PDA

View Full Version : 1st Issue of Mortise & Tenon Magazine

Dave Anderson NH
03-04-2016, 9:34 AM
I received the first issue of Mortise & Tenon Magazine from Lee Valley yesterday. I am favorably impressed and read about half of it last night. It is not a publication for everyone though. It is entirely devoted to those of us who are interested in hand tool work, period furniture, and the intersection of scholarship and conservation with traditional pre-industrial woodworking. If I had to compare it to other publications they would be the annual SAPFM Journal, the SAPFM on-line newsletter, and the Chipstone Foundation's annual publication American Furniture. Of note to us here, there is a nice book review by our own Zach Dillinger.

If you are interested in period furniture, hand tool work, and furniture history and conservation, I highly recommend getting a copy and finding out for yourself. I am excited to hope that future issues live up to a great start.

Of particular interest was an interview with Charles Hummel that announced an updated, expanded, and revised edition of his book With Hammer in Hand which will be out some time this year. It is the story of the Dominy family of Long Island and their restored workshop which is at Winterthur. This book has been out of print for over 40 years and I can't wait to get a copy since there is a huge amount of new information about their clocks and furniture.

Will Boulware
03-04-2016, 10:02 AM
I don't have anything to say that is so elegant and well sorted as Dave's post, but I also received my copy of this publication and would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in woodworking of any variant. Plenty to learn from these articles even if you build bird houses on a CNC, but as Dave said, it's 100% geared towards period work with hand tools. The pictures are incredible and the writing is top notch as well. I'm really enjoying it!

Barry Dima
03-04-2016, 10:13 AM
+1 to that, Dave, and I'm pretty wholly a neophyte to everything hand tools, let alone lofty things like conservation and period furniture.

As a beginner (albeit one with a strong academic bent), I really find M&T to be totally worth the money. It has many heartening sentiments, not least of which is the regularly drummed you're not a machine, so aiming for machine-like S4S is likely silly—not a unique thought, but still reassurance I regularly need. Another (totally not unique) sentiment is that this hand tool woodworkery thing isn't arcane magic. Joshua Klein's explanation of recreating a period piece is kinda fun, and reading how related scholarship has adapted and expanded is surprisingly engaging. Plus, since I live five minutes from Winterthur, M&T hits home.

In other words, if you're a beginner, like me, don't shy away from the periodical. Considering its focused-but-wide scope, M&T is bound to have something for you.

Shawn Pixley
03-04-2016, 11:03 AM
I am waiting for my copy to show up.

Zach Dillinger
03-04-2016, 11:18 AM
It's worth the wait. Simply outstanding, and I predict Issue 2 will be even better :)

Chris Parks
03-04-2016, 8:31 PM
I see it is available online as a download. I am very tempted but the physical item does sound like it is worth having even if I have to pay international shipping. I haven't bought a physical book or mag for years.

Patrick McCarthy
03-05-2016, 1:24 AM
Chris, I might be mistaken, but I thought Henry Eckert down your way was carrying them.

Chris Parks
03-05-2016, 1:45 AM
Thanks for the heads up Patrick, $39AUD from several stockists here in Oz. I thought it was an in house publication of LV.

Kees Heiden
03-05-2016, 4:28 AM
I see it is available online as a download. I am very tempted but the physical item does sound like it is worth having even if I have to pay international shipping. I haven't bought a physical book or mag for years.

Download? Where, where?

Nicholas Lawrence
03-05-2016, 6:56 AM
A link would be helpful. Are we talking about this? If so, they indicate there is no digital version.

http://mortiseandtenonmag.com/pages/about-us

Chris Parks
03-05-2016, 8:26 AM
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=73818&cat=51&ap=1

Hover over the green tick next to the yellow cart and it says online available.

Nicholas Lawrence
03-05-2016, 8:59 AM
I think that just means you can order a copy online (as opposed to going to a retail store and picking it up in person). The same symbols shows up next to their hand tools.

Kees Heiden
03-05-2016, 11:04 AM
I've always wanted a digital LV plane!

I'm really sitting on the fence with this magazine. I like the working methods and tools of preindustrial times, but I don't typically like 18th century furniture.

Nicholas Lawrence
03-05-2016, 11:50 AM
I've always wanted a digital LV plane!

That made me laugh. Seriously though, if anybody has been able to find a download, please speak up. I would prefer that if it is an option.

Randy Karst
03-05-2016, 12:16 PM
My copy arrived as well; I got a chuckle seeing the included wood shavings-nice and creative touch. The magazine is quite nice, high quality and clearly much time, energy and thought (along with a lot of heart and soul) went into this magazine. Articles have more depth than a typical FW or PWW magazine. I would consider this a "coffee table" magazine, though that is not its editors intention. Highly recommended for any woodworker who appreciates quality.

Ron Bontz
03-05-2016, 4:20 PM
Thanks for posting. Ordered my copy. :)

Don Slaughter
03-05-2016, 9:00 PM
Thanks for the thread, Dave. I'm just less than half way through the magazine....I don't open it until the time is opportune for me to devote uninterrupted attention to it.....and I am very favorably impressed. Mr Klein has sparked my interest with his stroke of genius in initiating the arena for shared growth and inspiration at a time when the resurgence of hand crafts is waxing. Rather than trying to find something to compare this work to, I imagine conjunctive works between this author and several others who have emerged in recent years. Using the bio-interview of Phil Lowe to punctuate and define his (Klein's) targeted subject of maker/conservator conversation is very effective. I think this work might surprise even the author with what it contributes to the average woodworker. The Schwarz's newest book The Anarchist Design Book is due to my door soon and, I believe, it will bear witness to some truths Mr Klein exposes. We'll SEE
GREAT READ SO FAR

Ken Fitzgerald
03-05-2016, 10:35 PM
Dave,

Thanks for the heads up! I will order a copy.

roger wiegand
03-07-2016, 4:30 PM
Well worth obtaining and spending some time with. A little on the precious side, but much to be learned, thought about and enjoyed. A welcome change from the endless 8 page long repetitions of how to do some simple task in the other leading WW magazines.

I do think that a digital edition would be rather antithetical to their objectives! (I'm surprised it's not printed using a 1790 press on hand-made paper!)

Izzy Camire
03-08-2016, 2:42 PM
Dave, thanks for posting this it looks very interesting. I ordered one.

Shawn Pixley
03-15-2016, 2:32 PM
Finally got my copy. DHL had issues and couldn't track the package. It ended up showing up by USPS with the wrapper torn up. The magazine is fine however. I especially liked the detailed photos of the historic construction. The articles on preservation were also quite good.

Thanks to Zach Dillinger for his contribution!

Randy Karst
03-15-2016, 6:15 PM
Finally got my copy. DHL had issues and couldn't track the package. It ended up showing up by USPS with the wrapper torn up. The magazine is fine however. I especially liked the detailed photos of the historic construction. The articles on preservation were also quite good.

Thanks to Zach Dillinger for his contribution!

Shawn, apparently lightening does strike twice as that was my same experience; a West Coast phenomenon?

Randy

Glen Canaday
03-16-2016, 1:25 PM
Mine hasn't arrived yet. I preordered and Josh says there were issues getting it out.

Brian Loran
03-16-2016, 2:39 PM
I'm in the same boat. Paid for it in December, still have not received it :(

Javed Akhtar
03-16-2016, 6:09 PM
Got mine just last night (I'm on the west coast of Canada). I'm under the gun to get a commission piece finished up for a client, but hopefully I'll get some quality reading time this weekend. From what I've flipped through so far, it looks beautiful and well-written.

Glen Canaday
03-16-2016, 10:25 PM
I'm almost afraid he will run out of copies before it ships.

Brian Loran
03-17-2016, 11:08 AM
Yeah, me too! I am also very disturbed that people ordering the mag today will probably get it before some of the people who pre-ordered it 2 months ago (and were charged). That isn't right. His blog is already saying he is running out and will need to order a second batch which will put it another couple months away. If I do not receive it by next Tuesday (2 weeks after he told me one would be sent out ASAP) I am going to try and get my money back :(

Glen Canaday
03-21-2016, 7:37 PM
Woohoo! Mine arrived today! I was almost afraid to open the packaging. It is too nice, with the sealimg wax and such.

Brian Loran
03-22-2016, 10:50 AM
That is great Glen. Mine arrived yesterday as well. Looks like they may be over the hump. I hope they have smooth sailing from here.

Glen Canaday
03-22-2016, 10:58 AM
Here's to hoping. With this year's experience, next year's delivery should be much more streamlined.

Gorgeous magazine, to say the least.