PDA

View Full Version : Another Rusty & Krusty plane on the way..

steven c newman
02-28-2016, 11:30 PM
I "won" a 22" long iron bodied plane. It will be in the mail, and might get here next weekend. Not much in the way of markings on it, just an "0-7"

All parts look intact. Some pitting at one end of the sole. Lots of rust. However, Ohio Tool Co. used a brown colour for their line of planes.

Don't know how to bring the picture from the auction site to here. Item # 201529093078
( and it is not a phone number) Coming up from Texas.

Hoping it is packed well enough for the trip. Even the horn on the tote is intact:D

So, for $18 + S&H......a Ohio Tool Co. No. 0-7...Not too bad:rolleyes:

Wiil post pictures when it gets here...

Stew Denton
02-29-2016, 12:40 AM
Hi Steven,

I have an old Ohio 04, which is about the same size as Stanley #4.

Post pictures after you restore it, and let us know how you like it.

For what it's worth, I think that after the war in some cases Ohio changed some of the numbers, adding another "0" on those the British bought for their secret agents. The serial number cast into the plane body matching the serial number of the agent. If you had the one issued to James Bond, plane "007", it might be worth some real money now.

Stew

Archie England
02-29-2016, 8:03 AM
Congrats! I've rehabbed two Ohio Tool planes. In fact, one might be the brother of the 07 you've won. I've got no complaints--my Ohio #7 works just fine. The other one I had was the 5 1/2; it, too, was excellent. I sold it to a friend who really wanted the 5 1/2 as a one-size-does-all plane. Though a superb plane, I prefer other sizes more.

Chris Hachet
02-29-2016, 8:20 AM
Now you have thee #7 sized planes in your collection...

Rob Paul
02-29-2016, 1:17 PM
My O 5-1/2 is badged as a National plane
A bit odd, as all my other National planes are "N" planes, (N4, N5, N6 etc ). Maybe Ohio Tools did castings for National Planes at some stage ?

steven c newman
02-29-2016, 9:23 PM
Will know more by this weekend, I hope. Just left the post office down in Houston,TX...today..

I have a 035 Razee ......the metal frames were painted a brown colour. Not sure IF this 07 will be the same.

Archie England
02-29-2016, 10:20 PM
My O 5-1/2 is badged as a National plane
A bit odd, as all my other National planes are "N" planes, (N4, N5, N6 etc ). Maybe Ohio Tools did castings for National Planes at some stage ?

My former 5 1/2 did not have a "national" mark on it. And, mine looked perhaps not as old as the front of your casting.

steven c newman
03-02-2016, 5:00 PM
Plane was taken to the post office Monday....and still hasn't moved? Unless the tracking number is screwy....it is still sitting down in Texas, must be waiting on the Pony Express to find a mule?

steven c newman
03-03-2016, 12:34 AM
Ok, enough about the shipping part...

WHEN this #7 sized jointer does show up in my mail box ( Monday??) I will do a photo thingy about how to rehab it. Even planes this size rarely take more than a day, at the most, to restore. Note: I do not use "soaks" or other chemicals in the shop. Maybe a few squirts of WD40....or, for the stubborn ones, a few shots of PBlaster. with a few pets always in the area, I do not need them taking a sip of anything soaking. Workshop is also down with the Laundry Room, so I do not think the Boss wants her clothes to smell like rust remover.

Plenty of before and after shots, warning, some may be ugly. Counting shipping, this Ohio Tool Co. No.0-7 was under $30. I doubt if the supplies to restore it will even be a third of that. We'll see...

steven c newman
03-05-2016, 1:10 PM
According to the "tracker", item is "out for Delivery" this morning..

Waiting on the Grumpy Old Mail Lady to set it nicely on my from porch....except, she always seems to take her time when I have a package in the mail....

steven c newman
03-05-2016, 5:29 PM
Well, just as we were about to go to the store....mailjeep went by. Walked around to the front door, and found a large box. Still had to go to the store, Boss' orders. Finally got back home, opened the box..
Ohio Tool Co. 0-7 The iron was badly bent, and snapped when I tried to take it back to close to straight. ( Have a spare iron) Chipbreaker was bent as well. Was able to straighten it out. The iron had a Globe logo, with a banner across it, with "OHIO" in the banner. Instead of stanley's round hole, this was a hex one. some other views?
Wood handles are in great shape.
Big mess under the frog..
Frog looks to be in good shape. The mouth? Someone had used a file on it, and now, I get to file it again, to correct the mis-guided attempt. Way off from being 90 degrees to the sides.
sole does have other "issues", but I think I can correct them, as well.

Might take most of the evening.....

Archie England
03-05-2016, 6:17 PM
Congrats! That's an oldie frog base, shared from Stanley to Sargent, and now apparently to Ohio. The ones I've rehabbed have worked well (or well enough). Enjoy.

steven c newman
03-05-2016, 9:19 PM
Hmmm, didn't take too long...
Will just have to do, for now.

Lenore Epstein
03-05-2016, 10:42 PM
Nice! Tell me--and I don't mean this to devolve into a painful discussion about the merits of non-chemical vs. different chemical methods--what do you use to remove all that rust & grime?

steven c newman
03-05-2016, 11:00 PM
Wire wheels, mounted on a drill press, sanders for flat areas.
Have a few different styles of brass brushes I use. Helps me get into the nooks and crannies.

Lenore Epstein
03-05-2016, 11:04 PM
Ah, those are a bit too messy for my apartment's 'dining' room. But thanks!

Archie England
03-05-2016, 11:18 PM
Good looking results despite the deep pitting on the toe. And, you're fast.

steven c newman
03-06-2016, 12:41 PM
Since I always rub the soles of planes I use with a candle....those pits will soon fill up with wax. May need to find someone to weld...
Twould be a shame to toss the old iron out. If I laid this iron on the table yesterday..there was over an 1/8" of space where the iron was bent up. tried the hammer route,,nada, vise and pull....snap! Chipbreaker wasn't much better, but at least I could fix it. Curved and cupped at the same time..
Shiny edges are from just sanding, had to hammer it flat and then tune to match the new iron.
Mouth opening:
Was out of square, and they'd even filed it at a bevel??? Had to scribe a line, and then file it back to a normal opening. Was someone trying to fit a Hock iron in this plane, and then gave up?

Wood parts merely needed a wipe down. I used an oily rag to add a bit of sheen. The bolts that hold the frog in place have lock washers. Not sure who placed them on this plane...I merely cleaned them up, and reused them.
Brass wheel had no markings, other than the three lines of knurling.

The bolts for the handles are just that..bolts
The lever cap has a small chip at one corner, not a biggie.

The other two No. 7s in the shop are "c" models, Type 9s from Stanley. I wonder if this new jointer is older?

Archie England
03-06-2016, 12:51 PM
The frog base would suggest that the Ohio plane is older; however, I don't know Ohio's history. Perhaps, they continued this earlier (but discarded) Stanley design for quite a while. I believe (someone please correct me here) that Sargent did indeed use the same frog base for quite a while. The former info comes from a study of plane types (years ago); the latter, from rehabbing numerous Stanley's and few Sargents. However, I'm forgetful sometimes, too.