PDA

View Full Version : Need help!!!!!

Terry Wade
03-03-2016, 2:51 PM
I've been having some trouble with the x-axis drive stepper motor and I don't know what to do about it. The drive will work sometimes and not others. I found a posting on you tube that shows how to test the stepper motor using a LED bulb and when I perform that test it shows the motor to be good. When I turn the machine on, sometimes I can push the direction buttons and the y-axis moves but the x-axis doesn't always move, however I noticed that the readout on the machine will show that the x-axis is moving but the gantry is not moving. This is the second time I have had this issue with the same drive, the last time I replaced the motor and I thought everything was good and it was for about 6-7 months. I still have the original motor and when I ran the test on it with the LED bulb it shows to be good also. Should I get a third stepper motor or is there something else going on? What do you guys think? I'm about out of ideas at the moment.

Thanks, Terry Wade

Nick Michalares
03-03-2016, 5:04 PM
=The drive will work sometimes and not others. =

Thanks, Terry Wade

Probably a wiring issue. Do a continuity test on the wires going to the motor. Sometimes you can wiggle the wires and make it come and go which will narrow it down.

Mike Clarke
03-03-2016, 9:10 PM
Swap the X & Y motors and see if it replicates, provided motors are the same.

Kev Williams
03-03-2016, 10:23 PM
I've been having a rash of 'connection' problems lately, and not just with work stuff- Z-axis plug on my 3400 cylinder machine has a bad plug connector, the GCC had one awhile back, not sure which one but cleaning and reseating EVERYTHING fixed it! Even my boat, the trim pump motor had a loose connector that I needed to squeeze down with some needle-nose...

SO, if the stepper connects via a plug, look the MACHINE side plug, could be one of the wires isn't seated within the connector good. Also, find where the connections are on the X control board and check them...

Terry Wade
03-04-2016, 10:33 AM
I have checked and cleaned connections as well as used the meter to check for continuity and I found no problems, that is why I'm at wits end. It is my understanding that the motor works via 2 magnetic fields and I see that when I tested the each side with the LED bulb, but I is there a way to measure the strength of the field and what should it be? Or should I just go ahead and get another new stepper motor?

Bill George
03-04-2016, 11:44 AM
I have checked and cleaned connections as well as used the meter to check for continuity and I found no problems, that is why I'm at wits end. It is my understanding that the motor works via 2 magnetic fields and I see that when I tested the each side with the LED bulb, but I is there a way to measure the strength of the field and what should it be? Or should I just go ahead and get another new stepper motor?
If you have a bad bearing or something (dirt / cutting debris ) in or on the rail that stalls the motor that can cause problems also. Its a stepper motor and if stalled for some reason the software doesn't know what is going on. Did you also check the screw connections on the controllers and circuit boards? My other laser, the Chinese one had several loose terminal connections.