PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a certain kind of spray gun with this sprayer? campbell hausfeld

Anthony Pantalone
02-28-2016, 6:38 PM
I picked up this sprayer today at a flea market and I was wondering if I can use any spray gun with it or does it need to be a specific kind? This is my first sprayer so I'm not familiar with it. Its a campbell hausfeld1001. I am hoping to be able to get a few cheap harbor freight guns to have a different gun for different finishes.

Jamie Buxton
02-28-2016, 7:44 PM
Yes. You need an HVLP gun.

I like the kind that pressurizes the paint canister. That allows you to spray a wider variety of finishes than an unpressurized canister. Dunno if Harbor Freight ones do that.

Howard Acheson
02-29-2016, 10:07 AM
The first thing I would do is to contact the manufacturer and get the instructions and documentation the came with the original unit. They may even be on-line. The documents should tell you what specifications the sprayer needs to operate correctly. In general, the gun is dependent on the output specs of the compressor or air pump. Paint guns need to be matched to the air source.

Once you get the info, get yourself a book like Spray Finishing by Charron. It will tell you how to set up and adjust your unit. It will also tell you about nozzles and what the individual knobs do.

Finally, effectively using a spray gun is dependent on learning and practice. Practice on cardboard boxes. Do not attempt to spray anything real until you are comfortable with the results of your practice. With smaller units, you may not be able to spray heavier and thicker materials.