PDA

View Full Version : Tool Chest

ken hatch
03-02-2016, 7:33 PM
The boss aka sweetie pie, light of my life, and even more important SWMBO has been on my case to make a tool chest and small work bench to carry when we go RVing. She has noticed after a couple of days of sitting in an RV park I'm ready to be back in the shop. There is only so much beer, whisky and tacos a man can enjoy at one time. Usually it is a couple or three days for me. Anyway that is the back story.

Today I had a couple of spare minutes and used them to prep some cypress for the tool chest. It is rough dimensioned and stickered. I'll give the wood a couple of days to settle and then cut to final dimensions and clean up any stupid wood tricks.

The outside of the chest will be approximately 600mm X 900mm X 600mm. Here is a photo of the stickered wood. If you squint you might be able to see a tool chest or maybe not.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/toolChestStickeredWood160302_zpsqixw1nmf.jpg

ken

Jim Koepke
03-02-2016, 7:37 PM
The outside of the chest will be approximately 600mm X 9000mm X 600mm.

Dang! That sucker would hang out the door of my shop!

jtk

Tony Wilkins
03-02-2016, 8:04 PM
Dang! That sucker would hang out the door of my shop!

jtk

He just wants lots of room to fill with tools - though I suspect he could fit a table saw in it.

Pat Barry
03-02-2016, 8:11 PM
The boss aka sweetie pie, light of my life, and even more important SWMBO has been on my case to make a tool chest and small work bench to carry when we go RVing. She has noticed after a couple of days of sitting in an RV park I'm ready to be back in the shop. There is only so much beer, whisky and tacos a man can enjoy at one time. Usually it is a couple or three days for me. Anyway that is the back story.

The outside of the chest will be approximately 600mm X 9000mm X 600mm. Here is a photo of the stickered wood. If you squint you might be able to see a tool chest or maybe not.
ken
Sorry Ken, your story doesn't make sense. You need to ask yourself why she wants you to keep busy with these projects. Also, what gives with the metric bs? Your profile says you are in AZ. I assume that means Arizona, USA. We don't talk like that here. LOL

Stew Denton
03-02-2016, 8:36 PM
Hi Ken,

600mm by 9000mm by 600mm is about 24 inches by 29 1/2 feet by 24 inches. On the other hand, if the length is supposed to be 900mm, then the length is a little over 35 inches.

I know you probably have a lot of tools, but I would go with the 35+ INCH length. (Just kidding)

What are you going to do for a bench....take the horses that the lumber is standing on, and a plank or two?

Stew

Archie England
03-02-2016, 8:41 PM
Regardless of the width (30' or 35"), could I get your wife to talk to mine! That's just so unfair!!!!

Have fun!

ken hatch
03-02-2016, 8:57 PM
ROTFLMAO.....You guys have sharp eyes. Yep it should have been 900mm:-).

BTW, fixed.

Plans are for a small English style bench much like the one the Naked Woodworker built.

ken

Pete Hotard
03-02-2016, 9:15 PM
Its always better to tell your wife larger dimensions if she ever asks.....I've got my wife thinking a Post-it-note is 8" wide.....:)

Brian Holcombe
03-02-2016, 10:29 PM
Awesome! Looking forward to this build and the subsequent workbench build!

ken hatch
03-06-2016, 5:57 PM
Thanks Brian,

The Cypress has set for a couple or three days and is still reasonably straight and I have several hours before putting on the monkey suit for work. Might as well get a panel glued up. First task is to decide how the boards will fit, taking grain direction, and reference side into consideration and to mark out the panel. The task is easier for these panel because they will be painted so no need to include figure in the decision.

Here is the first panel marked out with a furniture maker's triangle, face mark, lines across the joint line to help aline the panels while prepping the glue surfaces, a ">" to show expected grain direction, and a "A" to indicate panel position in the box:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/toolChestPrepingPanelForGlueUp160306_zpszdm8nxfr.j pg

After marking out the panel I put pairs of the boards in the vise to true their glue edges. The first step is to create a shallow hollow in the middle of the glue edges:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/toolChestPrepingGlueEdgeMakingHollow160306_zpsciym cp7j.jpg

Then come back and take full length shavings and checking for square:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/toolChestTrueGlueEdge160306_zpsqgodpxpb.jpg

Glue pot warming up the liquid hide glue. The liquid will give a little longer open time vs. hot hide glue:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/toolChestGluePot160306_zpsezzxl0ac.jpg

Glued and cooking, just three more panels to go before a sawing and chopping a bunch of dovetails:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/toolChestEndPanelGlueUp160306_zpsi989fbmo.jpg

Time for the monkey suit and 6+ hours sitting in a dark box,

ken

Brian Holcombe
03-06-2016, 6:32 PM
How are you liking cypress? I enjoyed working with it, personally, on the past two projects. Enough so that I have planned some softwood architectural projects soonish.

Stew Denton
03-07-2016, 12:02 AM
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the note about the knock down bench from the Naked Woodworker. I looked at it, and it looks great. Good choice on the bench.

Stew

ken hatch
03-07-2016, 9:47 AM
Brian,

This is my first time using. I couldn't find Eastern Pine so looking around at what was available and seeing your Japanese tool box build made me give Cypress a second look. It should be a good tool box wood, reasonably light and strong, rot resistance, and seems to be easy to work. It saws and planes nicely, more once I chop some dovetail sockets. That said, like you, I can see some other projects for Cypress in the future.

ken

ken hatch
03-07-2016, 9:51 AM
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the note about the knock down bench from the Naked Woodworker. I looked at it, and it looks great. Good choice on the bench.

Stew

Stew,

For what I want it should work well, the only real question is: do I use one of my smaller English QR vises on it or just go with holdfasts and battens. I expect it will end up with a vise.

ken

george wilson
03-07-2016, 9:53 AM
Be careful about what you might use to finish cypress(if you apply a finish). Paint does not adhere well to it. I made a large "parcels" box out of cypress years ago. The cypress outlasted the steel screws holding the hinges. I left the cypress unfinished.

ken hatch
03-07-2016, 10:13 AM
Be careful about what you might use to finish cypress(if you apply a finish). Paint does not adhere well to it. I made a large "parcels" box out of cypress years ago. The cypress outlasted the steel screws holding the hinges. I left the cypress unfinished.

Thanks George. BTW, that's funny, not often wood out lasts steel :-). I'll look at different seal coats, if none work, then just some BLO.

ken

george wilson
03-07-2016, 10:28 AM
Yes,the steel screws rusted so badly,they got entirely too small to stay in the wood!:)

steven c newman
03-07-2016, 10:53 AM
About the same as iron screws used in oak boards...

Matthew Springer
03-07-2016, 12:22 PM
<quote>There is only so much beer, whisky and tacos a man can enjoy at one time.</quote>

Challenge Accepted! That wood looks great.

Adam Cruea
03-07-2016, 3:24 PM
There is only so much beer, whisky and tacos a man can enjoy at one time.

Blasphemy! Absolute blasphemy I tell you!

ken hatch
03-07-2016, 7:08 PM
Trust me guys, last trip to Mexico I pushed the limit. After three days it sure was nice to be back in the shop :).

Stew Denton
03-07-2016, 9:34 PM
Ken,

I was wondering about a vise. I don't have a shop yet, but am thinking strongly about building a relatively small one. After that there will be space for bigger projects, like a bench.

I have wanted a traditional European type bench, but also thought about a portable bench. An English bench has never really appealed, but for a portable bench, this bench really looks like it has possibilities.

That said, in the past I have wondered about how a vise on such an English bench would be set up and work, so am very interested in what you will build. By the way, what is a "QR" vise?

Stew

steven c newman
03-07-2016, 10:38 PM
"QR" vise is a Quick Release vise.

ken hatch
03-08-2016, 9:19 AM
Ken,

I was wondering about a vise. I don't have a shop yet, but am thinking strongly about building a relatively small one. After that there will be space for bigger projects, like a bench.

I have wanted a traditional European type bench, but also thought about a portable bench. An English bench has never really appealed, but for a portable bench, this bench really looks like it has possibilities.

That said, in the past I have wondered about how a vise on such an English bench would be set up and work, so am very interested in what you will build. By the way, what is a "QR" vise?

Stew

Stew,

Once I start the bench build, posts and photos will follow.

At times I've worked on many of the traditional benches including European, French, and English. I've built both French and English, my current main bench is a cross between French and English. French bones and English skin. Of the benches I've worked on my preference is English mostly because they are very simple and the apron is less trouble than a Bench Jack or sliding Deadman plus I almost never have a use for a tail vise. Too many gizmos on a bench just get in the way of working. Of course as always YMMV.

I also like the older English QR (Quick Release) vises such as a Record 52 used as a face vise. I've mounted the vise both proud and flush, currently flush but it's a toss up which is better. One way works easier for some operations and so on, no true better way just preference.

Damn Bubba, you don't have to build a clock every time someone asks the time.....

ken

ken hatch
03-22-2016, 7:53 PM
I'm almost through prepping the panels for the tool chest build. Steve Voigt send me a new Jack, it arrived just in time to help with the panels. What a sweet plane, While I used the ECE Try for some of the prep, most of the grunt work was done by the PhillyPlane Jack and Steve's Jack. with final smoothing done with Steve's Smoother. The PhillyPlane Jack has a lot of camber, just slightly less than the ECE scrub, Steve's came with almost perfect camber for a Jack. Working the three of 'em made getting the panels ready for dovetailing a piece of cake.

I made an unforced error cutting one of the panels to final size and left a big honking knot right in the dovetail line. Can you say "Condor Tail" to work around the knot. Anyway here are the three on the final panel, from left to right the PhillyPlane Jack, Steve's Jack. and Steve's Smoother:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/woodStockPlanesonCyprees160322_zpsawdbiupz.jpg

A glamor shot of the three, all beautifully made. Of the two Jacks if I had to only keep only one it would be Steve's:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/woodStockPlanesonCypreesGlamor160322_zpsovx2wnb4.j pg

Thanks Steve, it is a wonderful plane.

ken

Mike Cherry
03-22-2016, 9:12 PM
Yep it looks fantastic!

Brian Holcombe
03-22-2016, 9:19 PM
Looks great! I like the notations on the side of the panel, for grain direction?

Steve Voigt
03-22-2016, 10:11 PM
Ken,
That was fast--yay priority mail! Glad you like it.
Any idea what the bed angle is on that philly plane? It's a nice looking plane!

ken hatch
03-22-2016, 10:15 PM
Thanks guys,

Looks great! I like the notations on the side of the panel, for grain direction?

Busted :-). Old habit, helps keep me from making too many mistakes and quicker than looking for grain direction each time I pick up a board.

ken

ken hatch
03-22-2016, 10:47 PM
Ken,
That was fast--yay priority mail! Glad you like it.
Any idea what the bed angle is on that philly plane? It's a nice looking plane!

Steve,

The timing was perfect, I'd roughed out the panels with a scrub plane and the Philly Jack and was getting ready to prep 'em for the smoother with one of the #5's. I was not looking forward to it, They, the metal planes, are too heavy and hard to push even when waxed and on these wide board I needed to be able to plane both right & left handed. It is easy to do with a wood stock not so much with a metal. Bottom line, your Jack saved me from OD'ing on Advil.

The Philly is a nice plane, this is not packing sand, yours is nicer to use (other folks MMV) I expect for several reasons. The Philly is slightly bigger, the iron is single and bedded at 50* and currently has too much camber. Over time as I sharpen that will change. Both are good Jacks, just slightly different, but I'm glad you are doing what you are doing.

ken

Steve Voigt
03-22-2016, 11:59 PM
Ken,
Really glad you like it, and thanks for the info on your other plane. I think Phil does beautiful work.
The panels look good; looking forward to seeing more of this build!

Robert Hazelwood
03-23-2016, 12:39 AM
It's looking great so far, Ken. After looking at this and Brian's medicine cabinets, I'm thinking I might like to get my hands on some cypress for a tool cabinet I've got planned.

Also, those are beautiful planes. I think a nice wooden try plane may be in my future...

Stanley Covington
03-23-2016, 1:49 AM
Ken

I have watched this very interesting thread develop, and remembered that you need the toolchest so you can bring your tools along when RV'ing with SWMBO. A cruel taskmaster, I fear.

I assume this means that you anticipate doing some woodworking out in the field, or RV park, as the case may be. I also assume this activity will occur before, after, and during the process of consuming massive quantities of beer, tacos, and whiskey. Sounds like a helluva good time!

Assuming the consumption of massive quantities leaves you conscious, what kind of woodworking will you undertake, and how will you use the tools stored in your excellent toolchest when it is completed? Is this going to be accomplished on a picnic table, or are you going to bring along a folding workbench? Or use a B&D Workmate-type bench?

If you use Japanese saws and planes, there are a host of techniques that can make a portable outdoor workshop very enjoyable and productive with a minimum of equipment. I worked out of the side of a VW van parked behind customer's houses and businesses, and even in asphalt parking lots, for 6 years or so with good results. Some of my fondest memories are of making itado and shoji outdoors under the quaking aspens in the mountains of Northern Utah. Interested?

Stan

Matt Lau
03-23-2016, 3:01 AM
In terms of portable workbench, I really like the blum workbench and the idea behind the Ron Paulk bench.
While I agree with Stan that you don't need a ton of work holding with Japanese saws and planes, I have to say that Stan is likely much, much more talented than I.

I was just going to make a torsion box to use on top of some hideaway bench horses. When I'm done, I was going to stick the bench horses inside the torsion box. It'll have dog holes, dogs, and a few hold fasts...or just a few screws to act as stops for the work.

side note: Stan, I would love to your approach to a portable outdoor workshop.

Stanley Covington
03-23-2016, 8:25 AM
In terms of portable workbench, I really like the blum workbench and the idea behind the Ron Paulk bench.
While I agree with Stan that you don't need a ton of work holding with Japanese saws and planes, I have to say that Stan is likely much, much more talented than I.

I was just going to make a torsion box to use on top of some hideaway bench horses. When I'm done, I was going to stick the bench horses inside the torsion box. It'll have dog holes, dogs, and a few hold fasts...or just a few screws to act as stops for the work.

side note: Stan, I would love to your approach to a portable outdoor workshop.

The tools needed to do woodworking out of a van or pickup truck or RV would vary according to the kind of work one was undertaking. I did a lot of custom doors and timber frames, so I needed longer tools. Someone that was doing smaller work could get by with smaller tools.

The first item needed for your open-air workshop is a goza or reed mat of the kind used as the topping of tatami mats. These are hard to get hold of outside of Japan, are expensive and delicate, so a woven plastic mat would work fine. Places that sell Japanese or Korean foods and furniture should have them. Carpet works very well too. You simply spread this out on a flat area of ground next to your vehicle, or better yet, on a veranda if one is available. I also had a large umbrella strapped to my little toolchest for shade on hot summer days

On top of this surface goes the workbench. The workbench is simply a thick piece of wood with a board held by a sliding dovetail at each end holding it up off the mat, and two small stops dovetailed into the top at the end where you sit to hold work in place while planing. Alternately, the stops can be through-tenoned to allow them to be height-adjustable. The dimensions naturally vary by craftsman and what he will use it for. Stable hardwood is best. Laminated is more stable. If all you will use the bench for is planing, then the top can be sloped down towards you. But if you plan to cut mortises, a horizontal reference is necessary, so the legs should be the same height.

To use this with a plane, you sit on a cushion on the mat located at one end with a knee or shin braced against the bench, place the wood being planed against the stops, and pull the plane towards you. It is absolutely stable even without bracing since you are pulling against your own body. Same for sawing. This is the genius of this bench and tool combination. The bench can also be used for cutting mortises, C clamps or other clamps can be used to hold things in place, so you want to make it tall enough to allow room underneath.

It is certainly possible to place a benchtop like this on sawhorses, staked to the ground, or braced against something solid, so it won't move. This will allow you to work standing up, and even using push planes.

If the legs are connected to the top using double tapered sliding dovetails, they can easily be removed to allow the top and legs to store flat taking up very little space.

My knees won't let me work this way for very long anymore. Sigh...

This video shows an example of how to use this type of workbench: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5pJxeT3rEo

The pics below are of my workbench. It is an old piece (over 100 years) of Japanese cherry I salvaged 30 something years ago from my Father-in-Law's bookbinding factory where they had hundreds of them from the days when all the work was done by hand with knives. BTW, his original factory in Sendai (his father's back then, I suppose), was destroyed by American bombs during the war. But we still became close friends despite my stealing his daughter.

Japanese cherry is not as hard as American cherry. I added the American cherry legs and the beech stops later. I also drilled the dog holes. I don't think I would do the dogholes again if I could go back in time. Heck, if I could go back in time, I would try to save his factory!

Next, you will need some short sawhorses like in the attached picture. I have been using these for 35 years by replacing the top edge every 5 years or so. Four is the minimum number you will need, and will allow you to work on small things or large things, but they do require you to use Japanese saws, and have a good back. These can be set on top of the workbench to brace workpieces, or for gang marking and gang sawing and planing. I have an old Makita chopsaw with wooden skids that makes it's platten the same height as these sawhorses, so I can use them for infeed and outfeed support anywhere. Very stable, very useful, and they take very little space. Mine are made of pine. I think lightweight and tough are essential requirements for these little horsies, but a thrill runs up my leg when I think of the elegant woods and joinery, and maybe even (dare I think it) marquetry Brian might employ should he decide to make some for himself!

Lastly, if you are doing long work, you need a planing beam. Odate has a good example in his book.

If Ken parks his RV by a tree along a flowing brook to the sounds of small birds, and assuming he can still move after mass quantities of tapis and hooch, he will be a happy man indeed. He will unroll his goza mat or carpet, slip the legs into his workbench, plop it down where he will get the best sunlight, and place a cushion at one end to sit on. He will then place his toolbox behind him, open it, and ready the tools he will use that day. Or, depending on his alcohol content and mood, now may be the perfect time for a refreshing siesta. If he plans to do some work on longer pieces, he can set up his planing beam alongside the carpet so he can plane with his shoes off. If he is lucky, he can brace one end of the beam against a tree, or maybe he will need to wack a stake into the ground to brace against. Voila, Ken's workshop!

At the end of the day, he can load his tools back into his fancy dancy toolchest, and store it inside the RV or underneath it. He will probably put his shavings and chips into the barbeque to warm some steaks... just until they say ouch.

SWMBO will be impressed with his diligence, and thrilled at his masculine powers and god-like dexterity with tools, a sight heretofore hidden from view in the dark recesses of his dungeon-like workshop at home. He is a now a happy man and may never return home. Or something like that.

Stan

Kees Heiden
03-23-2016, 9:07 AM
Do I see correctly that Masuda-dai made a huge workbench so he can sit on top of it to do his work? Isn't that pushing it a bit?

(Love the story and pictures Stanley).

Barry Dima
03-23-2016, 9:57 AM

Some of my fondest memories are of making itado and shoji outdoors under the quaking aspens in the mountains of Northern Utah. Interested?

Whatever life is, you two are doing it right. Cheers for the thread and stories.

Stanley Covington
03-23-2016, 10:06 AM
Do I see correctly that Masuda-dai made a huge workbench so he can sit on top of it to do his work? Isn't that pushing it a bit?

(Love the story and pictures Stanley).

Doesn't everyone sit on their workbench? How else would one employ the venerable butt clamp?

Stan

Kees Heiden
03-23-2016, 10:08 AM
I very often sit on top of my bench! Makes some jobs indeed easier.

Stanley Covington
03-23-2016, 10:48 AM
I very often sit on top of my bench! Makes some jobs indeed easier.

A wise man... a clever man!

ken hatch
03-24-2016, 7:05 AM
You guys have me rolling on the floor, now if I can just figure out a way to get up. BTW Stan if I ever got close to the position the guy in photo #3 and #4 is in I'd never walk again :-).

I got lucky. The dimensions on the tool box are "that looks about right". Because of the size of the panels it will work best if they can be sawed in the Moxon vise. "That looks about right" just fits in the Moxon, a silly mm more and I would be trying to figure out the best way to get rid of that mm.

Here is a photo of the tail boards in the Moxon:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/toolBoxTailBoard160324_zpsssevrktg.jpg

There will be no sawing until next week. After finishing morning coffee I have to put on the monkey suit and go sit in a dark box for 4 hours. Once finished with dark box sitting, I'll load up MsBubba, Sam the Wonder Dog, and Sweet Maggie Dog in the truck and off we go with the 5th wheel in tow for the 9 to 10 hour drive to Fort Davis, Texas. Home Monday, dark box sitting Tuesday, sawing sometime.

ken

Chris Hachet
03-24-2016, 8:24 AM
Whatever life is, you two are doing it right. Cheers for the thread and stories.

Agreed...quite a few people here at the creek are a real inspiration to me.

Chris Hachet
03-24-2016, 8:25 AM
You guys have me rolling on the floor, now if I can just figure out a way to get up. BTW Stan if I ever got close to the position the guy in photo #3 and #4 is in I'd never walk again :-).

I got lucky. The dimensions on the tool box are "that looks about right". Because of the size of the panels it will work best if they can be sawed in the Moxon vise. "That looks about right" just fits in the Moxon, a silly mm more and I would be trying to figure out the best way to get rid of that mm.

Here is a photo of the tail boards in the Moxon:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/toolBoxTailBoard160324_zpsssevrktg.jpg

There will be no sawing until next week. After finishing morning coffee I have to put on the monkey suit and go sit in a dark box for 4 hours. Once finished with dark box sitting, I'll load up MsBubba, Sam the Wonder Dog, and Sweet Maggie Dog in the truck and off we go with the 5th wheel in tow for the 9 to 10 hour drive to Fort Davis, Texas. Home Monday, dark box sitting Tuesday, sawing sometime.

ken

Not really relevant to the discussion, but so nice to see a messy floor with lots of shavings on it. Saw a surgically clean shop the other day, and was feeling a little bad...until I saw this....LOVE IT!

ken hatch
03-30-2016, 10:16 PM
Chris,

That is shortly after sweeping:-).

MsBubba, the critters, and I spent a long weekend in Ft. Davis, Texas. While nice, by day two the beer/taco overload had kicked in. I've got to get this box finished. Of course the first day back I've a 0300 show at work and it doesn't get any better this week.

I did manage to saw the tails today and will start chopping and paring waste tomorrow after work. Here are a couple or three photos.

Tails marked out:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/toolBoxTailBoardMarkedOut160330_zpsltt7jgns.jpg

Sawing the tails

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/toolBoxTailBoardSawing160330_zpsbtvbn8zb.jpg

Most of the waste removed, on to cleaning out the pin area:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/toolBoxTailBoardSawingWaste160330_zpspdijsgrl.jpg

ken

Phil Mueller
03-31-2016, 6:56 AM
Thanks for sharing Stan. Enjoyed watching the video. Just goes to show you, you don't need a lot of sophisticated tools to do great work...just a LOT OF SKILL. Particularly enjoyed seeing him "eyeball" flat. True master.

By the way, I do climb up on my bench to saw, but like Ken, if I sat like that for long, I wouldn't be getting up!

Stanley Covington
03-31-2016, 7:35 AM
Thanks for sharing Stan. Enjoyed watching the video. Just goes to show you, you don't need a lot of sophisticated tools to do great work...just a LOT OF SKILL. Particularly enjoyed seeing him "eyeball" flat. True master.

By the way, I do climb up on my bench to saw, but like Ken, if I sat like that for long, I wouldn't be getting up!

You are welcome Phil. Just goes to show how a guy can get pretty good after 60 years of practice.

I suppose Kees and I will need to collaborate on a tutorial on how to properly use the traditional butt clamp while sitting on one's workbench... The world is starving for great literature!

Mike Holbrook
03-31-2016, 9:36 AM
I am in the process of doing projects to make my tools more mobile too. The wife and I are making plans to move to a North, Ga mountain setting. My objectives are two fold. I am getting all my tools ready to move, at the same time I do not know what kind of work space I will have in the new location. My second objective has become to purge my tool collection making those remain essential tools as organized and mobile as I can. This is not an easy task for me as organization is not my long suit. I am more of a keep everything in a nice neat pile kind of guy.

I have some Festool tools and Festools come in their own cases, plus there are cases/boxes called systainers and sortainers that are very light, clamp to other Festool boxes...They even stack in a special hand truck made to carry them. Unfortunately these devices are not cheap so I intend to use them for smaller tools and the Festool tools. My bandsaw is on a mobility base and I just built a mobile base for my lunch box planer. All my electron eaters are relatively mobile. I am working on the mobility of my hand tools, particularly the larger ones.

One of my current projects is a project plan that was in Popular Woodworking called a German Work Box. It is a rolling tool carrying device that opens up at the top to provide easy access to a large array of tools actually in use. I am also planing to reinforce several wood cabinets I am currently using to house tools, putting them on casters too. My idea is to be able to move all my stored tools, in cabinets, around whatever space I wind up with.

I am very interested in this project and the other suggestions in this thread having to do with making tools more mobile.

I have started butt exercises and wait anxiously to hear more about employing the butt clamp. I have long been a fan of sitting on the floor, my reasoning has always been that it is very hard to fall off the floor. On the other hand, as I have added a few years, I am starting to have difficulty, once I am on the floor, in picking myself up off it. Maybe I need to resume a little Tai Chi to further improve my balance and flexibility.

Stanley Covington
03-31-2016, 9:54 AM
Mike:

I sympathize with your predicament. I have moved many times over the years, much of it internationally, so I agree strongly with your plan to keep things mobile. KD is also helpful.

The German Work Box looks like it would do the job.I will stick with my toolchest and smaller toolboxes.

I am encouraged to hear you are working on your butt exercises. Please post pictures (not!)

Regarding clutter, I tend to be very organized in the work I do for others, but not so much for myself. But neat piles are the sign of neat guy. No piles is a sign of mental frailty IMO. The most intelligent men I have ever known in the academic world lived in mountains of books and papers with no discernible order, but they could find exactly what was needed in the pile with little effort.

Keep us posted on the solutions you develop for your move. I am always eager to learn new methods.

Stan

Mike Holbrook
03-31-2016, 11:54 AM
Thanks for your kind words of encouragement Stan. Around 20 years ago, within a single year, I moved everything from my wife's house and my house into a rental house while our home was being constructed then moved the sum of both houses into the "new" house. I was younger then, I don't care to do that again, even if I could. Moving 10 or so dogs adds a few interesting twists, especially if most of them are German Shepherds.

I found a supplier of tongue & groove cypress near me. I bought some plain boards too. One of the things I like about cypress is it is a light wood. I plan to make cabinet doors and cabinet trim with the cypress in an effort to keep things as light as possible. I also found something at Lowe's that I have never seen before 5/4 clear SYP, which is heavier but tougher. I bought 12 boards for projects and to encourage the stocking of 5/4 wood. I hope to make a few similar boxes to the one in this thread and Brian's thread too. I am trying not to make things that when loaded are heavier than I can carry. I have my doubts about many of the boxes I have seen. If I think I can't carry something I am trying to put it on casters.

Ken, how do you like using the TFWW bowsaw for joinery? The picture implies you used it to cut out the dovetails. I never can decide which saw to use. I have western, Japanese and bow saws. I seem to prefer which ever one I have in my hand and I am trying to reduce how many I have to move.

ken hatch
03-31-2016, 6:46 PM

Ken, how do you like using the TFWW bowsaw for joinery? The picture implies you used it to cut out the dovetails. I never can decide which saw to use. I have western, Japanese and bow saws. I seem to prefer which ever one I have in my hand and I am trying to reduce how many I have to move.

Mike,

About all I use it for is to saw out dovetail waste. I find it easier to use than either a standard coping or fret saw. It's about the same price as that space age coping/fret saw (which I have and never use) and works much better. Most of the time I just chop, I make fewer mistakes chopping and paring than sawing and then paring and it is almost as fast. On big panels like these sawing cuts down on the number of times I have to reposition the panel vs. chopping and paring. At least that's my story, as always YMMV.

I managed to clean up one set of tails this morning before work, The Cypress is nice to work, a little softer than what I normally use but so far it is cleaning up very nicely. That said, I'm glad this is a tool box and not a piece of furniture, it dents very easily.

ken

Mike Holbrook
03-31-2016, 11:22 PM
Good info. Ken, thanks for the input. I have the fancy fret saw too. I think I have a relatively light touch, but I seem to break blades way too often. So maybe I keep the bowsaw and find another home for the fancy saw. I think I may find the bowsaw more useful for the work I do. Then I just have to decide if I need the bowsaw and two dovetail saws, probably not. I am anxious to try my new Gennou with my chisels too. If I can just finish up my sawhorse so I can make handles. I think I can get rid of a 16 oz carpenters hammer or two. A couple of the US hammers with metal & plastic shafts tend to send too much shock down the shafts anyway.

Good to know about the Cypress denting. Maybe I will try some WATCO on a piece. I have had some luck with it helping old soft/dry apple wood handles on old tools and it seems to penetrate just about anything well. Should be good to practice cutting dovetails etc. in. Maybe a good way to try out the lighter Gennou.

Mike Allen1010
04-01-2016, 1:18 PM
Thanks for posting Ken– I'm really enjoying the thread and looking forward to the rest of the build.

I'm really interested to hear about your experience working in your "portable" shop. It would be great to be able to work in the sunshine and fresh air, but clearly the key benefit is the ability to maintain uninterrupted beer, whiskey and tacos, while still enjoying woodworking! I'm pretty sure that's what heaven must be like:)?

I also appreciate the pictures/description of Steve's planes. I've heard lots of good things about how fun his planes are to work with and at least one of those is definitely on my list. My last few projects have been with hand tool friendly woods (Pine, walnut), but I'm currently building a chest out of Birdseye Maple, which is not nearly as much fun to plane - really hard with plenty of tearout. However the maple does really highlight the benefits of well tuned hand planes– easily quantified based on my daily Advil intake.

Cheers, Mike

Matt Lau
04-02-2016, 12:32 AM
I have to say that this thread reminds me of why I love you guys.

Mike, one thing that I plan to be doing is making a lightweight/smaller version of stan's bench to fit in my Corolla. I'll be using it as is, or propped on some Hideaway horses (no financial affiliation, except that they have my money). I was also thinking of doing a small torsion box (like the smallest version of the Blum horse), but the traditional Japanese bench is much purtier.

Frederick Skelly
04-02-2016, 7:44 AM
There is only so much beer, whisky and tacos a man can enjoy at one time.

No. That's not physically possible. You're not tellin' us the whole story here, Ken. Come on, you can tell US - did you get drunk and vomit tacos all over the RV? :D:D:D Is that why she'd rather have you bring tools and a bench?

Just teasing Sir. Seriously, having your tools along could be way cool. Look forward to seeing more pics of your bench as it develops.

Best regards,
Fred

ken hatch
04-02-2016, 11:39 AM
Ken

I have watched this very interesting thread develop, and remembered that you need the toolchest so you can bring your tools along when RV'ing with SWMBO. A cruel taskmaster, I fear.

I assume this means that you anticipate doing some woodworking out in the field, or RV park, as the case may be. I also assume this activity will occur before, after, and during the process of consuming massive quantities of beer, tacos, and whiskey. Sounds like a helluva good time!

Assuming the consumption of massive quantities leaves you conscious, what kind of woodworking will you undertake, and how will you use the tools stored in your excellent toolchest when it is completed? Is this going to be accomplished on a picnic table, or are you going to bring along a folding workbench? Or use a B&D Workmate-type bench?

If you use Japanese saws and planes, there are a host of techniques that can make a portable outdoor workshop very enjoyable and productive with a minimum of equipment. I worked out of the side of a VW van parked behind customer's houses and businesses, and even in asphalt parking lots, for 6 years or so with good results. Some of my fondest memories are of making itado and shoji outdoors under the quaking aspens in the mountains of Northern Utah. Interested?

Stan

Stan,

Small stuff because of space constraints, I expect boxes, stools, small chairs and tables. While I have a few Japanese planes I haven't mastered them so my planes will likely be wood stock, mostly ECE I like using their "horned" planes. I'm most comfortable with western saws, and I expect a mix of western and Japanese chisels. For the bench I'm planing on a knock down English style though if I could figure out a way to get it to an old man's working level a planing plank would be ideal. What ever I end up with will need a cup holder for the beer :).

Keep the stories coming,

ken

ken hatch
04-02-2016, 12:11 PM
No. That's not physically possible. You're not tellin' us the whole story here, Ken. Come on, you can tell US - did you get drunk and vomit tacos all over the RV? :D:D:D Is that why she'd rather have you bring tools and a bench?

Just teasing Sir. Seriously, having your tools along could be way cool. Look forward to seeing more pics of your bench as it develops.

Best regards,
Fred

Fred,

As with most stories, your version is better than the truth :). While I enjoy my food and booze I can't sit and do nothing for long. When traveling, after about the second day in one place I'm ready to load up and move 600 to a 1000 miles down the road. I've lived my life seeing what was around the next bend in the road or over the next hill. If I'm not at home it works great for me. Needless to say not so much for SWMBO.

It could end up being the best of worlds. I get to have my shop, MsBubba gets to be somewhere other than the desert.

ken

ken hatch
04-02-2016, 12:17 PM
Thanks for posting Ken– I'm really enjoying the thread and looking forward to the rest of the build.

I'm really interested to hear about your experience working in your "portable" shop. It would be great to be able to work in the sunshine and fresh air, but clearly the key benefit is the ability to maintain uninterrupted beer, whiskey and tacos, while still enjoying woodworking! I'm pretty sure that's what heaven must be like:)?

I also appreciate the pictures/description of Steve's planes. I've heard lots of good things about how fun his planes are to work with and at least one of those is definitely on my list. My last few projects have been with hand tool friendly woods (Pine, walnut), but I'm currently building a chest out of Birdseye Maple, which is not nearly as much fun to plane - really hard with plenty of tearout. However the maple does really highlight the benefits of well tuned hand planes– easily quantified based on my daily Advil intake.

Cheers, Mike

Thanks Mike,

Anymore my wood choose tends to be something easy to work but I can feel your pain.

I may have a couple of days off in a row coming up, if I do, the saws are calling "I'm ready for my close up Mr. DeMille".

ken

ken hatch
04-04-2016, 10:30 AM
Slowly the box is coming together. I'm in the middle of chopping and paring the pin waste from the tail boards. Because of size it is a PITA but what's new.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/toolBoxTailBoardCheckingPinSockets160404_zpsgv33ko bc.jpg

I'm not sure which is giving the break, paring or cleaning the shop but I'm trying to do both. The cleaning part is long overdue. I'm making three piles as I go, one junk that no one would want, a second of stuff to put on Craig's List, and a third for eBay/SMC. Some of the eBay/SMC stuff will be things like a complete Tormek T-7 system. Anyway it may take weeks to sort out all the junk.

Once the box is finished I need to make a small bench or repurpose my sharpening bench once more. the sharping bench was the first woodworking bench I built and it has been many thing in the shop. If I did, repurpose the sharpening bench, then I'd have an excuse to build an English bench for my second bench and move the old Roubo over to the sharpening bench side of the shop. Could be win win. Then again I expect sanity will kick in and I will just build a small English bench for travel.

Back to the shop,

ken

ken hatch
04-06-2016, 9:46 AM
The sucker is glued up.

When it has been awhile since the last big box glue up you forget just how much work it is to do without a helper. Everything is too far away, falls off, or slips. Anyway here is my basic set up for solo glue up:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/toolBoxPosition%20ForGlueUp160406_zpsi9628iw2.jpg

Checking the position and making sure things fit:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/toolBoxSide%20PositionForGlueUp160406_zps07qj8wab. jpg

Glued up and square for now. We will see when the clamps come off, as you can see I had to pull it square....Never a good sign:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/toolBoxGlueUpDone160406_zpsdhb8zj03.jpg

Other than being very soft the Cypress was nice to work with hand tools but.....At least this batch, never stopped doing stupid wood tricks. I finally gave up and figured the dovetails will pull it straight enough for a tool box or it will make a nice fire. Once out of the clamps what will it be, firewood and I start over or I make a lid and some trays. Either way works for me.

ken

Brian Holcombe
04-06-2016, 10:14 AM
My experience with cypress was a pretty good one, but it definetly dents easily. My lot was relatively well behaved otherwise.

The dovetails look good!

Ken, the obvious answer is that you need a roubo affixed with a small block Chevy and a chop screw that can operate a steering linkage. :D

Augusto Orosco
04-06-2016, 12:33 PM
I am also about to embark in building my tool chest for my "permanent" shop, which has very little usable wall surface for a cabinet. I got the pine acclimating and since I have never cut one, am currently in day 3 of the "making a dovetail a day" challenge. Probably will post a thread off it eventually, so people can feel good about their skills compared to mine :D

Following this thread with interest, but more importantly, with gusto. It is one of those precious threads that has a good 'vibe' all around. Thanks, Ken!

ken hatch
04-06-2016, 4:54 PM
Thanks Brian,

The joinery is OK, still do not know if it is square.

I think when the LOML saw the box for the first time she questioned why we needed an RV. Her thoughts were just throw a bed in it.

ken

ken hatch
04-06-2016, 5:01 PM
Augusto,

Just remember a dovetail doesn't have to be "pretty" to do the job. I'm still using the first work bench I built 40 or so years ago, it was butt ugly when first built and still is but it still works for whatever I ask of it.

Thanks for the kind words,

ken

ken hatch
04-17-2016, 9:05 PM
The box is what it is and the bottom skirt is cooking. It is not my best work but, it is square, the joinery is bullet proof and there is nothing that a little "pooky" (highly technical term for water putty or anything else used to hide screw ups) and paint can't fix. Bottom goes on next. I still can't decide between Cypress or Baltic Birch ply. Top Skirt and a lid to go, both should be reasonably quick because neither will require much butt scratching but the next three days I'm working a mid day shift and not much gets done either before or after work on that schedule. If the current work schedule holds and I get a couple or three days off in a row following the next three it will not be long before I finish this sucker.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/toolBoxSkirtGlueUp160417_1_zpsmjjb9vlc.jpg

ken

ken hatch
04-22-2016, 12:15 AM
The upper skirt is cooking in the clamps. Tomorrow I will install the bottom and start the rails and stiles for the top. This sucker is going to end up being at least a big box and maybe, just maybe a tool box.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/toolBoxUpperSkirt160421_zps2jurjt7b.jpg

The splotches are where I wiped glue off with a wet rag. The one end had a ton of squeeze out.

ken

Stanley Covington
04-22-2016, 3:21 AM
The upper skirt is cooking in the clamps. Tomorrow I will install the bottom and start the rails and stiles for the top. This sucker is going to end up being at least a big box and maybe, just maybe a tool box.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/toolBoxUpperSkirt160421_zps2jurjt7b.jpg

The splotches are where I wiped glue off with a wet rag. The one end had a ton of squeeze out.

ken

Will that thing fit inside the door of your RV? Are you a country Western singer, or a Presidential candidate with one of those huge buses with pop-out sides and disco balls above the 14 seat dining table? Enquiring minds want to know!

PS: Do you have a good salsa recipe?

ken hatch
04-22-2016, 11:20 AM
Will that thing fit inside the door of your RV? Are you a country Western singer, or a Presidential candidate with one of those huge buses with pop-out sides and disco balls above the 14 seat dining table? Enquiring minds want to know!

PS: Do you have a good salsa recipe?

Stanley,

You should have heard the first thing MsBubba said, pretty much tracked with you :-). I sized it to hold my biggest rip saw, my guess is I will build another but sized for a panel saw and maybe not all my molding planes, just a couple of H&R's, a beading plane or two and a few of the woodies. BTW, I have found a spot on the shop floor where it will be out of the way but useable for the seldom used tools such as the H&R's.

As for salsa, I'm a Texan and all real Texans have a salsa that is better than any other. The only problem is it must be learned at the master's knee.....That's about right. Add just enough but not too much. You know the drill, the door to Casa Chaos is always open and I would enjoy sharing.

ken

Stanley Covington
04-22-2016, 6:55 PM
Stanley,

You should have heard the first thing MsBubba said, pretty much tracked with you :-). I sized it to hold my biggest rip saw, my guess is I will build another but sized for a panel saw and maybe not all my molding planes, just a couple of H&R's, a beading plane or two and a few of the woodies. BTW, I have found a spot on the shop floor where it will be out of the way but useable for the seldom used tools such as the H&R's.

As for salsa, I'm a Texan and all real Texans have a salsa that is better than any other. The only problem is it must be learned at the master's knee.....That's about right. Add just enough but not too much. You know the drill, the door to Casa Chaos is always open and I would enjoy sharing.

ken

Ms Bubba is obviously a wise and saintly lady. And being a Texican, is no doubt proficient with a shooter. SWMBO or else!

Thanks for the invite to Casa Chaos! I will let you know in advance, and bring some sushi and senbei to add to the massive quantities. I am sure senbei and salsa would go well together.

Stan

ken hatch
04-24-2016, 10:13 PM
The tool box shell is kinda done. It has a coat of Shellac to seal the Cypress and I expect I'll paint the outside with some color of Milk Paint. Maybe Blue or Yellow, who knows. I've a big can of Black and a big can of Barn Red, it could end up with any of 'em.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/toolBoxShellac160424_zpsp1zh5cyb.jpg

Lots of less than perfect work in the making but it is square enough and strong enough to do the job. Of course MsBubba during one of the many times she helped move it to a new position said...."Oh this would make a perfect toy box for the grandpeanut". She didn't call him the grandpeanut but I've got to have some freedom of expression. Of course she is correct, a slightly smaller version would make a good toy box for Levi....Maybe by the Winter Solstices Celebration.

I'll start on the frame and panel for the lid tomorrow as well as the trays. Neither of which should take too long.

Brian Holcombe
04-24-2016, 10:35 PM
Looks great Ken!

'Grandpeanut' hah, I will have to offer that one to my parents.

ken hatch
04-25-2016, 12:40 AM
Looks great Ken!

'Grandpeanut' hah, I will have to offer that one to my parents.

Thanks Brian,

They don't stay peanuts long. Levi is already putting the table and chair I made for his B-Day to good use, I'm glad it is bullet proof. I wanted to make it "lighter looking", it's good that MsBubba changed my mind :).

ken

Brian Holcombe
04-25-2016, 7:55 AM
Amazing isn't it? Mine is already 'cruising', he likes to hang onto me and make endless laps around the house, hah. I do see the need for sturdy furniture, lol.

Mike Allen1010
04-26-2016, 1:45 AM
Ken,, your toolbox looks great and sounds very utilitarian . I likevthe look, of the shellac on the cypress. Although I've never used milk paint, so look forward to seeing the final finish. I've really enjoyed your build - thanks for posting!

Take care of yourself', Might be something to that whole "we all need to drink more water" thing.

Cheers, Mike

ken hatch
04-27-2016, 3:39 PM
Ken,, your toolbox looks great and sounds very utilitarian . I likevthe look, of the shellac on the cypress. Although I've never used milk paint, so look forward to seeing the final finish. I've really enjoyed your build - thanks for posting!

Take care of yourself', Might be something to that whole "we all need to drink more water" thing.

Cheers, Mike

Thanks Mike,

The Boss passed judgement last night something to the order of: "I don't see why you need to paint it, it looks fine just as it is". I tell you that woman is blind, of course that has been known for a long time 'caus she did hook up with me.

The whole project may be on hold for awhile.....While working on the pool pump yesterday something in my right shoulder let go with a loud "pop". I'm wondering how one arm chiseling is going to work.

BTW, I don't follow orders very well but I know to say "yes dear".

Drinking so much water my eyes are floating,

ken

Mike Cherry
04-27-2016, 3:46 PM
Damn Ken sorry to hear about the shoulder buddy. Chest is coming along fantastic. I really like the looks of that cypress!

ken hatch
04-29-2016, 11:21 PM
Damn Ken sorry to hear about the shoulder buddy. Chest is coming along fantastic. I really like the looks of that cypress!

Thanks Mike,

I've a appointment with the Shoulder Doc Monday, I expect he will want to cut. In the meantime I'm learning to work one handed :).

I'm pretty much in the short rows, one tray down and one to go. I expect I'll finish the second tray in the AM. Then it is just paint and lid to finish the sucker off.

I'd been holding off on the top, waiting for the new Plano vertical glue press to arrive, turns out UPS delivered it last Monday, "Left on Doorstep". Whatever, Advanced Machinery has found it and will see it is on its way this coming Monday.

I've a spreader holding the saw till in place while the hide glue sets and I've tried a few things to see how they fit. Only problem found so far is the Japanese paring chisels are too tall to fit on a side wall, I'll have to make a paring chisel till in one of the trays. If I can stay out of MsBubba's line of sight tomorrow it will have at least a couple of coats of milk paint by sundown.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/toolBoxWithFirstTray160429_zpscs5kxpst.jpg

ken

ken hatch
04-30-2016, 4:37 PM
I'm making the second tray while waiting for the first coat of "Red Pepper" milk paint to dry.

It will take a couple more coats of the Red Pepper and then it will be decision time....Stay Red or use a overcoat of another color. One of the things I like about Milk paint is as it wears it doesn't flake but will reveal the paint and/or wood under the top coat. If I decide to go with a different top coat the question is.....Which one? Black always works well with a red under coat, I've never tried Blue over red and think it might be interesting. I expect yellow or green would be kinda indifferent.

Whatever I'm ready to move on to either the travel work bench or some shop furniture, unless MsBubba has other plans.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/toolBoxWithFirstCoatPaint160430_zpsuszwewnh.jpg

Malcolm Schweizer
04-30-2016, 5:31 PM
Looking great! I love the choice of color.

Tom Vanzant
04-30-2016, 5:41 PM
Looking mighty fine, Ken. I think the red makes a nice undercoat. Finish with black and rub thru in a few places.

Stanley Covington
04-30-2016, 7:49 PM
Looking mighty fine, Ken. I think the red makes a nice undercoat. Finish with black and rub thru in a few places.

Ditto.

Or maybe another coat of lumpy blue, and then black. When you sand the black, the high-standing lumps and streaks in the blue coat will wear through quickly leaving spots exposing layers of color.

Another trick is to wax particular areas, and then paint over them. The milkpaint won't stick well, and can be easily rubbed or flaked off in interesting ways exposing the other colored layers beneath. Very antiquey. If Boss Bubba, aka, SWMBO, likes antiquey things, she might be perusaded to see the Holy Toolbox as a folksy bit of interior decoration for Airbus 1 (or whatever you call the Presidential RV).

I had my toolbox sitting in the corner of the dining room for a year when we first moved into our current house in Japan. My wife loves to entertain, and her girlfriends always commented positively on the antique tansu, not realizing of course, that it contained tools like chisels, planes, and adzes and not lace baby clothes.

The picture below has this done to a Windsor chair's arm. The wax was applied over the black coat, as you can see.

Stan

ken hatch
05-01-2016, 9:46 PM
Looking great! I love the choice of color.

It will stay Red for awhile.

ken

ken hatch
05-01-2016, 9:56 PM

That was the plan but, I guess I got lazy and kinda liked the red. That can always change.

Ditto.

Or maybe another coat of lumpy blue, and then black. When you sand the black, the high-standing lumps and streaks in the blue coat will wear through quickly leaving spots exposing layers of color.

Another trick is to wax particular areas, and then paint over them. The milkpaint won't stick well, and can be easily rubbed or flaked off in interesting ways exposing the other colored layers beneath. Very antiquey. If Boss Bubba, aka, SWMBO, likes antiquey things, she might be perusaded to see the Holy Toolbox as a folksy bit of interior decoration for Airbus 1 (or whatever you call the Presidential RV).

I had my toolbox sitting in the corner of the dining room for a year when we first moved into our current house in Japan. My wife loves to entertain, and her girlfriends always commented positively on the antique tansu, not realizing of course, that it contained tools like chisels, planes, and adzes and not lace baby clothes.

The picture below has this done to a Windsor chair's arm. The wax was applied over the black coat, as you can see.

Stan

Stan,

As always great advice and you never fail to make me laugh or at least chuckle. This one will never make it to Bubba1, it will end its days sitting next to the main workbench.

I'm going to need some serious planing for the RV tool box or as you suggest....get rich. I'm thinking a "toy Hauler" trailer to pull behind the RV.....workshop on the go, after taking your get rich suggestion to heart:).

ken

ken hatch
05-01-2016, 10:10 PM
The Cherry shorts I'm waiting on for the lid haven't arrived. I can do the lid with the box loaded and by loading it I can make needed room in the shop. A long way around to: here are a couple of photos of the tool box loaded. I expect the "load" will change many times but here is the first load. Top drawer mostly things used daily and/or normally found on the workbench. Second drawer most of my joinery planes and tools. Back side of case H&R's with molding planes, middle wood stock bench planes, front wall will have a chisel rack and saw till. All subject to change often.

Both drawers open:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/toolBoxTwoDrawersOpen160501_zpsibeevbf7.jpg

Drawers closed to the rear with toes:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/toolBoxTwoDrawersClosedFrontside160501_zpsi6omag69 .jpg

Drawers closed to the front with red belly at the bottom:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/toolBoxTwoDrawersClosedBackside160501_zpsjlv7pyn1. jpg

ken

Mike Cherry
05-01-2016, 11:20 PM
Looks great Ken! I plan to make something similar one of these days. Can't decide if I want a chest or a hanging cabinet. Your work is an inspiration.

ken hatch
05-02-2016, 12:16 AM
Looks great Ken! I plan to make something similar one of these days. Can't decide if I want a chest or a hanging cabinet. Your work is an inspiration.

Thanks Mike,

The cabinet is a "must", the tool box I expect it will be "nice to have".

BTW, the inside is not finished and will not be. All the joinery marks were left in place and I did not finish planing any of the trays or dividers. I expect in a hundred years or so (if it hasn't been turned into a toy box) whoever is looking at it will enjoy the tool and the joinery marks of the inside.

ken