PDA

View Full Version : Something like the "Wireless lightswitch post" but LOML driven

Don Morris
03-03-2016, 11:48 PM
I have a basement shop. When I have the overhead dust filter, 1100CFM Jet dust collector, router (hooked up to my rigid shopvac/dust deputy) all going and I have my hearing protection on, my LOML complains she has no way to signal me from the main (2nd) floor. She has to come down to the basement and pound on the door to the shop. I'm sure some of you have heard this complaint before. Is there a system with flashing red bulb or other device that can be started/stopped remotely by the push of a button or flip of a switch anyone has tried and is happy? I have WiFi throughout the house if that would be helpful. Thanks for any input.

Don M

Lee Schierer
03-04-2016, 7:51 AM
Install a 3 way switch for one of the overhead lights at the top of the stairs. When someone needs you, flip the switch off and then back on quickly and you will know they want your attention.

glenn bradley
03-04-2016, 8:27 AM
Number 1. - No one bothers me while I am operating power tools. Since they care about my safety they wait till I turn them off, then knock. (you may get varied results to this sensible request :D)

Number 2. Lee's idea is great.
Number 3. Check for products for the hearing impaired; wireless doorbell buttons that flash lights, flashing platforms that react to your cell phone's vibrations, etc.

Dan Hunkele
03-04-2016, 9:02 AM
Google 110V strobe light and choose which color you want. Get a Holiday remote switch to plug into and give her the remote.

Yonak Hawkins
03-04-2016, 9:42 AM
...wireless doorbell buttons that flash lights....

I have tried this method but when I'm sitting at the band saw with my head down and headphones on I can't see or hear the signal. Having a beacon at each station is untenable. My most reliable method now is the cell phone but I can't hook that up to my front door bell. This is, indeed, a challenge.

Brian Hale
03-04-2016, 9:50 AM
My wife will text or call me and my phone will vibrate and ring. Now that my shop is in a separate building it's even more convenient and it's always good to have some form of communication in case something awry.

Brian :)

Roger Feeley
03-04-2016, 2:05 PM
+1 on the light switch. When I'm making a cut or something, it's just not safe for her to get my attention with some sort of noise. Flipping a light on and off somewhere is the best.