PDA

View Full Version : Ron Bontz Gent's Saw Handle

Jim Koepke
03-04-2016, 1:00 AM
Ron had a post on his new Gent's saw handles recently. He sent me one to test drive.

The handle is very well made and has a very nice finish. Wish I could do lathe work this fine.

Possibly the first saw I purchased was labeled as a dovetail saw, but it is more likely a Gent's saw. My recollection back in the 1980s is it cost about $10. It was never a very comfortable saw to use. My father gave me an old back saw of his. It became my main joinery. The Gent's/Dovetail saw then pretty much stayed on the shelf.

This is the old saw & handle next to the new handle:

Some test cuts were made to get a feel for the saw before changing the handle.

The original handle is a bit short to for a comfortable grip.

Ron's handle is a touch longer:

I think it would be more comfortable for me if the bead my thumb is on were moved up and joined with the flare/bead. This would eliminate the cove and may lessen the overall aesthetic beauty of the handle.

A different grip was tried and seemed to be working well. It could be my sense of feel in my hand. The saw almost feels like it isn't there. Maybe more use will make me develop a comfort zone for the Gent's saw style.

This saw will likely get a bit more use in the future since the handle does make it a bit more comfortable. Suppose if I get one of those magic round tuits I could turn a handle more to my liking. For me it seems making handles for other folks hands would be a difficult endeavor. I think just about every other saw handle in my shop has been treated to a bit of work with a rasp and sand paper. Sometimes even a gouge is used to remove wood.

I pulled out one of my chisel handles and compared it to the saw handle. Sometimes comfort is measured in differences of 1/8".

Thanks Ron for letting me give this a test drive. If you ever need another test rat, count me in. :D

jtk

Pat Barry
03-04-2016, 8:01 AM
Good review Jim. I did find it interesting in pictures 2 and 3 that you had both your thumb and forefinger pointing down the line. This seems like a pretty weak / control lacking position. I think either having one or the other pointing down the line, for example, how you are using the tool in picture 4 or conversely with your thumb wrapped and index finger pointing down the line would be better positions. No doubt the handle is a personal thing however. Take Trump with his little hands - he might like your old gents saw handle :)

Chris Hachet
03-04-2016, 8:14 AM
Thanks for the review.

Jim Koepke
03-04-2016, 11:04 AM
I did find it interesting in pictures 2 and 3 that you had both your thumb and forefinger pointing down the line. This seems like a pretty weak / control lacking position.

That has more to do with my thumb than anything else. The crease of flesh between my thumb and palm isn't so much my fat hand as it is a scar from an old injury. Moving my thumb in different ways can be painful. It is the reason I make my own handles for most of my chisels.

he might like your old gents saw handle

No, that one goes in the box for the next time a medium size file needs a handle.

jtk

Ron Bontz
03-05-2016, 12:08 AM
Notes taken. Thank you for your thoughts. Best wishes.
Ron

Patrick Chase
03-05-2016, 12:40 PM
Take Trump with his little hands - he might like your old gents saw handle :)

Don't. Just....don't. Please.