PDA

View Full Version : Setting up exhaust on new boss 1630

Keith Downing
03-04-2016, 2:38 PM
After a few weeks of unpacking and setting up the shop space, I'm FINALLY getting to the final stages of setting up my new boss laser.

I've spoken to them a couple times on the phone but given that they sent me the wrong size exhaust tubing, it stalled things pretty fast.

I just ordered my own 6" exhaust tubing and have it hooked up to the blower they included and running a few feet outside the shop.

My main question is, I'm getting a decent amount of air blowing at the end of the exhaust hose outside, but I can barely feel any sucking through the laser above or below the table. Or at least a lot less than I thought. Is this normal? Or is there usually a noticeable "sucking" of air above the table inside the laser?

Second, the blower included only had one 6" nozzle on both sides (input and output). And no y connection for the 2 exhaust ports coming out of the laser. I made a somewhat educated guess that I would be able to get basically the same result as far as air flow if I used two 4" hoses coming off the back of the laser (one for the upper and one for the lower exhaust port) and a single large 6" exhaust going outside. I thought this would avoid any potential bottlenecks and make sure I got good pressure on BOTH the top and bottom exhaust ports on the laser. Now I'm questioning my logic based on my results. Has anyone else tried this setup.

Thoughts?

Nick young
03-04-2016, 3:52 PM
They should have sent you a giant t shaped connector that bolts onto the back of the machine on the bottom port. Then the short tubing goes from the top port and attaches to the top of the t. From there you can run the other tubing to the blower.

I actually didn't use any of that and instead went to the hardware store and bought a y adapter and a 90 degree adapter to use instead because of how I ran the exhaust. I also used metal duct work as well since it allows the air to flow better.

The distance to blower, amount of turns, and if your using the corrugated tubing will effect the suction.

Once I changed to metal duct work and have only about maybe five foot of it to the fan I noticed a huge improvement in suction. It's strong enough it will move the removable panel on the front.

Keith Downing
03-04-2016, 4:15 PM
Thanks nick, I think I'm just going to wait until I can get it right.

Overall Boss has been great, not trying to slam them at all. My one complaint is that the manual they sent doesn't include a diagram for setup of the exhaust and chiller. I think because it is meant to serve as the manual for several models.

I've tried to find a picture of a correctly setup machine from the back and I just can't.

Anyone have a similar setup done "correctly"?

Keith Downing
03-04-2016, 4:20 PM
Also @Nick, did your machine come with 4" tubing for something else? I'm trying to figure out if they left out the 6" tubing, or put in 4" tubing instead of 6".

Nick young
03-04-2016, 4:56 PM
It was 6" tubing one that is maybe two foot and two that are about four or five feet long.
The lower end model uses 4" so they probably just threw the wrong tubing in by mistake.
The t adapter that they send with it runs the tubing straight back from the machine. I needed mine to turn left since my exterior wall is to the left of the machine and not behind it so I only used their setup for about a day just to test it all out.

And yeah the manual doesn't really help setting up the exhaust or chiller. If they had sent you the proper pieces it's pretty simple to figure out. It would be kind of difficult without the right stuff though. :)

Keith Downing
03-04-2016, 5:07 PM
Thanks man, one more question if you're still around.

On the water chiller, I have the cw-3000. I have filled it, connected everything (outlet to water inlet, and water out to inlet) and when I turn it on I get the alarm. Is this because the laser is off; I haven't turned it on yet. Or is there potentially a problem with the chiller or the setup?

Should NOT have started this project on a friday afternoon as there is no one left at boss since they're on the east coast.

Keith Winter
03-04-2016, 5:22 PM
Hi Keith,

A photo of the laser where those two ports are would help. I'm am guessing since I've never seen one before, but the top port is probably for if you are using pass through. It might fight the bottom exhaust depending on the placement of the port.

Is smoke lingering?

After a few weeks of unpacking and setting up the shop space, I'm FINALLY getting to the final stages of setting up my new boss laser.

I've spoken to them a couple times on the phone but given that they sent me the wrong size exhaust tubing, it stalled things pretty fast.

I just ordered my own 6" exhaust tubing and have it hooked up to the blower they included and running a few feet outside the shop.

My main question is, I'm getting a decent amount of air blowing at the end of the exhaust hose outside, but I can barely feel any sucking through the laser above or below the table. Or at least a lot less than I thought. Is this normal? Or is there usually a noticeable "sucking" of air above the table inside the laser?

Second, the blower included only had one 6" nozzle on both sides (input and output). And no y connection for the 2 exhaust ports coming out of the laser. I made a somewhat educated guess that I would be able to get basically the same result as far as air flow if I used two 4" hoses coming off the back of the laser (one for the upper and one for the lower exhaust port) and a single large 6" exhaust going outside. I thought this would avoid any potential bottlenecks and make sure I got good pressure on BOTH the top and bottom exhaust ports on the laser. Now I'm questioning my logic based on my results. Has anyone else tried this setup.

Thoughts?

Nick young
03-04-2016, 6:01 PM
When you turn it on it should sound the alarm for a few seconds to verify it works then it should stop screaming at you.

Keith Downing
03-04-2016, 6:04 PM
Yeah, the chiller beeps endlessly and water is not flowing. The front screen flashes a dash, two numbers and goes off repeatedly.

I'm starting to think its DOA. I took the cover off and the pump isn't firing. No accessible wiring to test to see if it's the pump, power supply, or something else. But I'm getting no water. Even tried forcing water though to make sure there wasn't a blockage or the pump wasn't dry, but water circulated no problem when powered with my lungs.

Ron Klein
03-04-2016, 9:41 PM
Mine did the same thing at first and it was stupid me. I had the inlet and outlet tubes backward. Reverse them and it will be good to go.

Ron KLein
Juneau Alaska

100 watt Boss 1630

Keith Downing
03-04-2016, 10:48 PM
I thought that might be it, but even if I just plug the water inlet on the cw3000 directly from the outlet with 1 hose (no laser involved) it still beeps, flashes the weird numbers and pumps nothing.

Took the cover off and can't see anything wrong, but the pump definitely isn't coming on at all.

Bill George
03-05-2016, 3:30 PM
You don't have a home improvement store like Home Depot that sells metal ductwork and metal flexible dryer vent pipe? Sounds like you need to find the instruction manual for the CW3000 chiller. A quick Google shows this is a non-refrigerated chiller?? The pump just circulates water through some coils with a fan blowing over the coils. Plenty of info online including manual and wiring diagram.

Here is one post from CNC Zone http://www.cnczone.com/forums/general-laser-engraving-cutting-machine-discussion/188682-water-chiller-cw-3000-beeping.html

Keith Downing
03-06-2016, 2:35 PM
Ok, the exhaust I have worked out. There was indeed a T connection in the back of the bottom compartment of the laser that I never found when initially unpacking.

The chiller on the other hand, I think is a dud. Bill, I had also found that thread on cnc. BUt it appears the problems with theirs that they trouble shooted involved reversed hoses and a clogged coil. I don't believe mine has either.

It just beeps endlessly and flashes two numbers and a dash over and over. Can't tell if it's an error code, or total malfunction.
Here's a quick video I uploaded: http://www.sohoaustin.com/temp/cw3000.mp4

Bill George
03-08-2016, 8:56 AM
The display is a temperature read out from what I can tell. The unit is a pump, a fan and temperature gauge and alarm. Not much going on, not a refrigerated chiller or even a chiller. I would get them to replace, but if you have to pay for return shipping not really worth it.

Matt McCoy
03-08-2016, 10:57 AM
Is the CW-3000's sensor connected to the laser?

It looks like the unit is malfunctioning.

Keith Downing
03-08-2016, 12:30 PM
It's a bad unit. Confirmed by Boss and surprisingly the Chinese supplier responded to my email the very next day.

Boss is sending me a new chiller. And they don't want the old one back so I'm going to take S&A up on their gracious offer to send me a new pump and power supply. Hopefully I can get this one working down the road and if not I'll have a supply of free parts for my trouble.

Bill George
03-08-2016, 1:07 PM
Wow, I am impressed. Sounds like Boss is a good company to deal with.

Keith Downing
03-08-2016, 1:19 PM
Wow, I am impressed. Sounds like Boss is a good company to deal with.

There have been a few small bumps along the way (mostly not their fault), but yes I will give them credit. They are bending over backwards to make sure things work out in my favor at the end of the day. I would certainly order from them again.