PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press Table

Michael Cole
03-02-2016, 12:31 PM
Do any of you use a drill press table? If so, do you find it useful? Did you buy one or make your own? If you were to buy one, which one would it be? I would kind of like it to be easily installed. I have a Porter-Cable 12 speed drill press from Lowes.

glenn bradley
03-02-2016, 12:37 PM
It will make a paramount leap in your quality of work and in your thinking when approaching a task. I bought but, only because the original Woodpecker table had 99% of what I was after. Since it is no longer offered, I would build or buy and modify heavily.

Things to include:

Fence slots or rails that extend back far enough to allow maximum use of the table.
A high and low fence; high fence with stops for clamping to, low fence with stops for clearance on small items.
Multiple tracks for hold downs both wide and narrow (I have both and still made an accessory to allow even closer clamping options.
A replaceable insert that is off center and round (this is the only thing the Woodpecker didn't have); the off center positioning forbid spinning and the round insert allows many, many "new" spots whereas my off center square one only allows four.
Provisions or an attachment for vertical drilling in long stock.
If you won't have storage nearby, you may want to hang a shelf.
Think about chip collection.

332941 . 332940

Peter Aeschliman
03-02-2016, 1:05 PM
Great idea on the round and offset insert!

I think this is germane, but the risk of hijacking... does anybody have thoughts on what material to use for the replaceable inserts? I've used MDF before, but it's super annoying because of the way the material tends to "lift" around a freshly drilled hole. I have to take out a chisel and clean it up to make the table flat again.

I'm sure this is in large part influenced by the quality of the bit you're using. But even with lower quality bits, I imagine some materials resist this better than others. HDPE plastic?

pat warner
03-02-2016, 1:35 PM
I use 3/8 aluminum jig plate, made it, third generation now, second here. (http://patwarner.com/images/drilling1.jpg)
Useful? Cannot drill on chipmunk sized (10 x 10") OEM tables.
Mine = 13.5 x 23.5". Has vac attached to cutter hole (through) for hold down, swarf collection and cutter passage. MIne is flat to .001" and fit with accessories.
Only one note. If you have various inserts for break through messes; you'll not achieve the kind of drilling precision I do. For ordinary work in wood you can use MDF underlay surface or plugs as long as you have clamping near the quill.

Terry Hatfield
03-02-2016, 2:07 PM
I have the Rockler table on mine. It's a pretty basic table but works great for me anyway. I'd venture a guess that virtually any table will be better than the naked factory table.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1676/24115503085_b38258d7d5_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CK1fTX)

Cary Falk
03-02-2016, 2:30 PM
I made my own version of the Woodpecker one since it was no longer available.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0637.jpg

Mike Cutler
03-02-2016, 3:29 PM
Do any of you use a drill press table? If so, do you find it useful? Did you buy one or make your own? If you were to buy one, which one would it be? I would kind of like it to be easily installed. I have a Porter-Cable 12 speed drill press from Lowes.

I have a lower quality bench top, 12" Delta, drill press with an Incra table. I think the table cost twice as much as the drill press when it was new.
I've done some pretty good work on that drill press/table setup. I drill wood and metal on the table. I modified a metal vise to work with it.
I've probably had it for over 15 years, and consider it probably my best purchase dollar for dollar.

Don't worry too much about ease of installation. Once it's on, you'll probably not take it off.

I don't think Incra makes a drill press table any longer, but the models from Woodpecker and Rockler look the same. You could make one your self, but by the time you got done, might find, that you were better off just buying it.

Ben Rivel
03-02-2016, 3:46 PM
Ive been planning to add one to my drill press (Delta 18-900L), but Ive been wondering, being that its going to be a semi-permanent fixture on the drill press and it will be covering the existing cast iron table, what do you guys use to protect the cast iron table from rusting if youre not keeping up on waxing it? Some sort of grease and then wax paper and then the new table can just go on top of that?

John Sanford
03-02-2016, 5:58 PM

yes, I have one. I find it very useful.

I made my own, in part because I wanted the experience of doing the lamination. Were I to require another one, if I didn't have the materials on hand, I'd likely simply buy one, most likely the Woodpeckers, but I would certainly look around before actually doing so.

One thing to be careful of when building (or buying) one is to NOT make the table too large. Too large is, unfortunately, a fluid concept. How large is too large? Can you easily reach the crank (or what-have-you) for raising and lowering the table? This depends on your own size and reach, and also the location of the DP. If it's backed up against a pillar in middle of the space, then reaching the crank is easy peasy. If, on the other hand, it's against a wall with cabinets on both sides, the only reach is across the table. Can be bothersome. DAMHIKT.