PDA

View Full Version : Safety Jandals retreaded on the laser cutting machine

Keith Colson
02-28-2016, 6:54 PM
I laser engraved some new tread on all of my jandals today, what a win. They now have more grip than when I purchased them 6 years ago. I did 3 sets while I was in the groove.

Maybe some of you want to offer this service haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZjcUWBC7g4

Kev Williams
02-28-2016, 7:38 PM
Jandals? I must be old. When I grew up, those things were called "thongs", and "gay" was used (without any 'orientation' reference) in The Flintstones theme song...
;)

Kim McIntosh
02-28-2016, 7:43 PM
It's a Kiwi thing :)

David Somers
02-28-2016, 7:49 PM
In Hawaii they are called Slippahs. And if you go to someone's house you always leave them on the lanai (covered porch) and go inside barefoot. If you are at the house for a party or to talk story with a bunch of folks the key is to leave the party with better slippah's than you came with.

I love the idea Keith!!

As a kid growing up in New England we called them flip flops.

Dave

Mike Clarke
02-28-2016, 8:11 PM
That is cool. I wonder if the vector cuts will cause splitting.

It reminded me of the tire guys cutting sipes into slicks to make intermediates out of them. They would use them instead of rain tires when not really wet but not dry enough for slicks. Treaded tires used in hard dirt, snow etc also have sipes cut for increased traction.

I just was showing your video to my wife and noticed how steep your driveway is.

Keith Colson
02-28-2016, 8:55 PM
Kev: Type thong into Google and click images. Yes, in New Zealand it has been jandals for ever.

Mike: The vector cuts were done out of focus so "less" likely to split, here is a pic. You will also see my drift trike in that video too. That is for the driveway haha.

Mike Clarke
02-29-2016, 8:13 AM
Kev: Type thong into Google and click images. Yes, in New Zealand it has been jandals for ever.

Mike: The vector cuts were done out of focus so "less" likely to split, here is a pic. You will also see my drift trike in that video too. That is for the driveway haha.

Nice & rounded looking. I was thinking raster in rubber stamp mode with settings to get it rounded.

I didn't get a good look at the trike but it is the green tired thing. I have seen karters put PVC pipe on the deflated rears and re-inflate them to hold. Then they can drift like crazy. My brother and I tested a new setup Saturday morning on a parking lot that was slick. We over inflated some old slicks that were hard and the kart would drift fairly easy considering it is a low HP deal. (LO206 Briggs & Stratton) We could also bog the engine by gripping it up with lower tire pressure.

John Blazy
02-29-2016, 10:15 AM
Man that's a great idea. I have an old pair of steel toe work boots that lost their tread many years ago, and I hate wearing them on ice and snow. now I will fix their little red wagon. Last time I did it, I used a woodcarvers parting tool. Same one I used to put treads on my forklift tires. Too bad I cant get my forklift in my laser to do the back tires.

Out of focus should tread nicely. My wife might even let me do her boots.

Matt McCoy
02-29-2016, 10:21 AM
I learned what jandals are today. Are they available in a steel-toed option? :) This was interesting. Thank you for not linking the video of you retreading your thong. ;)

David Somers
02-29-2016, 1:15 PM
A life guard friend of mine down on the warm beaches of Hawaii was considered by many to be a bit of a healer. One person went to him with some stomach problems and he told the man to take a long strip of leather and chew about an inch of it after each meal and it would cure his problem.
The man did as instructed and when he had finally consumed the entire piece of leather he went back down to the beach to visit my lifeguard/healer friend. He informed him that the cure had not worked. He told my friend "the thong has ended but the malady lingers on"

Sorry. Its Monday morning and I couldn't resist.

Dave