PDA

View Full Version : Scroll Saw Blades

Don Baer
09-13-2005, 2:12 PM
I have been using my new/old scroll saw for a little while http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=23150 and find I need some longer blades. I need to make some small curved pieces for an old maple desk that my son is restoring and need to cut some 3/4" pieces and the standard 5" baldes will only allow me to cut (just barley) 1/2" thick. I don't have my band saw yet so I was hoping to use the scroll saw. It will take blades from 5" to 8" so if I can get some longer blades I should be able to get this project don't. Any sources for 7" or 8" Blades ?

Thanks

Michael Ballent
09-13-2005, 2:31 PM
Check with Mike at Flying Dutchman... He has a huge selection of blades for just about any type of cutting that you need and the prices are very good... especially if you decide to buy them by the gross ;) He will even send you a couple a samples for free to check them out to make sure you are ordering what you want :D

No affiliation, just a happy customer.

http://www.mikesworkshop.com/blades.htm will get you to his page.

Don Frambach
09-13-2005, 4:12 PM
I am not a scroll saw expert and cannot directly answer your question. However, I can say that Mike is a real nice and helpful guy. If you can't find what you want on his web site, I suggest that you call him or send him an email.

Don Baer
09-13-2005, 4:22 PM
He didn't show any longer then 5" so I sent him an E Mail.

Thanks

Don Baer
09-13-2005, 8:39 PM
I solved my problem. I took a copeing saw blade and ground off the little pigs on each end. Now I have a 2 1/2" cut capacity, not that I'll ever use it Figured I'd post this incase someone in the future ever want to do this.

:D

I only did this after exhausting all other sources. It seems that 5" blades are all that are available any more. I just did a test piece in a piece of 3/4 Oak and also a little in some 8/4 Maple. I think I'll need to pick up some course blades for the 2" stuff and speed up the saw but it works great. Now if I can just get my sons stuff out of the Garage/Shop I'll be able to set up the Band saw and I'll have a re-saw capability..