PDA

View Full Version : What are these planes for?

Lasse Hilbrandt
02-28-2016, 5:55 PM

332664http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=332666&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1456699746 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=332666&d=1456699746)
The plane above has a 45degree small blade in each corner.

The plane above has a skewed blade and a nicker and a ajustable fence on the bottom.

Bill Houghton
02-28-2016, 6:05 PM
I'm mystified by the first one.

The second one looks like it was designed for cross-grain rabbets. The nicker and the skewed blade would give a better finish cutting across the grain, and the fence on the bottom would set the width of the rabbet.

Jim Koepke
02-28-2016, 6:11 PM
The first one looks like it could be used for cleaning up shoulders or maybe like a side rabbet plane.

jtk

Brent Cutshall
02-28-2016, 6:19 PM
It's what they call a rabbit or rebate plane and it's used for stair-like shapes on the side of boards. That looks like a Stanley.

Nicholas Lawrence
02-28-2016, 6:22 PM
Can you make out the writing or logo on the first one?

John Vernier
02-28-2016, 9:01 PM
The second one, with the metal fence and nicker blade, could be a dovetail plane. Is the bed square to the sides or is it angled? Dovetail planes have an angled bed which allows them to form the sides of sliding dovetails. Search for images of Emmerich or Ulmia dovetail planes for comparison. If it's not an angled bed, it is a moving fillister, essentially an adjustable fenced rabbet plane.

The other plane is very odd. With its blades so close to the nose of the body on each side, it looks like it could be made to work as a bullnose rabbet plane, but why two blades? I'm more inclined to think it is for thicknessing strips of wood for basket weaving, or something along those lines. The two blades could be set up for different thicknesses, and the plane held in a vise, rough split strips of wood being pulled through the mouth for thicknessing. What does the decal say?

Stew Denton
02-29-2016, 1:34 AM
Hi Lasse,

For what it's worth, I am of the same view as Jim on plane #1, it looks like a side rabbit plane, I think. Most of the other planes need photos from different views, but from what I can see, it looks like the 5th picture may be of something like a standing fillister plane. Without more pictures of different views, though, it is hard to say.

Stew

Warren Mickley
02-29-2016, 7:48 AM
The second plane is a moving fillister. It is a fillister because it is a rabbet plane with a fence. It is a moving fillister because the fence is adjustable and not fixed.

Lasse Hilbrandt
02-29-2016, 8:01 AM
The decal is just a worn out sticker from the tool shop that sold it. I think that the one with the fence must be a dovetail plane

Warren Mickley
02-29-2016, 9:22 AM
If your plane were a dovetail plane, the sole of the plane would not be perpendicular to the face of the fence. They appear perpendicular, and that is why it is a fillister.