PDA

View Full Version : Old chisels, hardening toasted ?

Lasse Hilbrandt
03-01-2016, 10:31 AM
I picked up a few old E.A Berg chisels from a closed modelmakers workshop. I can see on the grinding marks that they are sharpened free hand on a grinding wheel. I saw the grinder in the shop and it had a small water resovoir next to it, so I think the workers tried to keep temperatures low when sharpening, but what are you guys experiense when you find old chisels or plane blades, are the hardening often toasted?

Kees Heiden
03-01-2016, 11:12 AM
No they are rarely toasted. Just sharpen them and try how they hold up.

Nicholas Lawrence
03-01-2016, 11:27 AM
Lasse, I have to say that on my list of unlooted treasure houses (from a woodworking point of view anyway), Denmark did not even make the list. It sounds like you are having some good luck over there.

Nick

Lasse Hilbrandt
03-01-2016, 11:43 AM
Nick. You are welcome to come and jointer me in my rust hunts ;-)
The whole carpentry industry has mostly died here and there are more than a few closed workshops with full inventory around just waiting to be found. I have two colleagues who's grandfather were cabinet makers but died years ago. But their widows are not willing to sell out of emotional reasons which I fully understand. Im waiting with patience

Jim Koepke
03-01-2016, 11:44 AM
I cannot recall any of the used blades of my handling having be ruined by heat. Most that have been ruined have obviously been ruined by moisture.

jtk