PDA

View Full Version : Blades for late 40's/early 50's Shopmaster jig-scroll saw

John Rhone
02-29-2016, 3:14 PM
Greetings all. I have an old Shopmaster jig-scroll saw that my father bought back in the late 40's or early 50's. I'm wondering if there are 6" plain end blades available somewhere that will work for this saw. It still works beautifully but I can't really find any blades on-line that look like they will work other than the very light scroll saw type. I have the owners manual and back in the day you could order blades as large as .028 thick by .250 wide in 20 and 7 TPI. The blades I have that were with the saw almost look like dad cut them from a band saw blade or something. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks.

Myk Rian
02-29-2016, 6:23 PM
Flying Dutchman blades.
https://www.mikesworkshop.com/blades.htm

Dave Lehnert
02-29-2016, 7:33 PM
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-6-in-15-tpi-scroll-saw-blade/p-00929447000P

John Rhone
03-03-2016, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. I have seen both of the blades suggested while searching online. To be honest I was hoping to find a little more substantial blade. This old saw is built like a tank and I have no trouble cutting through 1 1/4 inch hard maple with it. The only blades I have are ones that are as old as the saw. They cut but I can't help but think there might be a modern blade that will cut a little better. I was hoping to find something like the 1/4 inch wide blades I have now to rough out stock for pattern routing etc. I might just be out of luck.

John Lanciani
03-03-2016, 1:18 PM
You're on the right track with your initial thoughts; just buy a bandsaw blade with the specs you want and cut it to the lengths you need. Tin snips will cut a standard bandsaw blade easily.

Jim Finn
03-03-2016, 5:19 PM
Yes, what John said. Cut a band saw blade. I have done this for a DeWalt scroll saw.

John Rhone
03-03-2016, 5:55 PM
Yes, the band saw blade sounds like a good option. I should be able to match a blade to the chore at hand as well. Thanks for replying.