PDA

View Full Version : Sketchup on Ubuntu?

David L Morse
02-29-2016, 4:16 PM
For a variety of reasons I'm trying out Ubuntu on my best machine. Everything's looking pretty good except Sketchup. I'm trying to run it under Wine and know that I need to use the 32bit version with a 32bit Wine prefix. Has anyone gotten this to work? According to this (https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=33102&iTestingId=92635&bShowAll=true) it should, maybe. (Ubuntu 14.04 amd64)

If I have to give up Wine I'll try a virtual machine but that's not my preference.

Eduard Nemirovsky
02-29-2016, 6:52 PM
Who is Ubuntu?:D

Greg R Bradley
02-29-2016, 8:37 PM
I'm certainly strongly anti-Microsoft and feel that they should have competition. I feel that Windows 7 is a great product for business and Win 8,9,10 have been garbage and intrusive spyware, at best. My brand new HP z640 Workstation is Windows 7, of course, as Windows 8 never existed and Windows 10 is still experimental and not even worth looking at for many months, at best. I use Linux in a variety of way for the things it does best.

HOWEVER, trying to use Linux for a functioning desktop running a wide variety of software such as Sketchup is foolishness, much as I would wish it to be practical. Basically, the cure to the Microsoft problem is worse than the disease.

Using Linux for a productive desktop environment makes about as much sense as most of our current politicians.

Art Mann
02-29-2016, 8:37 PM
I believe David is referring to a particular implementation of the Linux operating system.