PDA

View Full Version : How to replace the bearings on a bosch router

Andrew Pitonyak
03-01-2016, 7:07 PM
I ordered some replacement bearings for my Bosch 1617 router since there is some play. For most things, it is fine, but....

The parts came today.... I have a one for each end of the shaft. I looked at the back end of the shaft and I thought "how does that thing come off". Do I need a special puller? It looks like it is press fit onto the shaft. I expect that this is the case on the other end as well. Of course on the other end, I think that I need to undo this really thin bolt and all of my wrenches are much to thick to then be able to twist the shaft with another wrench. I also have no idea if it is the standard threading on that nut. <sigh>

I figured that while I was in there I would replace some bearings and the brushes.

Rick Frye
03-01-2016, 8:44 PM
arbor press is your friend with appropriate tooling

Andrew Pitonyak
03-01-2016, 10:30 PM
arbor press is your friend with appropriate tooling

Oh... In other words, I may not be able to do this at my home...

Chris Fournier
03-01-2016, 11:14 PM
Oh... In other words, I may not be able to do this at my home...
Yes and no. Depends on how stubborn you are. You can buy pullers or make some simple tooling and get it done. Try YouTube and you will see what is involved. You can do it!

Ole Anderson
03-02-2016, 11:40 AM
I was able to remove the bearings on my 3.25 hp Hitachi by using a pair of composite door frame shims as wedges. First I used a hole saw on a piece of oak, then ripped it into two halves to make a jig to hold the armature in my vice without damage. Another option would be to go at it with a Dremel tool and an abrasive cutoff blade to split the bearing. Reinstalling the bearings, put the armature in the freezer first and have the right size deep socket ready to use as a bearing driver pushing on just the inner race. But think out the assemble sequence carefully, I pressed on the new bearing forgetting to install a keeper first.

Roger Pozzi
03-03-2016, 7:05 AM
Your local NAPA store should have the ability to do this, I know my local store does. It's not much of a job for them and should be relatively inexpensive.

Andrew Pitonyak
03-03-2016, 8:44 AM
Your local NAPA store should have the ability to do this, I know my local store does. It's not much of a job for them and should be relatively inexpensive.

Now that had not occurred to me, I will check it out.

Mike Hollingsworth
03-03-2016, 10:05 AM
Anybody with the knowhow to replace bearings should have a press.
Harbor Freight is your friend.

Andrew Pitonyak
03-03-2016, 10:59 AM
Anybody with the knowhow to replace bearings should have a press.
Harbor Freight is your friend.

Any thoughts on press size?

Side note: they sell a hamburger press, never would have guessed that.