PDA

View Full Version : Music stand

Curtis Myers
02-29-2016, 5:29 PM
I recently started to learn how to play guitar. My TV room furniture is Greene and Greene style in Walnut so the Walnut music stand goes nicely with the theme.
The figured Walnut looks very nice in the sun.

Curtis Myers
02-29-2016, 5:33 PM
Guitar stand made from Mahogany with Ebony plugs in a G&G style to match the theme of the room.
The only part of the guitar stand that was turned on the lathe is the horizontal piece at the top.

Steve Russell tucker
02-29-2016, 5:44 PM
Sir these look incredible !! Great work!!

Allan Ferguson
02-29-2016, 6:37 PM
Great wood and great work to be proud of.

Stewart Campbell
02-29-2016, 7:29 PM
Very nice. I want to build some too.

Ben Pierce
02-29-2016, 8:32 PM
Wow, the figuring on the music stand is beyond awesome. Nice work!

Alan Heffernan
02-29-2016, 9:32 PM
Music stand is so interesting and beautiful it will distract the musicians who use it!!

Sid Matheny
02-29-2016, 10:43 PM
Looks wonderful but I could never cover that figured Walnut with sheet music!

kevin nee
03-01-2016, 6:56 AM
Very nice! It doesn't get better than figured walnut. Did you make it
from a plan? If yes is the plan available?

Curtis Myers
03-01-2016, 10:41 AM
Very nice! It doesn't get better than figured walnut. Did you make it
from a plan? If yes is the plan available?

No planes. I usually do a google search and click on images. I look at the photos to get ideas/inspiration from what others did. The music stand came from 3 or 4 photos I liked and did my own measurements.

John K Jordan
03-01-2016, 12:59 PM
Incredible, nicely done! I've made some ugly stands...

I like the way you made the ledge (tray, shelf) flat. I've seen some otherwise beautiful music stands made with a raised lip on the ledge, perhaps a misguided intention to keep things from sliding off. I saw a very expensive stand in an upscale gallery in Asheville NC that would have been impossible to use. I don't think these are made by people who use music stands since the raised part would hinder turning pages - when it's time to turn, there is certainly no time to fight with it! I like the adjustment features on yours, too.

Hey, do you make things to sell? If so, there may be a market for other stands - I had stands for french horn and trumpet for orchestra use. Most of these are chrome and plastic, utilitarian and not particularly attractive. Clarinet and oboe players might especially like a beautiful wooden stand.

JKJ

Stan Smith
03-04-2016, 5:28 PM
Incredible, nicely done! I've made some ugly stands...

I like the way you made the ledge (tray, shelf) flat. I've seen some otherwise beautiful music stands made with a raised lip on the ledge, perhaps a misguided intention to keep things from sliding off. I saw a very expensive stand in an upscale gallery in Asheville NC that would have been impossible to use. I don't think these are made by people who use music stands since the raised part would hinder turning pages - when it's time to turn, there is certainly no time to fight with it! I like the adjustment features on yours, too.

Hey, do you make things to sell? If so, there may be a market for other stands - I had stands for french horn and trumpet for orchestra use. Most of these are chrome and plastic, utilitarian and not particularly attractive. Clarinet and oboe players might especially like a beautiful wooden stand.

JKJ

I'm a musician and like stands with a slight lip to keep the charts from sliding off. If playing from a book the lips can be a pain if made too tall.
Unless I was a major soloist (which I'm not), there's no way I would take a chance using that stand in public. You would be surprised how many different ways there are to bang things around and mess them up. I can prove it with my horns. For me the most important factor in a stand is stability. The one Curtis has done is beautiful! I've thought about making a couple for me and my wife, but I'm sure they would get banged up even here at home. Guess we'll just stick with Manhassets.:(

John K Jordan
03-04-2016, 6:15 PM
...like stands with a slight lip to keep the charts from sliding off.

Yikes, I would not perform with loose sheets. What if someone opened a door and a gust of wind came through?! (Or weddings, outside!)

For casual use indoors, there is a different and simple route for loose sheets - to keep them from sliding off some grit on the tray does wonders (the black adhesive strips made for stair treads look fine on a black music stand.)

Far better than a lip, in my opinion, is the way the music tray is made on my Baldwin grand - there are beads/grooves machined the about 3' long and about 2" wide. These keep single sheets from slipping and don't get in the way of a stapled, bound, or loose-leaf book of music Far better than a lip, I think.

But where it counts, I do something completely different. For piano and orchestra (horn), if a piece has too many single sheets to spread out and tape together, I put them in 3-hole-punched glare-free plastic sheet holders and put them in a loose-leaf binder to make my own book. Quick to flip and zero chance of a disaster.

The blinder method is also a great way to make a collection of favorites or keep practice pieces together - if the music comes from books I copy to single sheets first. I did this when the music and/or conductor got creative with confusing repeats too, common with dramatic productions - I copied the pages and created my own linear score with no repeats to baffle my feeble mind.

JKJ

Stan Calow
03-05-2016, 10:45 AM
Curtis what is the mechanism for adjusting and securing the height of the stand? Is it a simple friction hold by screw, or are there holes in the column through which a peg inserts?

Stan Smith
03-05-2016, 1:34 PM
Yikes, I would not perform with loose sheets. What if someone opened a door and a gust of wind came through?! (Or weddings, outside!)

For casual use indoors, there is a different and simple route for loose sheets - to keep them from sliding off some grit on the tray does wonders (the black adhesive strips made for stair treads look fine on a black music stand.)..................snip...........

JKJ

We only use loose sheets. No time to mess with books on gigs. Here's what we use to play in the wind outside. You need 2 or 3. If it's too windy, nothing helps. You can see the chart through the clear plastic part over the front. Sorry for the digression, Curtis. Your stand looks great!

Curtis Myers
03-12-2016, 9:55 AM
Curtis what is the mechanism for adjusting and securing the height of the stand? Is it a simple friction hold by screw, or are there holes in the column through which a peg inserts?

No holes, I just thread the wood and make a wood bolt with a oval handle. I do more flat work then turning. Years ago I purchased the Beal threading system (see link below). For male threads it uses a router and a jig to rout threads onto a dowel. You must use the correct size dowels, Maple works the best. I purchase dowels from Beal. Use a tap for the female threads just like you would if tapping steal. Works very well, I use it for all kinds of things.
They also have a 1-1/4" x 8 tpi tap. Good for making jigs and fitting to directly thread onto lathe spindle.

http://www.bealltool.com/products/threading/threader.php