PDA

View Full Version : Delta Scroll saw 40-680 blade problems

Jim Siniawski
03-01-2016, 7:47 AM
Hi Swc. Community
I'm new to this forum.
I was recently given a Delta scroll saw to use. Model number is 40-680 .I have tried for 3 days to use it but can't get the blade to stay in . I even pushed too hard on the quick blade release lever and it popped out . It took 20 minutes to figure how it went in.
Yes I've read the owners manual (on this site )but it is very poor in describing how to install a blade . Now I'm not stupid but it has made me feel that way. I've tried adjusting the tension nut which holds the blade and tried every which away to engage the arm that is the quick release lever . The saw is rated highly but not by me . I'm desperate to get it going but am about to give it back . There are no you tube videos showing installing a blade . I even starred at the set up thinking it may be put together wrong . By the way the saw is brand new and has never been used. Thinking it may be 5-10 years old . Any scroll saw 'rs out there that owns this model I could use some help . Not knowing how this works you can private message me . I was excited about the possibilities. I've met an award winning intarsia guy but his saw is a Dewalt. He offered to lend me his patterns if I wanted . He is very particular and has them all bagged up and labeled. His work is phenomenal. Before I go and pick his brain I have to at least be able to install a blade . Lol
thank all for you feed back in advance .

Lee Schierer
03-01-2016, 8:00 AM
Is the blade coming out of the top holder, bottom holder or both?

Rick Hutcheson
03-01-2016, 8:29 AM
Might try watching this video
http://www.scrollsaws.com/images/TipVideo/DeltaClampSet.rm

Jim Siniawski
03-01-2016, 8:42 AM
Is the blade coming out of the top holder, bottom holder or both?
Both I've tried to adjust the screw that holds the blade it says it's finicky I think they made the saw like a tank but really didn't give much thought about the blade holder . Even if it did work I can see this failing in time . To take a blade in and out with this set up would take forever . I had a buffalo scroll saw that you tightened with an Allen wrench and the sold an alternative quick release set up . That was a very cheap saw but it worked ok
I'll check out the video the next guy posted but hope an actual user replies.

Charles Lent
03-01-2016, 1:19 PM
You have the blade clamps with the lever on the side, right? Are the bolts that go through the clamps stretched or bent?
If so, replace these bolts with better quality, harder bolts of the same size and head style. Your problems will be over.

I had this problem on my Delta 40-650 a few months after I got it (I was using it heavily at the time). Delta sent me new bolts and they have been in it for 18 years without a repeat of the problem. It's an easy fix and will cost less than $1 if your saw is out of warranty, or free if it's still in warranty.

Charley

Jim Siniawski
03-02-2016, 6:52 AM
HI Charlie
Thanks for responding. This saw is basically brand new . I've tried everything . Yes the holder has the bolt going through with a knerald gripped end on it. It also has those thin leavers with plastic ends . I looked at then after reading a post about their possibly being bent. The way they are in the back of the holder has a tee on the end of it which rotates Inbetween the two parts in the back. As you move the lever back and forth it separates the halves causing it to tighten as its rotated toward the blade. Sometimes when you engage the top threaded rod it pulls the blade out of the holder. Sometimes you think you have both top and bottom really tight and you turn on the switch and the blade pulls out of the bottom. What does changing the bolt do ? I can try that. The way the holder is designed I'm thinking unless your very carefull the spring and lever set up won't last. I don't like how the lever is easily popped out almost from Inbetween the back portion of the bracket set up. I was hoping they upgraded the blade holder with a better design
I hope I've understood what you've stated. I will have to learn how to post a picture which may make it more clear. Don't know how to get you to pm me so I can email some pictures from different angles

Lee Schierer
03-02-2016, 8:06 AM
I will have to learn how to post a picture which may make it more clear. Don't know how to get you to pm me so I can email some pictures from different angles

How to post photos!
(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?241301-Gifted-a-planer&p=2535006&highlight=#post2535006)

Rick Hutcheson
03-02-2016, 8:25 AM
What the knob on the top is for is setting the tension. Here is another video on my site how to use that.
http://www.scrollsaws.com/images/TipVideo/DeltaTensionSet.rm

The blade clamp you are using is called the Delta Quick Clamp.

If you check my site I also have a lot more information about the saw.