PDA

View Full Version : Laguna DC Pops Breaker???

Derek Arita
02-29-2016, 5:29 PM
I have a Laguna 2hp DC that's on a 20A 230V circuit. I've been using it for a few years without issues, as a hobby machine. I really only gets used for occasional projects. Anyways, the last couple of times I've used it, it will make a funny whining noise, then pop the machines breaker or the panel breaker. Most times it work fine, but this happens occasionally. Anyone else have this issue? What could it be?

Ben Rivel
02-29-2016, 5:33 PM
Have you tried contacting Laguna regarding the matter? Also although its rare there isnt by chance a GFCI and/or AHCI breaking on that 220V circuit is there?

Derek Arita
02-29-2016, 5:57 PM
Haven't bothered with Laguna yet cuz I've heard they have terrible CS after the sale. No gfci.

Bill Orbine
02-29-2016, 6:08 PM
The centrifugal switch might be the problem........ often times cleaning the contacts will resolve the problem.

Paul F Franklin
02-29-2016, 6:13 PM
If it has a start capacitor you might check/replace that as well, but Bills suggestion about the start switch (assuming it has one) is good. Sometimes they just get full of dust.

Mike Chalmers
02-29-2016, 6:16 PM
Haven't bothered with Laguna yet cuz I've heard they have terrible CS after the sale. No gfci.I only contacted Laguna once for assistance. It was for my 14 twelve band saw. Response was quick, courteous, and very helpful.

Art Mann
02-29-2016, 8:19 PM
Haven't bothered with Laguna yet cuz I've heard they have terrible CS after the sale. No gfci.

I first saw that claim maybe 10 years ago. You probably read it on the internet so it has to be true. Do you think maybe they could have improved their customer service in all those years?

Mike Wilkins
03-01-2016, 2:24 PM
Please contact Laguna for some assistance. The net was full of comments from a small handful of individuals with a concern. But my experience with my one and only service call for assistance was answered promptly with very helpful advice. And a follow up call 2 days later to see if my concerns were addressed properly. I would call that good customer service.

It is not unusual for a breaker to go bad for some reason or another. I had a similar concern with a dust collector kicking the breaker off; resolved with a simple breaker change.

Mike Heidrick
03-02-2016, 1:21 AM
Please post your results for us.