PDA

View Full Version : steel city bandsaw electrical problem...

Mike Kees
03-05-2016, 9:29 AM
I have a steel city 18 inch bandsaw. The other day when I turned it on it sort of "half started " and died. Nothing. There is a reset button by the switch tried it ,nothing. I then checked breaker all good,next plugged another tool in outlet it worked, so power is good. What should I check next, or what is my trouble shooting order ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Mike.

John Aperahama
03-05-2016, 10:20 AM
Check your capacitors.

Lee Schierer
03-05-2016, 3:32 PM
Most likely it is a dirty switch, but it could be the capacitor. I've had to replace two switches on my Delta 14" saw due to dust getting inside the switch body. Unplug your saw and direct wire the motor to the cord with out the switch. PLug in the power cord. If it runs, your switch is bad. If it hums or just sits there your capacitor is bad.

Dan Hahr
03-05-2016, 8:02 PM
Is the internals stuck in the off position? My table saw does that occasionally.

Dan

Mike Kees
03-05-2016, 8:07 PM
Thanks for the replies, I just got home so after supper I will go try out Lee's suggestions. Will post results after...

Mike Kees
03-05-2016, 8:13 PM
I am thinking that it is the switch, because it doesn't click from on to off. So if it is the switch does anyone have a good source for quality replacement switches ?

Ken Fitzgerald
03-05-2016, 8:14 PM
I looked and couldn't find a wiring diagram for this bandsaw. By any chance does this model have a switch on the wheel covers/doors?

Erik Manchester
03-06-2016, 6:30 AM
Mike, I have had a similar issue with a TS when dust got into the mag starter and gummed up the microswitch that activates the coil. I blew some compressed air into it and the starter worked properly afterwards. As others indicate, it could be the capacitor. If you bypass your starter switch and the motor starts right off you can rule out the capacitor.

Mike Kees
03-06-2016, 11:19 AM
So I made up a couple of little jumper wires and pulled my switch out,then put the wires in and plugged it in.. So that kicked the breaker. I think that I connected the wires wrong. Am going to look for the manual for this saw (steel city 18 inch) to see if there is a wiring diagram.

Mike Kees
03-06-2016, 4:31 PM
OK finally took a look at what I was doing and got my wires sorted out saw runs fine, I need a new switch. Does anyone have a source for a good quality ,dust proof push button switch ?

Erik Manchester
03-06-2016, 6:51 PM
Mike,

might be be helpful to let folks know what size motor you are running, what voltage, and whether the motor has overloads built in or whether the starter will require these.

Have you you given the starter a good cleaning, particularly the contacts? Is it a mag starter on there now, or just a simple contact switch?

Lots of options out there, new or vintage.

Mike Kees
03-07-2016, 9:27 AM
The motor is 2 h.p.,230 volt and there is a reset button right above the switch on the bandsaw. The switch that was on it was just a simple contact paddle type. I would like to replace it with a better quality dust proof switch. Sorry for not being more specific to begin with.

Erik Manchester
03-07-2016, 10:56 AM
Mike,

Since you have an overload built into the motor you don't need a magnetic starter, just a proper motor starter switch rated for the FLA of your motor is all that is required. When I replaced my bandsaw motor I just picked up switch at the electrical wholesaler in town. I did not want a paddle type On Off switch so I got a rotary switch rated up to 5 HP, was not all that expensive. I am not at home and don't have a picture available.

Mike Kees
03-07-2016, 12:56 PM
Thanks for your help Erik , I play hockey with one of your fellow islanders. He was just telling us that he was almost never lost on P.E.I. but still struggles on the wide open prairie here in southern Alberta.

Erik Manchester
03-07-2016, 9:48 PM
Your welcome Mike, I spent four years in AB and have flown helicopters all over the province, sure is big compared to PEI.

Mike Kees
03-08-2016, 2:40 PM
Thanks for the help Erik. Good to see another Canadian here on the forum.

Mike Kees
03-15-2016, 7:37 PM
So I got a new switch installed on my saw. Everything works.

Erik Manchester
03-15-2016, 9:33 PM
Very good Mike, glad that all worked out.

Johanna Johanson
04-07-2016, 6:01 PM
I just had to replace the switch on my Steel City bandsaw.
I ordered a Woodstock D4159 220-Volt Paddle switch from Amazon. It is exactly the same switch as the original.

It has been working just fine, but today I am having a problem with the reset switch on the motor being tripped - it's always something!