PDA

View Full Version : Glue-up Question

Rich Torino
09-13-2005, 12:54 PM
The LOML has come up with a plan for a cabinet she want me to build. The unit will be made from 3/4 in curly maple ply and sold maple. The doors will be flat panel curly ply and banded with 1/2 in maple bull nosed on one end and sitting about 1/4" proud of the panel. She wants the curly maple with a natural finish and the banding stained with some "colorful" type stain or dye....
Since I wouldn't be able to stain the banding after glue up to the plywood will a glue up work with a pre stained/dyed piece of banding? Any of your input would be appreciated...
Thanks,
Rich in Fl...

Donnie Raines
09-13-2005, 1:38 PM
I would apply a wood close to the color she would like it to be. if she wants a darker color...use walnut, wenge or the like. if she would like a reddish color...go cherry, mahoghany or the like. trying to keep the dye on just the banding after being applied is next to impossiable. Dying before application...well you will need tio sand it flush I am sure....(sorry for the spelling...trying to type real fast at work)

Lee DeRaud
09-13-2005, 2:26 PM
If you go with a dye (rather than an oil-based stain of some sort), I wouldn't expect it to affect a subsequent glue-up that much. If I read your description correctly, it's not a structural joint anyway.

Worst case, shouldn't take more than an hour or so to dye a couple of scraps and glue the dyed surfaces together as a test.

Dan Forman
09-13-2005, 2:40 PM
I think you might want to have a coat of something over the dye to protect it from water in the event that you would have to clean off some glue squeeze out.

Lee DeRaud
09-13-2005, 2:53 PM
I think you might want to have a coat of something over the dye to protect it from water in the event that you would have to clean off some glue squeeze out.I was thinking of alcohol-based dye, but using masking tape to protect from squeeze-out is pretty much SOP for me anyway.

Jules Dominguez
09-13-2005, 9:23 PM
It's been a long time since I used any, but the water-based aniline dyes soak into the wood, the water evaporates, and I don't believe there's anything left on the surface that would have any effect on the normal woodworking glues. It would be my choice for the design you describe.

Jim Becker
09-13-2005, 9:27 PM
I was thinking of alcohol-based dye, but using masking tape to protect from squeeze-out is pretty much SOP for me anyway.

My same thoughts--alcohol-soluable dye, but I think it would also require spraying the dye to avoid saturation and bleed...maybe...

Rich Torino
09-14-2005, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the responses...

I think I'm going to expirement with the water based aniline dyes. It seems to come in a variety of colors so I'm sure my wife will find one she likes..
Thanks Again

Rich in Fl...