PDA

View Full Version : Sanborn 60 gal AC

Rick Johnston
03-03-2016, 11:56 AM
I have an oil less 30 gal.
Menards has it on sale for $400. Tried to wedge them down on the display model and they showed me were their cost was $419.
It's not the best and for my limited use of blowing out sprinkler lines and a palm sander seems like a good deal.
Looks like Husky, Dewalt and a couple of others are all clones.
Seems it takes another 200-300 to buy upgrade manufacturer.
Dont need two stage and with my limited use a cooler either.
I'd pipe the 60 and the 30 together to increase capacity and cut dn the noise.

I might spray some water based dye and "maybe" dabble with spraying a finish.
Comments ?

Joe Jensen
03-03-2016, 2:06 PM
Gallon size of the tank is not super relevant to performance. The tank is there so reduce the number of times the motor starts and stops. A 60 gallon tank only holds 8 cu ft or so. You want to look at CFM delivered and at what pressure. It would a spec like 4.5CFM at 90PSI. Spraying is done a low pressure, like 30psi or so and requires maybe 2-3 CFM. Most compressors can handle that.

Brad Shipton
03-03-2016, 3:23 PM
Check out the specs for the sander. They usually require around 14cfm or more. That 60gal will run quite a lot if you do much sanding. HVLP require very little air flow and that is a pretty common spray gun.

Jim Becker
03-03-2016, 5:19 PM
Joe mentions a very important point...air capacity (CFM) for the unit and at what pressure is important to know so you can judge if it's capable of powering the tools and processes you wish to do. For spraying, you'll not likely have an issue. But air sanders tend to be hard to accommodate by lower end compressor systems typical to home shops. They require a LOT of air.