PDA

View Full Version : Teflon or heavy felt?

Bruce Volden
03-05-2016, 10:55 AM
I built and installed this "barn door" for our new master bath for the missus. She chose the color-not me. She liked the idea of bright oceanic/carribean colors to add some flair? Did I mention we live in South Dakota, yeah! gets quite cold here!
Anyway, I used outside corner trim thingies so I didn't have to miter the trim boards.
I notice that when using the door the outside corner pieces are within 1/8" of the back of the door and am concerned about having the door rub on them sometime down the line.
Any suggestions?

Bruce

Malcolm Schweizer
03-05-2016, 1:38 PM
I happen to like the color- looks like the water down here. Why not pretend it is warm, even if it is not. Get in the tub with your mask and fins on.

Lee Valley sells UHMW tape they call "Slippery Tape." My friend has heavy mahogany doors that slide in wood tracks lined with similar stuff and they glide like they are on bearings.

jared herbert
03-08-2016, 10:18 PM
I have been asked to build a door like this, they are popular on hgtv now I guess. Anyway, I was wondering where you got the track and rollers for hanging this door? Thanks in advance, Jared

Mel Fulks
03-08-2016, 10:25 PM
I like the color too. Don't think much beige is sold anywhere other than USA. Isn't that basically a fire door? Wouldn't be surprised if that type is still sold, lots still in use.

Curt Harms
03-09-2016, 6:51 AM
I have been asked to build a door like this, they are popular on hgtv now I guess. Anyway, I was wondering where you got the track and rollers for hanging this door? Thanks in advance, Jared

Google is your friend. "sliding door hardware" should yield some choices.

Bruce Volden
03-09-2016, 8:10 AM
The hardware came from an old outbuilding we tore down several years ago.
We have MANY old items we plan on "re-purposing" and incorporating into phase 2-the kitchen-probably starting
this summer??

Bruce