PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic Jointer Issues

jamie mack
03-04-2016, 7:20 PM
We're setting up a Powermatic 55h 6" jointer and have a quick question. The infeed and outfeed tables are parallel if raised to their max heights. When you lower the infeed table relative to the outfeed table, they are no longer parallel, and this gets worse if you move from 1/16" to 1/4" below the outfeed table.

Now based on my measurement the infeed is out of parallel by 0.015". So there are two questions -

1. Is 0.015 acceptable?

2. If not, how do we fix it?

Been dealing with this for a week and have gone so far as to have an authorized rep out to take a look and he agreed that there was an issue, but didn't have any suggestions.

Any thoughts on this?

Kevin Jenness
03-04-2016, 9:12 PM
1. Maybe. Does the machine produce straight joints at various cut depths? If so, then no problem. Perhaps your measurement methods are imprecise. If the results vary with cut depth, that is unacceptable. Presuming your assessment is correct, I would expect poor results except at a very small cut depth. What instruments are you using to get these measurements?

2.Depends. Is this a machine with inclined dovetail ways like the PM54H? If so, have you tried adjusting the gibs or shimming the dovetail ways on the outfeed table? Those are the normal fixes. If the gibs are snug and the table alignment really is changing with cut depth as you describe I can only surmise that the infeed table ways are curved. If that is the case I don't think there is any practical fix. Is the machine under warranty?

jamie mack
03-04-2016, 10:06 PM
we cut a piece of wood that was not flat we used a machinist 60inch straight edge I have a friend who is a retired tool maker and feeler gauges. with the out field table set at the same height as the blade and the in feed table all the way up and parallel to the out feed table, every thing looks good. However when I lower the in feed table about a sixteenth lower the far end of the infeed table is about 15 thousands of an inch out and gets worse as you lower it.
I called Powermatic and they sent out a Tech who agreed with our measurements within 2 thousands but said he could not fix it.
I do not understand how to keep it paralell at top height and move to a lower height and adjust and keep it parallel overall.
What is a normal tollerence for parellel?

Kevin Jenness
03-04-2016, 10:50 PM
It sounds like your assessment method is good. The discrepancy is hard to understand if the ways are correctly machined and adjusted. I don't know what Powermatic's accepted tolerance is, but that is very poor in my opinion. If the machine is under warranty and cannot be adjusted to do what it is designed to do you should get it replaced.

Does this jointer have inclined dovetail ways or are the tables adjusted with eccentric bushings?

jamie mack
03-04-2016, 11:26 PM
It sounds like your assessment method is good. The discrepancy is hard to understand if the ways are correctly machined and adjusted. I don't know what Powermatic's accepted tolerance is, but that is very poor in my opinion. If the machine is under warranty and cannot be adjusted to do what it is designed to do you should get it replaced.

Does this jointer have inclined dovetail ways or are the tables adjusted with eccentric bushings?

The Machine is brand new. I do not know how the tables are adjusted I only have an owners manual.
If the table sagged down at the end of the infeed table I would be less concerned than it being up at the end of the table.
Powermatic sent a tech out who did not help but agreed with our assessment.
Perhaps I should drive to Tenenese,find the office of the president of the company, write a very concise, accurate and detailed assessment of the problem, tie it to a brick and throw it through his window.
Maybe it is getting late.

Mel Fulks
03-04-2016, 11:52 PM
Sounds like you were wise enough not to try to mess with adjusting the mechanism of a new machine. The tables definately should not be getting out of parallel by moving up or down; final adjustment of either table should always be made moving up to remove any play. My interpretation of the situation is the machine is defective ,not out of adjustment,and the representative is afraid to tell you that for fear of losing his job. I would not settle for less than fix done entirely by them or a new defect free machine.