PM

I bought a dog in Toronto and was expecting trouble at the border. They asked if I bought anything, I said just the dog, they said okay go on.

Might work the same with tools; who knows.

Actually, now that I think of it, I sold a cyclone to someone in Canada. They didn't seem to care.

Robert Engel
03-06-2016, 6:04 AM
He's got from $500-1000 worth of lumber there depending on the quality. Based on the quality of the tools he's got, I wouldn't expect much.
That leaves $1500 for tools (and that's generous)?? He's nuts!

"Vintage Craftsman" translation "junk" IMO. You can't get $50 for those RAS's around here.
$150 for the jointer.
The shaper he'll be lucky to give away.
DC $100 tops.
The compact TS is junk.
The bandsaw is OK I picked up a 12" Jet for $125 at a yard sale.

PASS..........

Jerome Stanek
03-06-2016, 7:17 AM
One way to bypass customs is to transport your Canadian booty by using a French voyageur type canoe, camouflaged as a beaver lodge. Launch the canoe at Port Colborne; go slowly making sure to hug the shoreline of lake Erie - you don't want to end up in Cleveland. If anyone gets suspicious, bring the canoe to a stop and rotate the bandsaw blade on a fresh piece of poplar - sounds just like a beaver having dinner. Works every time.

Hey I represent that. I'm from just south of Cleveland

scott spencer
03-06-2016, 8:44 AM
I see about $1600 worth of stuff, and much of it is torn apart. I'd either offer a lot less, or would look to getting what you really want and need one tool at a time.

Ryan Schwab
03-06-2016, 9:07 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone - looks like we have a consensus.

I had never thought about Kijiji, I'll have to start checking that out. Sounds like it's time to build a canoe...

Jeff Ramsey
03-06-2016, 9:18 AM
"The RAS is pretty useless. A cheap saw to begin with, and RAS's, as a design, aren't especially useful or great at holding settings."

That would depend on what RAS someone is considering. Older, higher quality turret saws are fine saws. My 1986 Delta 12" RAS is extremely accurate and holds adjustments. My RAS is a frequently used tool in my shop for cutoffs. OMGAs and Original RASs are excellent saws. Low-end RASs (eg Craftsman) have unfortunately given the tool a bad reputation, and I wouldn't own one of those.

Robyn Horton
03-06-2016, 10:43 AM
I'm not 100% sure but think you guy's in the US can return with $800 of goods from Can on a short trip , like a few hours not days compared to Canadians returning from the US we can bring $20 for a few hours but they are usually good to $100 without paying

Jon Endres
03-07-2016, 1:52 PM
I'd give a couple hundred bucks for the lumber if it was relatively straight. The rest of it is more or less scrap metal.